Xml
Item Posts   

1997 Buick LeSabre Serpentine Belt Replacement Help

| 
gocatsgo08 gocatsgo08
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/02/07
12:58 AM

I just had to replace the water pump and a pulley on my 1997 Buick LeSabre Custom with a 3800 V6 engine. I also have to replace the serpentine/drive belt, and it looks like I have to remove the engine mount, which is located right behind the battery compartment on the passenger's side.

Question 1: Do I also have to remove the engine mounting bracket that is attached to the engine? If so, does anyone have any tips or useful advice since this is very hard to reach and get a tool on.

Question 2: Someone also told me that I would have to remove the power steering pulley to get the belt to go on, is this correct? If so, how do I do that and what tools are needed?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/03/07
06:27 AM

Put a jack under the engine oil pan,towards the right side of the enging and add just enough pressure to release the weght of the motor from the mount, and remove the mount.That is the easiest way to change the belt.If you remove the P/S pulley you will need a P/S puller and installer.Just remove the mount, easier and no special tools needed.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/03/07
06:28 AM

Put a jack under the engine oil pan,towards the right side (passenger side) of the enging and add just enough pressure to release the weght of the motor from the mount, and remove the mount.That is the easiest way to change the belt.If you remove the P/S pulley you will need a P/S puller and installer.Just remove the mount, easier and no special tools needed.  

BubbaTX BubbaTX
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/11/10
08:49 AM

If you look at the engine mount the nut/stud located at the bottom, nearest the front of the car, goes thru a spacer (at least on the 98 Lesabre 3800 I just changed).  All you have to do is remove the nut (18mm), remove the stud (an 8mm 6pt wrench works if you dont have the proper female torx socket), then push the spacer out of the way.  The belt slip thru the gap. A lot of posts also mention removing the tire, but if you hold the socket wrench so that the handle points to the back of the car, you can do it without removing the tire, although I agree the access would be easier thru the wheel well.  15mm socket required for the auto tensioner.  Time = 30mins.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com