Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Chemical Odor

| 
postmortum postmortum
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/01/10
12:19 AM

I have a 2002 Jetta as well, the smell is 100% positive the insulation on the back side of of the carpet and the firewall pad. I am a body tech at a shop that specializes in VW's. I did a lot of research on this problem over a period of time and have a complaint in with VW of America. After pretending to "know nothing" about the issue I had the dealership switch the carpet in the car at a "discounted rate" of $500 which turned into $650. The car still stunk and they claimed "it's in the interior, and give it time to air out". 2 weeks later same, I then pulled the dash out of the car. This is a bigger challange than switching carpet, I removed the Insulation pad and replaced with regular automotive carpet. GONE!!!! Them smell instantly was cut by 90%. In about a week you could hardley smell it at all. Now I was assured by the dealer that the new carpet and pad was changed to prevent this from hapining again. Funny, no one heard of it but it was changed. I say that to tell you this, It is the following summer and guess what? Starting to smell again, I peeled back the carpet and yep the smell is there again, not as bad yet but it's comming. The heat is what breaks down the insulation, the hotter the day, the worse the smell. Firewall/engine heat thats the worst of it, it was so intense it made my eyes water stripping it off the firewall. I live in AZ. so the smell was horrible, my wife could not get in the car without (literly) getting sick. Sorry this turned into such a long post I am just giving some of the info I've found (I put tons of research into this, and time) so I hope this helps at least someone. This is my opinion from experince, if you are not going to go the whole 9 yards and switch the firewall insulation, don't waste your money on the carpet or tring to clean it(it cannot be cleaned), the main source is the firewall pad. Also if you switch the carpet, go aftermarket it does not have the European materials for corrosion protection. Good luck everyone!!  

cljohnson1989 cljohnson1989
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/25/10
11:32 PM

I have a 2002 Volkswagen Beetle and live in hot Arizona.   The smell of my vehicle not only is so strong it gives me headaches.  I cannot go anywhere in my vehicle without leeaving my car smelling like crayon and some sort of mold smell. I have tried everything!!! I took my car to the Volkswagen dealership and they denied even being bale to smell the smell in my car.  They told me at the dealership that they had never heard of this complaint before...like I was insane or something.  I ended up being referred to do a mold and air testing and to treat my car for mold...which did nothing.  I cannot deal with that smell any longer, its making me sick!!!!  

lovebeetle_hatesmell lovebeetle_hatesmell
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/02/10
11:51 PM

I am so sick of the crayon smell.  It follows me everywhere I go now! The smell is in my hair, on my clothes... in my closet! I took my car to the dealership, they kept it overnight with an "Ionizer" which would remove the odor.  SAME crayon smell when I brought my car back home.  The service agent claimed that he didn't smell anything to begin with, which is really frustrating.  They must be trained to say that! We really need to join forces and have VW do something about this.  My dad's old beat up truck smells better than my 2006 Beetle. Please add more posts if you are serious and fed up with the crayon smell.  

iheartNewCarSmell iheartNewCarSmell
Posted: 08/03/10
12:16 AM

HEY! I found a solution to the wet-rag-melted-crayon-chemical smell in my 2006 Volkswagen Beetle... Sell it! Seriously! And never buy a VW vehicle again!! VW will not do anything to help me because apparently, they can't smell it! VW has thoroughly trained their employees to say "I don't smell it."  ReallY VW? Really?! But my story has a happy ending, I drive a Nissan Smile (Big whiff) Ahhh... there's nothing like new car scent! Wink  

Posted: 08/05/10
11:17 PM

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL!!!! i also got the ionizer done too!! wtf is up with VW delaerships they look at you like your crazy and charge you for things to get done with your car when they know that will not help the disgusting CRAYON SMELL!!!! I am so sick of my car....its disgusting.   I leave the morning smelling so nice and then i drive one mile to my work and i get out of the car smelling like CRAYON and MOLD!!!! I talked to my insurance agency and they cant do a thing about it either. I wish someone would take the next step!!!! COME ON! Mad  

idriveacrayon idriveacrayon
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/06/10
08:49 PM

We bought a used 2004 VW New Beetle two years ago. There was a slight smell when we first looked at the car, but we were told that it was because the car was kept closed-up and not driven that much. (It had very low miles so the explanation seemed to make sense.)  We were assured that if we put the windows and the convertible top down,to allow the car to "air out", that the smell would go away. The smell has just gotten worse over time. Now it is so bad that, after being in the car for just a few minutes, our clothes and skin smell like a burnt crayon! We have been complaining to the dealer for 2 years now.

The dealership service department is now trying to help us. Up until now they said it smells like all the other New Beetles. They just did the ionizer treatment on the car, but it didn't help. Now they say they think it is the chemicals in the convertible top. It will be replaced next week.

In the meantime, we had a 2 1/2 day air quality test done. The results showed that the VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) were above acceptable levels. Anything above 500 ug/m3, for a day or more, is considered a cause for concern. Ours tested at 501 ug/m3 to 3000 ug/m3 for a day or more. This is a known problem for people with asthma, allergies, children, pregnant women, and the elderly. Our 16 year old, who has asthma and heart issues, has been driving this car for over a year. She has been complaining about not being able to breathe when she is in the vehicle. Now we know why!

Once the new top has been installed, we are having the air quality test repeated. I will post a reply to my own post with the results. If the results do not improve, and if the dealership does offer us an acceptable resolution, we will seek help from VW of America. If they don't resolve this for us, then we will seek legal help. We will consider a class action lawsuit (like those who have posted before us).

