1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2002 audi a4 cvt acting funny

| 
lukep lukep
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/18/07
03:50 PM

Hello. I have a 2002 audi a4 1.8t FWD with cvt. My problem started without a cause just randomly. What happens is when the car is not used let say over night or for more then 2 hours the display on the dash does not show which position the trans is in. It only lights up the P park position and if i switch to reverse or neutrol or drive it does not show that. But it will drive forward. if i put it in reverse it does not work. Niether does the autostick. Now if i drive the car to optimal running tempeture and i turn it off for more then 5minutes then turn it back on everything is fine. It displays what position it is in, reverse works, and so does the autostick. If i dont turn off the car it takes anyware from 5 to 45min for it to start working fine or to display the transmition malfunction code(P R N D) Flashing on dash after temperture is reached. Once the trouble code flashes it wont stop even if i turn off the car and turn it back on. It Eventualy just turns of on its own. The car trans works fine mechanicaly. No funny noise, twitching, grinding, vibration, or trouble shifting in autostick(when not having trouble mentioned). I hooked up a obd2 scanner (the one on ebay for 45.99) and it does not display any codes. Can anyone please help. I dont want to go to a dealership and pay a fortune. Thanks  

hddguru hddguru
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/08/07
09:13 PM

Luke, I'm suffering the same problem on my 2003 A4 1.8 with CVT.  Sometimes PRND disappears, sometimes it flashes, after the transmission is warm it usually works better.  I found a third post on the same topic at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audi-Repair-1811/02-audi-a4-1.htm I haven't taken mine in for the same $$$ fear, but I might after reading this other post.  New transmission is $8-10K.  TCM is less than $1K, so I'm hoping the TCM fixes it.

BTW, you can sometimes get trouble codes out of it if you try to dump after the PRND is flashing.  You will probably see the following:

17090 – Transmission Range Sensor (F125): Implausible Signal
 P0706 – 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18032 – MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors tool)
 P1624 – 008 – Implausible Signal

If you get your TCM replaced, let me know if it fixes your problem.

Thanks, HDD  

lukep lukep
Posted: 07/16/07
03:04 PM

under $1000 for a tcm. ouch!! I think im still going to do some research before i get that changed and it doesnt fix the problem. If you get your car fixed please let me know. thanks  

booksontour booksontour
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/23/08
10:26 PM

Hi there, I have an Audi 2004 1.8T fwd with CVT. Recently I got the same problem as yours, and I got the quote from the dealer, it's about $2,500(parts & labor), can you tell me where to get the TCM under 1K? The shift indicator of mine was flashing sometimes, there're 2 ways to let it be back to normal. The first one is to park overnight, then to start the engine next morning and to move the shifter back and forth then it's back to normal, but the check engine light's still on. The second one is to drive it for a while, when meet the traffic light, put the shifter to "P", it's back to normal too. I found that if I kept driving it more than 20km, it won't be any problem, and probably the check engine light would be off after I started it the next time. The shift indicator's flashing on mine only happened, if I drove it a very short distance, especially if I drove it for a short distance and the final route was going uphill. Anyway nomatter it's flashing or not I didn't have any problem to drive it. By the way, have you already put the new TCM on yours, if yes does it really work? Please kindly reply me ASAP. Thank you very much.  

lukep lukep
Posted: 06/03/08
05:56 PM

YUP! Still driving with a broken TCM. I did realize about restarting the car in the morning or shifting to Park on red light. To reset check engince, get the car back to normal(no Flashing) and turn the car on and off completly 3x and the check engine goes away. Anyways, I tried asking the guy were he seen a TCM under $1k for CVT and no response. From what I researched it is a dealer thing only and thier is no outside shops that do this work. TCM cannot be serviced by TCM repair facilities. I tried so many sources and they all come back to the dealer. . . But, thier is some good news. AUDI is aware of this problem. If you call Audi headquarters of USA and complian and complain and complain they should pay for part or for 1/2 of total repair bill. If you resolve this whole thing let me know plz. Thanks  

booksontour booksontour
Posted: 06/12/08
08:00 PM

Yes, it's still drivable. And I found that there is a way to let it's never flashing again, and check engine light won't be on either. Although it doesn't really fix the problem, but it will be better.
1. To start the engine: To turn the key to ignition position, but don't start the engine, then take a look at the shift indicator on the dash board.
a. If it performs normally, that means you can see your shift position, then start the engine right away.
b. If it's fail to show the position, then move the shifter to "N" position, then start the engine.
2. To shut down the engine: To move the shifter to "R" first, then take a look at the shift indicator on the dash board.
a. If it performs normally, that means you can see it's at "R" clearly, then shift it to "P"
b. If not. To move the shifter to "N" position, shut down the engine first. After the engine's off, move the shifter back to "P", then turn the key down and take it out.
 The TCM will work properly when the transmission totally been cooled down, or totally been warmed up. And if it's fail, you might be able to backward, but you should be able to move forward. So if you do know that you'll go a long trip(more than 20 miles/30 km, then you don't need to worry about that it'll be fail when you get there, but you have to worry about that when you leave later, so always back into the parking spot, in that case you can go out anyway.
 Anyway now I always park my car back into the parking spot, and use the way I wrote above. Now it has already happened to me more than 3 month, I never got any problem to drive it. And I found that the TCM's not working properly only at certain temperature range, so I do believe that it's a bug from Audi, they just don't want to admit it, and don't want to pay money to do the recall. Maybe we should try to put everybody who has the same problem together, then to complain this issue to Audi, to see if Audi will do something on the part and labor.
 By the way someone sell the used Audi TCM on the web, so probably they don't need to really replace it. They might just reprogram it(debug), then it'll be back to normal. If this is true, I don't think that we have to pay the full price of the TCM. What do you think? Any further news, please let me know. Thank you very much.  

lukep lukep
Posted: 06/20/08
08:20 PM

Tried doing that thing with neutrol and its all the same. just starts blinking again. Are you also experiencing this problem, If you drive in fail mode and then turn the car off while in failmode, when started again and you put in drive or reverse the car does not move. I have to raise RPM to about 3,500 before it slowly starts moving and then it catches on and works fine. Its as if the first shift forward or reverse after starting car transmission is slipping into the gear. Another thing I found using VAG-COM is that when the car is on and in fail mode, if you reset the fail mode(make it stop blinking) you can hear something like a hydrolic shift sound for about 3 sec. Wierd Stuff. . . Anyways I went to audi dealer ship asking for some help and asked for the Audi Corporate Office number 18008222834. I caused a scene thier resulting in loss of 2 customers for them and people scratching thier heads trying to decide if they should buy an audi. It got so bad that they told me to calm down or i will be removed by the law. They do not want to help out at all. I am going to call audi corp. soon and talk to them about some kind of refund for repairs if i decide to do them. I think audi lost more money with those two potential buyer customers leaving the dealership after hearing my argument, then they would loose $ on me to fix my tcm. This is getting vary agrivating.

Another thing, going back to people selling tcm on the internet is true. They do sell TCM but they will never fit our audi a4 CVT. Those TCM are for Quattro and are located under the carpet passanger side. Our TCM is for a FWD CVT with FSI code. These are located in the back housing of the actual trans. Sucks, I know. Otherwise i would buy one and replace it myself  

booksontour booksontour
Posted: 06/21/08
11:47 PM

You might not follow all the procedure I mentioned, all of our families drives it as I said, we never got any problem to go forward or backward, even in the failmode( couldn't see the gear position). At least we always can see it clearly when go forward at failmode, never flashing and no check engine light on. But sometime we have a little problem when move backward, it goes slowly and not smoothly when it's in failmode, but still can move out from the parking spot. In that case as I mentioned, we always back into the parking spot, because we know that we won't have any problem to move fordward.

Believe me and try it one more time, you should be OK to drive it. The procedure I posted last time, it looks like a little bit complex, but you only need to operate 3 or 4 times, then you'll find it's so easy to do it. If you don't want to get into trouble and don't want to try the way I told you, then you'd better go replace the TCM, otherwise you might stuck somewhere someday. Good luck!!  

lukep lukep
Posted: 06/25/08
02:32 PM

It does work. Your method does work by putting the car in nutrol then starting then switching to gear. But, if the car is not in failmode and the display fails to show wich gear and at this time reverse doesnt work, and you put it in nuetrol then start car it just jumps to fail mode again. maybe imdoing it wrong.  

ngbl377 ngbl377
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/22/08
05:30 PM

I have a 2004 A4 Multitronic FWD with CVT. I encountered the similar problem like yours and I thought it was just some software glitches and I do not to be ripped off by the dealers. My wife use the car more often than me and she told me occasionally the PRDNS will just flashes and dissapear and the car just drive fine. After almost a month later, she called me and told me that she can not reverse the car at all. No other choice and called the tow truck to tow the car to one competence Audi workshop and found out the TCM is not communicating to the ECU and basically the entire TCM failed and the car is basically not road worthy anymore without a major fix on the TCM. My advise is do not try your luck. In fact I had tried all the receommendations and it seems to work for a short period of time but failed completely at the end.
I had tried changing the transmission oil
I had tried cleaning up  the connectors
I had tried downloading the software again

The whole problem lies with the TCM unit and I think it basically reached its useful lifespan of 4 years and it failed like a bathtub curve pattern. You will see more and more symptoms of failures later on until complete failure Crazy  

ngbl377 ngbl377
05:32 PM

I have a 2004 A4 Multitronic FWD with CVT. I encountered the similar problem like yours and I thought it was just some software glitches and I do not to be ripped off by the dealers. My wife use the car more often than me and she told me occasionally the PRDNS will just flashes and dissapear and the car just drive fine. After almost a month later, she called me and told me that she can not reverse the car at all. No other choice and called the tow truck to tow the car to one competence Audi workshop and found out the TCM is not communicating to the ECU and basically the entire TCM failed and the car is basically not road worthy anymore without a major fix on the TCM. My advise is do not try your luck. In fact I had tried all the receommendations and it seems to work for a short period of time but failed completely at the end.
I had tried changing the transmission oil
I had tried cleaning up  the connectors
I had tried downloading the software again
The whole problem lies with the TCM unit and I think it basically reached its useful lifespan of 4 years and it failed like a bathtub curve pattern. You will see more and more symptoms of failures later on until complete failure  

ngbl377 ngbl377
05:32 PM

I had tried changing the transmission oil, I had tried cleaning up  the connectors
I had tried downloading the software again. The whole problem lies with the TCM unit and I think it basically reached its useful lifespan of 4 years and it failed like a bathtub curve pattern. You will see more and more symptoms of failures later on until complete failure  

keldo keldo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/22/08
04:50 AM

Hi Gents,

I have exactly same problem as booksontour described. I spoke to my audi dealer and they qouted me $5000 to replace the TCM

Control Module Part Number: 01J 927 156 CR
 Component and/or Version: V30 01J 2.0l 5V RdW 2011
          Software Coding: 00001
           Work Shop Code: WSC 21000
1 Fault Found:
17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125): Implausible Signal
       P0706 - 35-00 - -

I don't want to spend that much on this car... is the TCM easy to pull out? I'm a electronic/computer engineer and I might be able to debug it..  

jasp jasp
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/16/09
07:47 PM

"is the TCM easy to pull out?"

No. The TCM in inside the gearbox housing. I understand that removal and refitting of the TCM is about a 3+ hour job, which involves draining and refilling the transmission fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole gearbox needs to be dropped out of the car.

Here's a picture where you can see where the TCM is.
AT990019  

lee4e4 lee4e4
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/12/09
09:20 AM

Exact same problem.. PRNDL flashing and reverse not working.  I got a quote to fix the TCM from dealer and it's around $2000...  It would be very helpful to know,  did the problem get worse without replacing it??  If not, I will not even bother to touch it..  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com