First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  4
Item Posts   

Chemical Odor

| 
Rick Sauerzopf Rick Sauerzopf
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/22/14
10:32 AM

Hello, I'm also a 2007 Beetle owner. The VW dealer where I first saw the car was pretty sneaky, they opened up the doors and he trunk to air out the car before we went for a test drive. Camelback VW in Phoenix. It appeared they openened everything up for our inspection. We had the car for a few days before we really noticed the smell but thought it was because of some funky air freshener (burnt crayon). Now we pretty much leave the windows down. Please let me know if anyone makes any head way on this with the dealer.  

Rick Sauerzopf Rick Sauerzopf
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
10:37 AM

Hello, I'm also a 2007 Beetle owner. The VW dealer where I first saw the car was pretty sneaky, they opened up the doors and he trunk to air out the car before we went for a test drive. Camelback VW in Phoenix. It appeared they openened everything up for our inspection. We had the car for a few days before we really noticed the smell but thought it was because of some funky air freshener (burnt crayon). Now we pretty much leave the windows down. Please let me know if anyone makes any head way on this with the dealer.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1856 | Joined: 03/13
07:12 PM

find an enviromental testing company.. have them take some air samples from the car to test..

go from there..

be sure to take video of them testing the car..

with the beginning of the video showing that days newspaper.. then zooming in on the VIN number in the front window.. then the license plates in a walk around.. then the face and the inspectors name..   once you get the test done.. record the info off the door jam sticker.. showing the date of production..  

violetlupton violetlupton
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/01/14
05:05 PM

My goodness. I have a 2003 vw bettle and I love it, but I have to drive with the windows down or at least cracked the order is do so bad.i think this is where my cough is coming from. I have called so many people but don't help . I've cleaned everything inside and out nothing helps.if anyone has a answer please let me know thank you.  

tatorskate tatorskate
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/14
Posted: 07/14/14
11:51 AM

I have an exhaust leak coming into the cockpit of a 2007 TDI Touareg it ruined my life contact info Larry 954 788 8240  

Sue in Atlanta Sue in Atlanta
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/14
Posted: 10/06/14
08:30 PM

I had a 2006 Beetle...no issues...I now have a 2013 Beetle convertible. If your smelling burnt crayon I know what the problem is. My car has smelled from the first few weeks I had it....brought it to the dealer at 2600 miles...they said they could not re-produce the smell....Mine is a toxic glue type smell...horrible...it blows out of the air conditioning vents. Took it back at 7,000 miles to a different dealer...same thing...they said there was no smell...Third time at 8500 miles took my husband with me this time....same thing..."We're not saying your crazy but no smell"....Then before the day was out we get a call saying the car could not be fixed...Wanted me to trade it in and asked for my finance info. Car was paid cash...We go back to the dealer and we're told the smell is coming from underneath the car. They put it up on the lift and found where the smell was coming from. It seems when the cars are built they apply something called Cosmaline to the under carriage to prevent rusting in shipping over the water. Too much was applied and when the car gets hot the Cosmaline is melting and the smell is coming through the vents. I pick up my new 2014 tomorrow.....VW of America chipped in a percentage and we paid a nominal fee to upgrade to a Turbo and and we paid for the transfer fees and our states Ad Valorum Tax.....I'm happy because the smell is horrible but I am not convinced this "grease solvent" is the problem. Cosmaline is suppose to smell like (burnt crayon) which yours does....Mine is more of a glue smell...I have a feeling they know more about it and just wanted me out of the car...not complaining at all as they were very nice but a bit concerned what I have been inhaling daily for a year and a half....Hope this helps you  

08:36 PM

Hi I just posted what the dealer found to be my cars smell problem....it is horrible,,,,have someone put your car up on a lift and see if it's got Cosmaline on the under-carriage of the car that is melting from the heat of the car...It's a grease like solvent they put on the car when it's built to prevent rust in shipping ......if too much is put on it will start to melt once the car gets hot. My car smells of a toxic glue so I'm not totally convinced that the Cosmaline is the issue because I heard it smells more of (Burnt crayons) where mine is a distinct glue smell....but they are replacing my car for a nominal fee...Mine is a 2013. hope this helps...  

08:44 PM

TO EVERYONE ON THIS POST WHO HAS A BURNT CRAYON SMELL IN THEIR VW BEETLE OR VW CAR....IT IS A SUBSTANCE CALLED COSMALINE THAT IS APPLIED TO THE UNDER CARRIAGE OF THE CAR WHEN BEING BUILT TO PREVENT RUSTING IN TRANSPORT ACROSS THE WATER. IF TOO MUCH IS APPLIED WHEN THE CAR GETS HOT IS WILL START TO MELT AND THE SMELL WILL SOME THROUGH THE AIR CONDITIONING VENTS. COSMALINE SMELLS LIKE BURNT CRAYONS. IT CAN NOT BE REMOVED....I HAVE A 2013 WITH ONLY 8,000 MILES AND JUST FOUND THIS INFO OUT FROM MY DEALER. THEY PUT IT UP ON THE LIFT AND SAW THE STUFF MELTING OFF....(AFTER BRINGING IT IN THREE TIMES AND BEING TOLD BASICALLY THAT I WAS CRAZY) BUT I HAD A GOOD OUTCOME....HOPE THIS HELPS ALL YOU GUYS...  

greenportbeach greenportbeach
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/15
Posted: 03/16/15
04:15 PM

I purchased a 2014 Beetle and have had the "chemical" odor from day one.  I have complained multiple times and each time just like all the other posts they tell me they can't smell anything.

I will also sign a class action suit, but looking at the dates on this forum they are mostly from 2010, so I don't know what is happening now.

If you are still checking this site, please reply.

Thanks!  

John Dominey John Dominey
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/15
Posted: 11/06/15
04:22 PM

Hi I have 08 Merc SLK same sort problem. Removed dashboard airbox and seperated contents ie evaporator heat exchanger.Not the problem source. However all wiring absolutely reeked of this burnt chemical odour thet quickly diffusses into cabin and makes occupants ill.

Probably carcinogenic to boot! May be other sources ie insulation etc as well.

I know its a Merc not VW however there siblings. Somethings gone wrong and people are getting seriously poisened.

Need to analysise atmosphere of vehicle.  

John Dominey John Dominey
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/15
Posted: 11/06/15
04:24 PM

Hi I have 08 Merc SLK same sort problem. Removed dashboard airbox and seperated contents ie evaporator heat exchanger.Not the problem source. However all wiring absolutely reeked of this burnt chemical odour thet quickly diffusses into cabin and makes occupants ill.

Probably carcinogenic to boot! May be other sources ie insulation etc as well.

I know its a Merc not VW however there siblings. Somethings gone wrong and people are getting seriously poisened.

Need to analysise atmosphere of vehicle. Mad  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2130 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 11/07/15
10:17 PM

Probably need to find an enviromental testing lab of some kind.

You might want to contact consumer reports .  They might know of a testing lab or if you are close they might test it.

Try posting this over at reddit mechanicsadvice  

First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  4
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Volkswagen Beetle
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Hatchback, Convertible
Rating:
Above Average Above Average

Research Categories: