Xml
Item Posts   

2000 Dodge Dakota 42RE auto trans problems

| 
Dakota_Don68 Dakota_Don68
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/26/07
08:21 PM

first can i access the trans code by turning the IGN key of and on 3 times, and watch the OD for the code?

and here is my problem?

2000 dakota 2wd auto trans question?

sometimes when this truck shifts from 1st to second, it feels like its slow or slipping into the next gear.

But it doesnt do this all the time.

is this or does this trans have a computer that controls the up shift? or maybe a Gov presure solenoid? or a fluid temp switch or a speed sensor,and if one of these is defective would i come up as a code?

as of right now there are no check engine light on?

do you think the dealer would find the problem?  

Rooster368 Rooster368
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/27/07
06:45 AM

I am not sure about the 42re, but I had a similiar same problem on my 2000 Ram 1500 with a 46re.......both the 42re and 46re have electronic govenors.

I took mine to the dealer and a few tranny shops for a diagnosis, and all of them stated I needed a rebuild (~$1800-2500).  However, I did some research on my own and found some information that allowed me to fix it without a rebuild....the funny thing is when I went back to the same dealer to buy the parts I needed, they said that the gov pressure solenoid and sensor are the usual the culprits (~$120).......they didn't say that the first time I went in there!

Take a look at here...they should be applicable to your tranny (maybe except part numbers).

if that one doesn't work try this one

Good luck and keep us posted  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
12:47 PM

Yes the 2000 42RE trans does have a governor pressure solenoid.First year for the 4 prong rectalgle solenoid.There is a high probability that is your problem..  

jippadyak jippadyak
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 12/06
11:52 PM

actually the most common failures for these RE trans is the gov pressure transducer (the one reading the pressures of the gov solenoid) but you're at it,it's better to replace both. but before going to that route you'd better check the throttle valve adjustment (too tight will result in delay shift, too loose= early shifts)  

biffler biffler
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/11/07
07:02 AM

Hopefully this isn't off topic, but recently my 2000 dakota has had a problem only when it is warm.  When cold, it shifts no problem.  When it is warm, it needs to go upto 3000 rpm before it will shift from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd.  It happens about 80% of the time.  Dealer says needs rebuild.  Just curious if it could the solenoid or transducer.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/11/07
02:01 PM

You are do for a rebuild the seals in the clutch drum,servos and accumulator are hard , When the fluid is hot and thin you are looseing pressure through the clutch packs, band servo and accumulator.  

stdenis stdenis
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/09/11
12:23 PM

i have a 2000 dodge dakota 4x4 4.7l everthing works great but the tranny when u put it in drive it dont move till 3500-4000 rpns but still stuck in 2 or 3ed i did the sensor on the side full flush change both filters but still not working dose it in revers to plz help  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com