Xml
Item Posts   

Weak Antifreeze

| 
kojo kojo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/30/07
09:51 AM

I recently flushed my old antifreeze and used a premix 50/50 (prestone); however, when I tested it the freeze protection is not that strong (-7C) so I need to add some concentrated antifreeze to the radiator. Whats the best way to do this? What concentration should I add to make the freeze protection stronger given that there is already premixed antifreeze in the radiator? (i.e 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 etc)?  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/31/07
07:19 PM

I don't know why anybody would buy 50/50 premix antifreeze and pay that much for water, think about the price how much did you pay for 1/2 gal of water? and what is the price for a gallon of full streangt antifreeze? It is not even strong enough for the climate in the northern states, a 70/30 mix would be ideal.  

Shag Shag
User | Posts: 136 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 09/01/07
08:19 PM

If your mix is to weak adding straight coolant will strengthen the protection level.  

MasterMind MasterMind
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 09/01/07
10:24 PM

a 50/50 mix will give you the best protection as far as freezing goes, if your testing it with one of those 1.99 testers from autozone its not going to be accurate, if you live in a climate where the mixture is that critical your gonna have to spend the money and get a refractometer. also , many brands have a chart on the coolant bottle to help you out  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com