1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

what is an internet sales manager?

| 
goducks goducks
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/21/07
07:43 AM

Are these people physically located at the dealer location or do you just make the deal on line then deal with another sales person at the dealership?  

rgiesbers rgiesbers
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/15/07
11:06 PM

http://www.ismConnection.com

This site is only Automotive Internet Sales....

User Forum

Classified Ads

Job Listings

We are looking for Internet Sales Experts who want to help others with what they know...  

More to Come...  

negotiationfree negotiationfree
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/19/07
06:59 AM

Internet Sales Managers are always on the dealership premises. They supervise and make decisions for them and the other internet saleman. The size of a dealerships internet department, is usually reflected by the size of the dealership itself. When looking for the best price, other then using an auto broker like myself the internet manager is a good direction to go

David Sultan
dave@negotiationfree.com
Miami Auto broker  

jjizacarfreek jjizacarfreek
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/07/07
08:27 PM

Icon Quotegoducks:
Are these people physically located at the dealer location or do you just make the deal on line then deal with another sales person at the dealership?

In my experience, we are located inside the dealership.  If a shopper is not doing their research, and they just arrive at a car dealership, they'll be approached by a 'retail car salesman.'  If they have been on line, checking price quotes, building their own car on a factory web-site, or inquiring about a car listed on-line, those are a few ways they will be dealing with an Internet Sales Manager.  There are MANY benefits to dealing with an Internet Sales Manager like myself.....  

dgreene dgreene
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/26/07
05:04 AM

Offered a position in internet sales with DealSTAFF-

Any suggestions.  Professional sales/management and real estate background.

New to car business.  What to look out for.  

CLSGuy CLSGuy
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/12/07
11:16 PM

It really depends.  They can either be part of the dealer that you are visiting online and therefore be at the branch you are dealing with.  But most likely, since its on the Internet, you are talking to a middleman who will also get some kind of cut if he closes a deal for you with a dealership.  It's probably best to deal with people you can trust and perhaps even more physically at the dealership itself.  Nothing beats walking in for a test drive.  
The Best Car Lease Deals can be found at:

http://www.carleasingsecrets.com

underfrog underfrog
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/17/07
07:02 AM

Hi Buddy,

I was in your seat about 3 years ago.  Generally here's the dirt on dealerstaff...

Decent lil program, they give you a 3-4 day training seminar, more of a motivational lesson w/ a few facts and send you in blindly on an interview.  They get paid to feed "trained" car salesmen to dealerships.  Truthfully, you don't need Dealerstaff to get a job.

Internet sales is great, but you can pretty much forget it for now.  It's just a hook, you're the same guy as the one sitting next to you, and you generally will all start out on the floor.  Then it's up to you to prove yourself and make aware to the management that you want to move to Internet sales.

I am now, 3 years into the business and making good money as an Internet Sales Manager selling cars and running our department.  But I'm a lucky one.  I spent 1yr and 3 months on the floor successfully before I got my start.  When I moved to Internet I got a slack schedule and a lousy paycheck.  Pulling in about 45k/yr as the top performer, I was offered a job from another dealer and jumped all over it.  Though the hours went back up to 55/week... the money was almost double.  

My best advice to you is that the car business is great.  But it's not for everyone, not even for most.  The hours are long and the industry is very competitive.  However, if you strive to succeed, be #1 all the time, and are willing to put in the effort... there are few other jobs where you can realistaclly walk in the door with no experience or education and make pretty much 40k guaranteed and possibly 75k+ .  

Finally if you do get hired directly into an Internet Sales Position... suggest to the dealership that you want to get your feet wet and spend a few months on the floor to learn your product, dealership, environment and sales process... that way you'll have the knowledge and know how to make sure you're strong in the Internet department.  

Dan  

underfrog underfrog
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/17/07
07:10 AM

Rarely is an Internet department off-site, but it's not unheard of.  

You pretty much have two different Internet Department Models in the industry:

1) Cradle to grave: In the CTG model, your salesman that you speak with via phone and e-mail becomes your salesman in person.  The information you've discussed and rapport you've built, follow through into the sales process.  In most cases when you arrive at the dealership, you've already picked a car out of inventory, agreed on a price, and are more or less ready to make your purchase.  The salesman then shows you the car, takes you for a test drive and you finish the process.

2) Appointment Setter:  As an appointment setter, the salesman job is to do just that.  Process the incoming internet lead or phone call, answer questions and bring the customer to the dealership.  Once that customer arrives he/she is handed off to another sales person to complet the process.  The advantage to this model is it allows the Internet department to constantly be by the phones and e-mails and provide the quickest response time.  I don't like this model because I feel when I am working with a customer over the phone and Internet, my personality and hard work have a large impact on that customer choosing to do business with me.  What's the point of all that when they only meet me for 10 seconds when they arrive?

Either way, in most cases an Internet department is another type of advertising.  Another way to bring in more customers to the dealership.  Most stores do have a seperate process for internet customers and especially in highly competitive markets work off a carmax type pricing structure.  There's little negotiation and the process is designed to be as hassle free as possible.  

Regards,

Dan Hoffenberg
Internet Sales Manager
Regal Nissan
Roswell GA
dan@regalauto.com  

WarrantiesForLess WarrantiesForLess
New User | Posts: 39 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/23/08
05:43 PM

Interesting,

I was an internet manager back when most dealers didn't have a clue about the internet.  Since I started out with AutoByTel, back in mid 90's, I had a good knowledge of industry, as well as the internet, and given this experience, I was knocking down more than the top floor salesperson, but that didn't last long, everyone was jealous, and as I was the new guy, you know the rest.  As another mentioned, very competitive industry, and when everyone coming in door was asking for me, owner thought he could replace me with a clerk at $20K a year once I got it up and running, so when they screwed me out of bonus money, that was it, I quit, started my own business and never looked back.  Most dealer principals are crooks always looking to screw their salespeople, especially the ones in six figures. lol

Good luck to all,  
www.Free-Extended-Warranties-Distributorship.com

hilljess2000 hilljess2000
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/15/08
09:26 AM

Not really a reply, really a question.  What do Internet Sales Managers get paid.  I am trying to get an idea as I was recently promoted to this position.  I woked as Internet Sales Manager at another dealership for 3 years and was paid as a salesperson.  Is this typical, or do internet sales managers usually get a guarantee?  

billphra billphra
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/09/08
11:46 AM

This is wholly inaccurate. I have worked at eight dealerships, covering New Orleans and DC, as an Internet Manager or eCommerce Director, and in no instance was I not, nor did I ever hear of any other "Internet Manager", being anywhere other than at the facility. These are inside sales or sales management offerings, strictly. They are not outside positions or call centers. In fact, that misunderstanding is a source of "skating" (salespeople on the floor stealing online prospects) or "shadow buying" (customers knowingly or unwittingly evading the Internet department) within the industry.

You do need to carefully examine the position, however. Internet Manager is more likely a direct sales job, enbosssed with a better title and perhaps more lattitude. A true manager position with no self-sales requirement is more often titled "Internet Director" or eCommerce Director, depending on whether fixed operations (service and parts) operations are responsibilites apply. Generally, Internet Directors supervise 3 to 6 Internet Managers, and are limited to sales of new and/or preowned vehicles only.  

billphra billphra
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/09/08
11:56 AM

This depends on the volume the department produces, obviously. But, there are two good rules of thumb which apply to nearly every market nationwide.

First, the average payplan should allow for an average gross pay of between $6000 and $8000 per month with very few months either below or above this range. Unfortunately a payplan paying significantly more, even with high sales volumes will subect the holder to becoming a victim of their own success. Just as a Congressman cannot be paid more than the President, so too, the Internet Manager or eCommerce Director rarely survives making more than a desk manager.

The second rule is cost per sale. Generally, the target payroll per car for Internet Sales management is in the $100.00 per car range. Much more, and the profitability issue becomes an issue. Much less and even at good volume, the first rule cannot be maintained.

So assuming the first rule, in terms of the second, a solid department should produce 60-80 cars per month to support and income of $6000-$8000 per month.

You will notice, however, that smaller departments, doing say, 30 or 409 units would have to pay about one and one half times per car to meet the same target income. This generally ok by the dealership if expectations are clearly set by all parties before hand.

I have over 7 years experience and have made numerous job moves, each requiring intricate negotiations on these matters, so these numbers jive. I have no trouble securing work at a guarnateed rate of between $6000 and $8000 to walk in the door. I have also been offered paycuts of up to 45% where I have increased sales by over 50% and have earned over $10,000 in the dead of winter.  

CTNissanGuy CTNissanGuy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/30/09
08:16 AM

Yes, generally speaking (we (internet sales managers) are located right on the dealers lot.  We are here to provide the online customer with superior service.  When the customer comes onto to the lot to test drive a vehicle they would deal directly with the the internet sales manager.  We handle all aspects of your transaction.  

Juan  

steve1968 steve1968
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/05/09
10:41 AM

Yes they are definitely on the lot in a sales role capacity I've also worked in quite a few dealerships in management. And I know that all of the Internet managers that I had working under me, still had to go to the desk and work just like all the other salesman. They did however have better schedules.Bottom-line they were still just salesman and at the end of the day, they even helped out on the floor when we needed it.  

aartig aartig
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 06/03/09
03:36 AM

The automotive digital marketing space is now being Giant of the auto industry and represents the best opportunity for dealers, who have the ability to make informed decisions, to promote their dealerships online.

Cheap Used Cars For Sale
http://www.trucks-cars.com/cars  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com