Item Posts   

Chemical Odor

| 
sallysunshine sallysunshine
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/27/10
07:49 PM

Icon Quotegrlustig:
Would you tell us who you contacted to get the test done and how much it cost. I am another one who has the crayon smell. My wife and kids refuse to get in the car. I cant afford to dump it right now. I really like the car.
I would sign on a class action suit in a minute. Anyone know who we can get one started. Reading all these posts and other forums I wont buy a VW again.

I also have the smell of crayons in my car & my husband won't ride in it. I'm in agreement that we need to file a class action lawsuit. Any idea on how to get one started? I'm going to have to sell this car if I can't figure out a way to get rid of the smell!  

cljohnson1989 cljohnson1989
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 09/06/10
08:35 PM

OH! SALLYSUNSHINE! im sorry you just bought hell on wheels!! Not only does it smell like crayons and there is about NOTHING you can do about it, everything is plastic and it breaks easily!  Do not get the ionizing test from the dealership its a BIG waste of money and time. I dont see how Volkswagen gets away with selling POS cars to ppl. Yeah there cute and whatever but they are not worth smelling like crap and driving a plastic melting machine. I am buying a new car on FRIDAY and i cant wait to never smell crayons again! AND you better believe I will never by another VOLKSWAGEN again Ooo  

zuleikavw zuleikavw
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/16/10
06:49 PM

we bought a used 2010 passat wagon and the smell with it,my wife is pregnant & mostly drives the car. reading ur post worries me. having the car looked at by dealer mon. however i would like to share my findings. I lifted my rear seats & removed a sound dampening material, underneath lies the problem. There are strips of black sprayed on adhesive/foam. I belive this is for sound dampening too, after driving the car for a while this area is heated(due to muffler being directly underneath)and basically cooks the hard plastic foam.  

I am a hvac mechanic/technician.i handle many diffrent chemicals & gases THE SMELL IS NOT 410a From a/c. the smell is not oil,exhaust,..etc. I agree it does smell like crayons, or burning plastic.will follow up after dealer visit  

Nicko1034 Nicko1034
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/19/10
05:27 AM

I have a 2004 jetta that has the crayon smell. The dealership knows exactly what it is and they won't fix it for free. I figured it was my carpet that was ruined from the leaky sunroof. They fixed the sunroof twice and replaced the headliner and the carpet. My service guy even asked me if the smell was crayons. He said he can't fix that for free. It would cost thousands he said. It is the firewall behind the dash he says. They replaced the carpet but not the floor mats. Can you believe that?! And the existing mats don't fit the new carpet pegs. I'm contacting VW tomorrow to tell them I want new mats and the firewall replaced or they can take the car back, which we still owe 9 grand on. I'll report the answers I get tomorrow......if anyone still reads this.  

buschn buschn
Posted: 09/20/10
07:01 PM

Does anyone know the exact name of the chemical? I am concerned about health effects.  I have a three month old and now I am afraid to take him on the four hour drive to my mother's.  

Nicko1034 Nicko1034
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/21/10
05:49 PM

VW will not give me floor mats that fit my new carpet, nor will they fix the firewall. They say the warranty has expired and there is nothing they can do for me. I've spent over $3,000.00 in repairs since aquiring this car over the last 3+ years. The only thing they'll do is give me a $1,000.00 voucher toward my purchase of a NEW VW only. Pretty disappointed. I can't believe this firewall issue is not a recall. They even know that the crayon smell is coming from the firewall. BTW, if you have this problem, not only does your car have this smell, the smell gets and stays on you as well. Just ask a friend or your significant other who has been sparing you the embarrassment of letting you know that you smell like toxic crayons.  

07:23 PM

I just sold my VW bug to a dealership because the smell was so horrific! It cant be healthy and until someone gets extremely sick from it there not going to help you, when it is there fault for putting the firewall in!!! How can VW get away with it.....its ridicuolous. and theyll give you a 1000 dollars to buy another POS car by them....haha. WOW! I let everyone I know to never purchase this car because 1. there customer service SUCKS. they lie and say they donnt smell the odor. and then when you take it to volkswagen of america they cant do anything to help you either. 2. everything breaks in the car because its plastic crap! 3.almost abouit every car volkswagen makes up to like 2004 or 05 smells like CRAYONS!  

07:25 PM

oh and i would never let my three month old baby drive in that car!  

meyster meyster
Posted: 09/30/10
08:36 AM

I have had the crayon smell for months now, but recently I started having a burning plastic smell. There is no smoke and we have changed out every sensor and most of the crappy plastic tubing in the car. could this smell be from this same insulation problem.  I will never buy a VW agian!  

cpicken cpicken
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/23/10
04:26 PM

I just purchased a 2002 Beetle from the original owner. It was an hour and a half drive home and now a day later I am sick. My throat is swollen and I'm not feeling well. I know it is from what ever odor the car interior is emitting. I'm worried about my health more than anything. Chemical odor like what I am experiencing can't be good for the body. I would like to see toxic test results. I find all of these complaints related to this smell a real eye opener. If people are getting sick there should be a class action lawsuit to force VW address this problem and find out if there are any long terms health affects from the odor. I am going to look into this. Remember the movie Erin Brockovich? Things like that happen in real life and the corporations only look out for their own interests. This is all very interesting.  

cpicken cpicken
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/24/10
09:07 AM

What about the carpet in the trunk area? Do you recommend replacing it as well? I wish I had bought another Honda Civic. This VW is turning into a money pit. Never again will I buy a VW. The manufacturer should have issued a recall.  

2006Beetle 2006Beetle
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/27/11
08:20 PM

I have heard that this oder is from the polymers they use underneath the carpets.  My daughter has a 2006 Beetle that she smells like when she walks in the house. This cannot be good for her health.  I wonder what it is that sticks to everything in the car and makes it smell even after its been out of the car for a while. Replacing the carpets is a 900.00 job.  

eclipsedave eclipsedave
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/29/11
01:48 PM

Just now filed a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation. I also started a class action group on Facebook. Please join and share your experiences. There's too many fragmented forum postings about this and I wanted a central location for discussion. I want action, because I have suffered immensely from my car. 2000 VW Golf, living in Gainesville, FL.
Thank you all.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/222303194472489/?ap=1

I also found another group on Faceboook regarding the same issue:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/222303194472489/#!/group.php?gid=2225902987  

motormechdontwannabe motormechdontwannabe
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/18/11
11:43 AM

I hope you are still alive... the smell in your cars are caused by a leaking exhaust... The headache and light headed symptoms is the exposure to carbon monoxide... The burnt crayon odor is because your some oil is burnt with the fuel meaning you also may have an exhaust leak...its usually where the manifold meets with the rest of the exhaust muffler in the form of a flange.. that gasket can leak into the car's cabin area through the gear lever and handbrake section.... Extremely dangerous and life threatening... same as parking your car in the garage, opening your windows, shutting your garage door  gassing yourself.... I also agree with some of the other users about the heat causing the padding or insulation to melt... This is usually caused by the muffler being too close to or even touching the seat section of the car...    My disgust is that the experienced people from VW cannot pick it up.....  

JStirling JStirling
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/20/12
09:11 AM

I have a 2002 Beatle, same smell! So bad now that it is very hard to drive without the windows down. Took it to the dealer, told to by VW corp, VW corp said they would look into it and get back to me. So yesterday I met with the Service manager and a rep from VW corp. VW corp guy said that it was from a stain in the carpet, MY you know what!!! Anyway said he hadn't read anything about the smell, he didn’t have time for all the crap on the internet, stated though that VW had some cars that smelt like Crayons and VW corp used some sort of BOMB inside to get the smell gone??? My next step is to find a chemical engineer to test it and then hire an attorney to go after them. MY Beatle has 63000 miles and is in like new condition. There are so many people out there talking about this and VW should do something about it!!! Does anyone know of a class action suit against them?  

First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Convertible, Hatchback
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com