1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

BMW run flat tires

| 
Fezzir Fezzir
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/29/07
09:45 AM

how can I fix the run flat tire for 06 325i BMW, the dealer aske to replace it          thx  

odom1029 odom1029
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/06/07
04:38 PM

I have a 2006 BMW 325 and have had 2 tires replaced already.  As a matter of fact, during my first service, the "mechanic" suggested that I have all the tires replaced...which I ignored...that should have been my first clue that something was not right about this whole thing.  
When I first purchased the car, the only thing I was told about the run flat tires was that they would never go flat.  I didn't realize that the tire would need to be replaced every time a nail was in the tire or from hitting a small pothole (this caused a large hole in the tire...it didn't go flat, but wobbled, to the point that I had to have it towed).
I inquired about having all tires replaced with traditional tires and rims, and I was informed that BMW would not be able to perform this.  They did suggest "insurance" that cost $500-$700.....I can guarantee you my next car will not have these tires.  

neelykp neelykp
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/04/07
07:48 PM

Looking for help. I have just purchased a 06, 325i with run flats. I was a bit hesitant to buy the car because of the run flats. Now with 7,400 miles, I have a noise that sounds like a flat tire issue, however I don't know if this is the run flats. I can only assume it is the run flats, as when highway speed was reduced to 55 or less the noise went away. Can anyone describe what a flat sounds like in a run flat?  Also, no warning lights or audio waRNING HAVE SOUNDED YET.  

mgmoo7 mgmoo7
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/16/07
09:33 AM

Looking for help as well. I have a 03 Z4 with the run flats. I baught the car in 06 and have driven it about 3,500 a year. I was driving down a highway yesterday, about 55-65 MPH, and the Tire Failure Light came on. I arrived at my destination to find a gaping hole in the sidewall. It looks like the run flat burst on the side. Car was towed and now I am waiting for the dealer to call. Anyone know if this is normal or how to have this covered under my CPO warranty. Thanks.  

RichT RichT
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/06/07
11:43 AM

Wow it sounds like I tuned in just in time.  I intend picking up my 2008 328xi with sport package and run flat tires.  Dealer says I can swap them out at the time of delivery.  Is the problem that everyone is talking about just due to the run flats?  

Rich500 Rich500
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/07/07
11:06 AM

I'm close to ordering an '08 328i with sport package. I've read the horror stories all over the internet, but it seems like the problems are mostly with the earlier versions of the Bridgestones. Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with the newer tires?
BTW, I asked the dealer if they'd switch RFTs to conventional ones upon delivery and was told they wouldn't unless I wanted to pay for them. Does anyone have experience with a more accommodating dealership in the New York area? Thanks.  

RichT RichT
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/07/07
01:43 PM

I am about ready to pick up my 328xi with RFTs and I have read about the problems.  I have found that the issues seem to be with '06 models and Bridgestone. I am expecting either Perellis or Continentals. I plan on investigating further.  Regarding swapping out tires:  My dealer said he would for a cost of about $200.  I contacted Belle Tire and they too said they'd charge $200.  If your dealer won't call a tire place and ask them.  Usually if you drive less than x miles, they will swap.  Good luck and let me know if you find out anything more about the RFTs.  

cbw51 cbw51
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 10/08/07
04:29 PM

I have an '07 328xi Coupe with Conti RFT's and I haven't had a problem yet. The problems have been with the Bridgestone RFT's for many people. Do the '08's have space for a spare tire? My '07 doesn't even have a place in below the trunk floor for a space even if I wanted to go to conventional tires.  Mad  

Rich500 Rich500
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/10/07
03:27 AM

How many miles do you have on the Contis? Are they noisy?
No, there is no space for a spare, so I'll probably go with some sort of tire fix-it kit when I switch.  

audienthusiast5985 audienthusiast5985
New User | Posts: 49 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/11/07
12:16 PM

I didn't know BMW had such problems with the tires.  Hope they're limited to just Bridgestones.  Does anyone know if the Pirelli's any better?  

anndan anndan
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/02/07
07:46 AM

I have a 2006 bmw 330xi with run flat tires.  In less than 4 months one tire was worn down to the belt all the way around the inside and another was almost as bad.  The dealer never noted a problem although I had taken it for service.  My brother found the problem when I told him about the funny noise that BMW said was normal!  I drive higways most of the time and as far as I am concerned these tires make the BMW THE ULTIMATE DEATH MACHINE.
In addition, they make noise and you feel every bump in the road.  

BMW530BK BMW530BK
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/22/07
10:58 AM

I OWN A 2004  530i  WITH SPORTS PACKAGE & PREMIUM PACKAGE

When I first saw the car at the dealership I thought it looked amazing and I had to buy it. Got a great deal from the dealership and everything went perfect. I remember the finance advisor pushing me for the tire care option which was only $ 10 extra a month. I thought , like the maintenance option, that this was just another salesman tactic that I would never use (like useless warranties) but I decided what the heck  $ 10.00 is nothing , and flat tires can happen.

YES they happen!!
apparantley every week.

The first time I got the dreaded FLAT TIRE message I hit a pothole. Granted it was a bad pothole but with any other care it probably would have made a loud noise, and i would have been on my way.

My cars tire was immediately shreaded and i had to pull over, wait for a tow truck and took it to BMW service center, thank God it was early in the day. This was less than a month after buying the car. When I got to the station center they said they definitely had the tire in stock and I was VERY LUCKY I got the tire care option because all costs would be covered by BMW.
Well most of them.
Of course they didnt have the tire in stock and I had to keep my car there for a few days ( I KID YOU NOT, I HAD THE CAR LESS THAN ONE MONTH ).
At first I thought maybe I had made a mistake with big rims. Although flashy and beautiful, 18" Rims are quite big, they tend to be equipped with smaller tires and are more seusceptible to road side damage.

In any case BMW Finally calls me and says they fixed the tire. They took care of me very well to be honest with you, but I was atill in shock because I thought to myself I drive everyday for long periods of time. Living in New York you know that the streets are horrible and filled with cracks and potholes.

Of course the bad news--- BMW said that because of the pothole they covered all costs for the tire repair but my alignment was thrown off a bit and had to get a new alignment. (LESS THAN A MONTH I HAD THE CAR)
Alignments??? Not covered by BMW even with Warranty and Full Maintenance options.

SO i sucked it up payed the 200 something bucks and got my car back ready to go.

Driving on the road again this time i was much more careful. I realized I could enjoy my car but i just had to be careful.
A few weeks later in SOHO a strange noises comes from my tires and to make a long story short, the TIRE FLAT sign came on.

Brought it to the center, they said I had two flats. Fixed those, cost BMW about 800 bucks. I told my service advisor this was ridiculous. I had never got two flats so quickly and so soon after and i drive all day long in New  York. They said a nail in one , and a leak in the other. I was angry and demanded a full detail for the inconvenience. So they gave my car a beautiful detail and I drove off.

Sure enough less than 2 weeks later, i see the FLAT TIRE SIGN.
Its now a joke between my girlfriend and I on how soon the sign will come up.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MAY BE THINKING, THE DEALER MAY HAVE FORGOT TO SIMPLY INITIALIZE THE NEW TIRE PRESSURE ACTIVE TO THE CURRENT PRESSURE SETTINGS. I'VE TRIED THIS, IT DOESN'T WORK.

LISTEN TO ME, EVERY ONE THINKING OF BUYING A BMW WITH SPORTS PACKAGE, RUN FLAT TIRES AND 18" RIMS OR BIGGER
I DONT CARE WHAT SERIES

LISTEN TO ME:

RUN FLATS ARE HORRIBLE
YOU WILL SPEND THE ENTIRE DRIVING EXPERIENCE WATCHING THE GROUND INSTEAD OF THE ROAD. IT WILL COMPLETELY TAKE AWAY FROM THE "ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE"

BMW IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR AND DRIVES LIKE A GORGEOUS DREAM BUT BELIEVE ME ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT. RUN FLAT TIRES, A NEW TECHNOLOGY THAT I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT UNTIL I BOUGHT MY BMW, ARE HORRIBLE. I HAVE NEVER NEVER NEVER HAD TO CHANGE TIRES THIS OFTEN THIS SOON THIS QUICKLY IN ANYYYYYYYYY CAR I HAVE EVER HAD AND IVE BEEN THROUGH THEM ALL.

THIS IS DEFINITELY AN EVOLVING ISSUE THAT MORE PEOPLE SHOULD POST ABOUT AND TALK ABOUT BECAUASE THIS IS A SEVERE ISSUE. I TOLD MY ADVISOR THAT I COULDNT DEAL WITH THIS ANOTHER TIME. SURE ENOUGH MY CAR IS TELLING ME I HAVE A FLAT TIRE.

ACCORDING TO THE PRESSURE GAUGE I DON;T

IS IT THE RUN FLATS, ARE MY RIMS TOO BIG, IS THIS A SENSOR ISSUE? , SHOULD I GET ORDINARY TIRES INSTEAD OF RUN FLATS??? WHO KNOWS

SINCE THE FLAT TIRE SIGN I HAVE ADJUSTED MY PRESSURE AND INITIALIZED THE NEW PRESSURE SETTINGS. IF I SEE THE DREADED SIGN AGAIN I WILL BE TAKING MY CAR TO THE DEALER FOR THE LAST TIME UNTIL THEY DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. NO MORE KEEPING MY CARE THERE FOR 3-4 DAYS, HAVING THE INPSECTOR COME AND CHECK THE TIRES BECAUSE THE FLATS HAPPENED " TOO SOON " AFTER PURCHASE AND NO MORE DRIVING SO AFRAID OF THE GROUND THAT I ALMOST HAVE A HEART ATTACK

THE INTERESTING ROADS ARE NEW ROADS THAT YOU NORMALLY DON'T DRIVE ON.
SEE A POT HOLE LAST MINUTE, SWERVE YOUR CAR SO FAST AS TO AVOID THE POTHOLES AND WHAT HAPPENS??

NEAR ACCIDENTS, ALL DRINKS IN CUPHOLDERS FLY OUT, PASSENGERS LOOK AT YOU LIKE??? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?? CAN'T YOUR BMW!!!! RIDE OVER A LITTLE POT HOLE?

BEWARE THE SPORTS PACKAGE RUN FLAT TIRE OWNING BMW DRIVERS
THIS IS THE BEGNNING OF A SERIOUS CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT  

George3 George3
Posted: 11/28/07
08:53 PM

if you replace the  run flat tires of your  car then you have to make changes on the  suspention,because the  suspension of the car is designed to run on run flat tires!  

George3 George3
Posted: 11/28/07
09:01 PM

if  you replace the  RFT on the sport package 3 series your car is not going to have  same  performance because the suspention is design to run on the RFT , if you change  them you going  to have poor performance, unless you change the settings on the  suspention  

rschicago rschicago
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/07
10:15 PM

I have a 2006 325i BMW and my car started giving loud noise while driving on the highway and at that time the milage was 25k and the service coordinator handed a bill for $1250 for replacing all the 4 tires. I did take it seriously and drove the car for another couple of hundred miles and realised that the sound is getting worst.

I am paying $909 at discount tires and replacing finally to have a peace of mind.

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW SERVICE AND LACK OF GUIDANCE ON RFT.
WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER BMW FOR SURE, I GUESS THERE IS SOME FLAW IN THE SUSPENSION SINCE ITS  A NEW LAUNCH

"PLEASE COUNT ME IN FOR THE CLASS ACTION "

RS  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com