no 3rd gear in th 400

| 
65bigblock 65bigblock
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/20/07
01:36 PM

i have a th 400 that will not shift into 3rd gear. it shifts from 1st to 2nd
nice and quick but when its time to go into 3rd it will not. have checked the
vacuum line,vacuum modulator , and the governer, all seam to be ok.
i have tried 3 vacuum modulators with no help. trans sat for 3 or 4 months
while i changed engines but worked fine after i got it all hooked up for a while.
when i went out one day it would not shift into 3rd.any ideas on what the problem could be. also when i take the modulator out all the fluid comes out should it do that? thanks  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/20/07
03:29 PM

If you have a good strong reverse, I would suspect the 2-3 accumulator ,  2-3 shift valve in the valve body, and the 2-3 modulator valve stuck .Since it sat for a while i would drop the valve body and give it a once over, probly sticking or dirty valves.And yes fluid will flow if you pull the modulator, a complete fluid and filter change would be a good idea since it sat for 4 months.  

longwayhome longwayhome
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/08/07
06:28 AM

I have similar problem that just happened.  My trany started whining a little and drag out the shift to third.  now third is gone unless i totaly back off any pressure then it shifts but immediately upon torque it goes to 2nd gear.  reverse is fine and fluid is fine.  Rebuild?  I was considering stepping up to a different trany maybe this is my sign.  engine is a chevy 454 with about 520 HP.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/08/07
07:35 AM

The TH 400 will handle 520HP with a few mods.What type of trans are you thinking about stepping up to?  

longwayhome longwayhome
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/12/07
06:31 PM

I was debating going a totally different direction and getting a manual trans or going to a 4l80e (spendy though).  I found someone that can build a t200 that can withstand the HP, so i may go that way.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com