1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Chemical Odor

| 
myjettasucks myjettasucks
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/21/07
07:14 PM

I have the new model 2005 VW Jetta... I have leased it since May '05...  So here it is, August '07 and all of a sudden the car has the most awful toxic chemical smell.  At first I thought it was fuel, and I brought it to the dealership where the service rep agreed it smelled like fuel.  After the car was there for 3 days, they called and said they cannot find anything wrong with it.  They said they "pressure tested" everything.  I picked it up, and it still smells... to the point of making you feel light-headed with a strong headache.  I brought it back to the dealership where 4 people got in and agreed the car smells, but they will not look into anything further.  It is under warranty, and I have been informed that they do not get paid for 3 days worth of work that does not find a solution.  The dealership claims it is the leather... after two years, how can the leather start to smell so toxic?  Any suggestions, comments, ideas???  HELP!!!  VW will not help- but they agree it smells!  The car is not even driveable for long distances at this point!  Blush  

buckwini buckwini
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/15/07
04:10 PM

My 2002 Jetta stinks like burnt crayons I can't take it anymore.  I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (U S Dept of Transportation) and am waiting for their review of my complaint.  I can't believe there are so many people with this problem & no one has done anything about it.  The "smell" is an obvious defect and we shouldn't have to put up with it.  I didn't pay $20,000 for a car I can't drive anymore because of the smell.  Let's all file a complaint, call Al Gore, Today Show, local news, anyone that will get the word out & get something done about this.  Maybe all cars are emitting fumes & vapors silently and that's what is causing all the cancer in the world.  Can anyone tell me the ingredients of the chemicals and plastics that make up my car?  Surely we have test results somewhere and I am going to find them one way or another.  Good luck with your stinky car!  

probee773 probee773
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/02/08
12:13 PM

I have a 2006 Passat which just developed the same problem at 22K miles.  I just brought it into the dealer for diagnosis.  The only think I can think that this could be is leaking R134a refrigerant from the A/C.  I know what gasoline smells like, and it's not that, and I pretty much know what all of the other fluids & gasses in a car smell like and it's not them either.  R134a is the only thing that goes into a car that I don't know the smell of.  After doing an internet search, I found a website that says R134a smells like ether and that is kind of what my car smells like.  We'll see what the dealer says.

Any luck with your car?  

CSm-#001 CSm-#001
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/03/08
10:19 PM

United we smell. Mad

I have an older Jetta - same smell....car's way out of warranty but runs smooth - when I bought the car, I assumed it was the leather...or a deoderizor....mine is not too bad...but it still bothers me.

I went into the dealership and inquired...more for a joke...as I already heard what their response was going to be from many others on-line.

Sure enough...."nope, we've never heard of that before??? Crayons?...huh...nope" There was even a mechanic at the front desk and I asked him too....(although the service guy wasn't happy)..same response...When I told them that this was all over the internet..they told me not to beleive everything that I read on the internet.

I even advised them that there were others who had the necessary repairs done to their vehicles at a VW dealership......so that they didn't smell...and this was something that I was willing to pay for...but they still played dumb.

I have researched this a lot and found out the following.

1. The smell (some say)is a result of an interior sound proofing mat under the carpet.(on some vehicles) .It is also common on BMWs and other vehicles shipped over seas (protection from salt water?)
2. VW apparently issued a TSB on it...but it seems that no one online can find it - I think TSBs are for specific vehicles so who knows which one the smell TSB was issued under....Beetle, Jetta, VR6, Passat...they all suffer.
3. I have found two people online who stated that this problem was corrected by VW for a cost of $600 and the other was charged $5k! Problem is..the people who had the problem corrected are not on the forums any longer...as they don't have the issue any longer...and there was no e-mail address...so I can't ask them what dealership did the work etc. as I would walk into my local dealership and smack them in the head with it!
4. The problem apparently can be fixed by removing the seats etc...and cleaning out this stuff.

I love the car...so I am going to talk to a friend at a body shop and ask him how much it would cost to have him do all this work...

Hope this helps...  

CSm-#001 CSm-#001
Posted: 01/03/08
10:42 PM

Link no longer works?  

CSm-#001 CSm-#001
Posted: 01/04/08
01:07 PM

Even more research and have found an answer...that may cure some of your problems.

One person just removed their entire interior seats, centre cousel and rear seats then the carpet...what they found was a soud proofing or deadening mat....this was the cause of the odour....
With this info, your dealership should be able to do the required work under warranty......

If the interior carpet is too contaminated..you can order another one from a site online called www.stockinteriors.com they seem reasonable. Laugh  

jettaowner jettaowner
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/04/08
09:14 AM

Icon Quotemyjettasucks:
I have the new model 2005 VW Jetta... I have leased it since May '05...  So here it is, August '07 and all of a sudden the car has the most awful toxic chemical smell.  At first I thought it was fuel, and I brought it to the dealership where the service rep agreed it smelled like fuel.  After the car was there for 3 days, they called and said they cannot find anything wrong with it.  They said they "pressure tested" everything.  I picked it up, and it still smells... to the point of making you feel light-headed with a strong headache.  I brought it back to the dealership where 4 people got in and agreed the car smells, but they will not look into anything further.  It is under warranty, and I have been informed that they do not get paid for 3 days worth of work that does not find a solution.  The dealership claims it is the leather... after two years, how can the leather start to smell so toxic?  Any suggestions, comments, ideas???  HELP!!!  VW will not help- but they agree it smells!  The car is not even driveable for long distances at this point!  Blush

The same thing happened to me.  I have a 2000 Jetta.  It has always had a distinct smell, similar to burning crayons that others have described on this forum and others.  Around August 2007, the smell intensified causing lightheadedness and headaches.  While I'm sensitive to the smell, others have not been (though they still smell the odor). At first it seemed like I had a nasal allergy, but it just continued to get worse.  After months of cleaning, changing the cabin airfilter, and doing research into potential causes, it is clear that this is caused by an off-gas coming from something in the ventilation system.  Whatever it is, it is also intensified when the heater is running.  Sadly, I may be forced to get rid of my car.  Which is too bad, because otherwise I love it. Frown  

Jhump9 Jhump9
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/04/08
11:33 AM

Hey, My girlfriend has an 2002 Jetta with the same issues of smell. All the answers are the same and I am in deliberation with VW USA. They cant confirm that removing the sound proofing material will fix it. However, they offered me a $1k voucher to get a new car. I dont want new car.

Where are you with the current problem?  

vwstinks vwstinks
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/20/08
11:37 PM

I have the same problem with an 07 beetle.  After extensive research I believe it is the wax insulation they use to protect the car from rusting and the smell is terrible.  It makes me sick.  I am still under warranty and waiting to see what the dealership is going to do about it. I don't even want the car anymore.  I will not stop with this issue.  We should ban together for a class action suit against VW.  I believe what we are breathing is dangerous.  

Jehssicuh Jehssicuh
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/17/08
11:55 PM

I have a 2002 Beetle...the NASTY DISGUSTING crayon smell hasn't always been there. It only came about a few months ago. I feel like I am going to pass out in my car. It is terrible! I know this is not good for us too! WHAT CAN WE DO?!  

vwjetta09 vwjetta09
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/06/09
01:20 PM

Serious interior fumes.  I selected the cheaper jetta with plush interior because I didn't want the vinyl "leatherette" upholstery.  What a mistake.  I picked up the car 3 weeks ago and it still reeks.  The fumes are so strong we have to drive with all of the windows open.  Each jetta I test drove had this odor, but to a lesser degree. Any ideas?  

geojetta geojetta
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/14/09
07:54 PM

Any of you have a "check engine" light along with the stinky odor?  If so (and possibly even if not), you may have a problem with the emissions control system.  I had the stinky odor on my 2000 Jetta a year after I bought it, and it turned out to be a faulty 02 Sensor.  I just started having it again this week--and again it comes with the check engine light.  The odor is pulled into the cabin by the ventilation system, but is minimized when I turn the "recirculate air" on. The odor I've gotten with this problem is a strong, chemically, "melting crayon with a hint of sulfur and unidentified caustic pesticide" smell. I'm taking my car to my serviceman tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's an emission problem again.  Probably the O2 Sensor again, or maybe the mass airflow sensor.  Volkswagens have a tendency to develop problems with both of these.  The problem could be with the catalytic converter or elsewhere in the emission controls.  Have your service person to thouroughly check your emissions system before assuming the problem is coming from the interior.  The smell could be caused by something else, but don't leave this out....  BTW, I hear the federal government has a emission warranty program for faulty emission control if the factory warranty is out.  It's up to 8 years/80K miles...  I don't have any more info on the program, but you may want to surf the net for more info if you indeed have a problem with a faulty emissions system.....  

trish2801 trish2801
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/08/09
06:29 AM

I just purchased a certified an '07 VW Beetle convertible and I noticed a smell.  Everyone who gets in it notices it as well, but we cannot pinpoint it's source.  It does not smell like mold, nor exhaust or that "rotten egg" smell.  I mentioned it to the dealer 3 times and the final response I received was that it just smells like a Bettle to them.  I, too hope that this smell will not cause me health issues later on.  I am in agreement on the class action suit.  We pay good money for these vehicles, we should not have to put up with this.  What happened to wanting to make the customer happy and standing behind what type of merchandise you produce?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/08/09
07:33 AM

just curious... has anybody contacted consumer reports magazine???/

they tend to get to the bottom of stinky items...

if it is coming in the car... from the wax protection that was applied prior to shipping...  i would take the car to a steam cleaning shop and have them do the engine side of the firewall where it might get hot from the engine and the underbody above the exhaust system...

i would also have the steam cleaning shop examine the exhaust tubing for overspray residue from the coating.

for the inside of the car.... there are a lot of products available to insulate the interior side of the floor pan and firewall..   most with adhesive on one side... and aluminum foil on the top side... is there is not an overlap.. it can be sealed with aluminum foil tape...  (yes.. they have tape made out of real aluminum foil, look in the A/C ducts area of the home improvement stores)

so you can go to a decent stereo shop and have them take the interior out... many of the better ones do it without breaking anything..  they can pull the carpet and padding ... clean and install the aftermarket thermal insulation sheets.. examine the carpet and padding for smells..

TSB's titles are available for free at www.alldatadiy.com       but i would think a call or printing this thread and mailing it to them would get results...

one last thing..   i would think that there are some medial testing labs...  that might have the ability to analyze air samples..

you might call and talk to your local health department just to point you in the direction of the proper testing lab..

some of the local fire departments may also know of tests for atmospheres... as they have to deal with train crashes and do air sampling.. ...

oh.. and the reason that i am talking about pressure washing or steam cleaning the firewall...  the fresh air into the car comes in at the base of the windshield as that is a high pressure area when driving..

oh.. and i stopped by alldatadiy.com found this TBS title

8708-08 NOV 08    A/C - Unpleasant Odors From Vents

with the above number...  any shop with alldata, mitchell,  or even a VW or audi dealer should be able to print out that TSB page for you...

of you can check it at alldatadiy.com    see if it is listed for your volkswagen or audi.. in the tsb's and take a subscription .. that way you can print it... and show it to your dealer or zone office to get it fixed ...   i am still searching for the text ...  

vonharter vonharter
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/28/10
09:10 PM

My husband has a 2001 Jetta, which my daughters describe as emitting a crayon smell, but I describe it as oil or fuel. I cannot be in it for even 5 minutes without smelling of oil. I would love to find out the source of the problem, but VW doesn't have an answer. Class action suit would be awesome.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Volkswagen Beetle
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Convertible, Hatchback
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com