Has anyone contacted VW of America? If so, what was the outcome of the conversation? Anyone willing to truly join forces to get this resolved!?! If so, post a reply.  

Posted: 08/06/10
09:10 PM

Just curious, is anyone coming back and looking for responses to their posts?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4549 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/07/10
06:44 AM

are you a member of AAA  auto club...  they sometimes handle problems with manufacturers.

i would think that a filling out the form to this government agency might get something going..

since you have a printed report... with the VOCs found..

i don't know who you should contact with this problem..

you might try this link first..   one of the posts above.. described the smell coming from the carpet and carpet insulation...

please copy and paste the following link..

it is the quickest way to get help.. that goes to the proper united states government inspectors ..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is what you will see when you open the page..

FILE A SAFETY COMPLAINT

Form Approved: O.M.B. No. 2127-0008
HOW TO REPORT A SAFETY COMPLAINT
Select how you would like to report your complaint. See below for information regarding this form.
ONLINE: Select the "Begin Form" button to the right.
BY PHONE: Call the Hotline, Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at
(888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.

WHO WE ARE
We are The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways.
WHY YOUR COMPLAINT IS IMPORTANT
Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA-ODI's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.
If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must provide a remedy at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
HOW YOUR COMPLAINT IS HANDLED
Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) will open an investigation to determine if a safety defect trend exists. Some of these investigations result in safety recalls.
While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA-ODI investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends.
FILLING OUT THIS FORM
Types of safety complaints
There are four types of safety complaints you can report.
Vehicles: All motor vehicles -- cars, heavy trucks, RV's, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, buses, etc.
Tires: All types of tires -- requires you to submit your vehicle information as well.
Equipment: Non-original equipment -- replacement oil filters, wipers, RV accessories, lights, floor jacks, etc.
Child Restraint: All types of child restraints --infant seats, booster seats, convertibles, etc.
Time needed to complete
The average time to complete the minimum requirements of this form is eight to ten minutes. It is advised you gather the necessary information for your complaint type before completing the complaint form.
Information needed
Below is a list of items you will need for each type of Complaint. Select the "+" button for the type to see what information you will need.
Vehicles
Model Year
Make
Model
Component*
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (Optional, but very important)
Found on registration or insurance card.
* Component -- Part or system of concern
Tires
Equipment
Child Restraints
Consumer

Send your suggestions or comments to webmaster@nhtsa.dot.gov.

All the information that you submit to NHTSA will be transmitted using secure mechanism.

The Privacy Act of 1974 - Public Law 93-579, As Amended: This information is requested pursuant to the authority vested in the National Highway Traffic Safety Act and subsequent amendments. You are under no obligation to respond to this questionnaire. Your response maybe used to assist the NHTSA in determining whether a manufacturer should take appropriate action to correct a safety defect. If the NHTSA proceeds with administration enforcement or litigation against a manufacturer, your response, or statistical summary thereof, may be used in support of the agency's action.  

Posted: 08/07/10
09:29 AM

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the help!  

grlustig grlustig
Posted: 08/09/10
06:21 AM

Would you tell us who you contacted to get the test done and how much it cost. I am another one who has the crayon smell. My wife and kids refuse to get in the car. I cant afford to dump it right now. I really like the car.
I would sign on a class action suit in a minute. Anyone know who we can get one started. Reading all these posts and other forums I wont buy a VW again.  

Posted: 08/10/10
08:01 PM

I would like to know where you can get the test done also, this cannot be healthy!  

S500W220Benz S500W220Benz
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/12/10
03:57 PM

Where and how did you get the air quality tested? My car has a strong burnt crayon smell that is causing me to be dizzy. The smell is comming from under the front passenger carpet in the front insulation. I have a S 500 W220 Benz. Put this problem aside it is the best car i have ever driven...  

beers2010 beers2010
Posted: 08/22/10
03:18 PM

Does anyone have news on what to do to remedy this problem. My wife has a 2004 jetta she loves the car but lately we have had one problem after another. The smell is the big problem now and is getting worse. I have read these posts but don't think it smells like crayons I think it smells like freon or some kind of oil. It has been to two shops so far and the smell is worse and seems to be no cure in sight. The car recently had the a/c rebuilt and the smell started about the same time. Any advice would be awesome.  

Posted: 08/23/10
05:09 PM

I contacted a company called AdvantaClean. My friends own the local franchise, so we were given a discount. However, the regular pricing is typically under $500.00. The one drawback is that they couldn't tell us specifically what VOC we were dealing with. There was another company we contacted that could do that. They charge $350.00 for the test kit and $150.00 per hour for analysis.

We contacted Volkswagen or America, they started a case for us, and helped us. They told us that the smell is a known issue. It is coming from the adhesive used under the carpet. They contacted the dealership, and agreed to fix the car until the smell was removed. In our case, because we had excessive repairs for other issues, they helped us get out of the car. We had to purchas another VW car, at a VW dealership. The car we traded will be fixed and re-sold. We're happy to be out of the Beetle. We purchased a certified used 2010 Jetta. Hopefully, this one won't be so problematic.

Feel free to contact me if you want more information.... Matty@SuncoastHomeSales.com  

sallysunshine sallysunshine
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/27/10
07:35 PM

I just bought a used VW Beetle. I love the car but the crayon smell is more than I can stand. I found this thread on line. Can you tell me if anyone ever did anything about your crayon smell in your car? I asked at the VW dealership and the looked at me like I was crazy.  What did you end up doing? Is there any way to get rid of the  smell that you know of?  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2017 Volkswagen Beetle
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Hatchback, Convertible
Rating:
N

Research Categories: