Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 nissan maxima problems

| 
2000SE 2000SE
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/15/07
09:14 AM

My question is the same as above. When you look under the hood the MAFS is right there on top and easy to see, its directly behind the box where your air filter is. Theres a relay thats plugged into it on top and 2 star head bolts that hold it in place is it really neccessary to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogramed? I have little trust in the Nissan dealers because the 1st trip to them with this problem it wasn't even mentioned to me, my brother who lives 800 miles away with the same car told me about this and that the MAFS may be the problem, this of course after Nissan replaces my fuel-pump, and spark plugs and still couldn't figure out the problem.  

Tortuga Tortuga
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/16/07
06:35 PM

I own a 2000 Infiniti which is obviously made by Nissan.  I have had similar problems to the ones I noted in this Thread.  The engine apparently has 4 oxygen sensors, two in the front of the engine and two in the rear.  At around 60,000 miles or so both of the rear oxygen sensors in the car supposedly went bad. I took the car back to Infiniti to have the sensors replaced since, at that time in 2004, my mechanic did not have the "softwoare" to reset the ECM.  Cost was over $700.  Recently, at around 96,000 miles, the car started to idle roughly at a stop while it was in gear and was stalling.  The check engine light came on and I went to my mechanic.  The diagnostic indicated one of the front sensors was bad and they replaced it and reset the ECM.  Two weeks later the car started to idle roughly again and was stalling.  I took it back and they cleaned underneath my throttle body plate.  It still runs rough and does seem to hit a wall around 3500 rpms but it is not stalling for now.  

Tortuga Tortuga
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/22/07
12:10 PM

One more additional issue to add - at around 97,500 miles now and the check engine light just came back on again.  Not sure if I am going to do anything at this point but it is frustrating and disappointing. My brother has a 2000 Maxima and is having similar issues.  

jackball60 jackball60
Posted: 09/22/07
05:29 PM

I have a 2001Maxima SE 20th Anniversary with the same issues.  I geuss that I will replace the MAFS and reprogram to see if that fixes it.  I am at the end of my rope and I have tried numerous things in effort to find the problem including changing the bank 1 sensor number 2 and then having the code come right back 1 day later.  I will keep you up to date as to if this fixes my problem or not.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.  

supreem supreem
Posted: 09/27/07
10:46 AM

I have a 2000 Maxima that i purchased used in 2005. Over the summer i pushed it up to about 110k miles which is about 30k since we purchased it. When i first had the car i was experiencing some of the same issues posted but after a few visits tot he mechanic it started running well for about a year and a half. Just lately, my car started jumping into gear catching and throwing the car forward. I was not in town and could not take it to my mechanic until the weekend so i continued to drive it to work being as tender with it as i could be. a few days after this started, my car lost the ability to drive in reverse but would still drive which i thought was odd. This past weekend I was finally able to get it into a shop and today the mechanics called saying the the transmission had actually fused together something he had never seen before. Then he went on to tell me that the problem was very common in maxima's and because of such there went any parts left and they couldn't order any and they were just going to give me a new one. I tried looking for anything about this online but couldn't find a thread making me kind of wonder about this. Granted we trust our mechanic and have gone to him for many years but i still wonder about this problem... has anyone heard of something like this?  

tinamari2483 tinamari2483
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/21/07
06:45 PM

I also have a 2000 Nissan Maxima (120,000 mi.) in which I just purchased in July 2007 at a used car dealer. Big Mistake! Beautiful car, but within two months of purchase the car's crankshaft sensor and mass air flow sensor failed along with the starter. I immediately called the dealership and they helped with part of the expenses, but what I learned about this particular year of this car is that when it hits about 100,000 miles these sensor problems begin to exist. And just a couple of days ago my "check engine soon" light came on. I'm glad I'm not alone with these problems, but how do we resolve them. I need help!  

Latinachic Latinachic
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/03/07
11:54 AM

Confused  I can't believe that so many of us have the same problem with 2000 Nisssan Maxima.  I bought it used last year in November.  The problem is that when I come to a red light/stop sign or just sit idle, the car turns off.  So I had it checked out and was told that I had to take it to a Nissan dealership because of some codes (?)...Anyway needless to say that I am expecting this repair to be expensive..but I was told that the Nissan maxima's had a recall for the crank sensor.  Does anyone know about this? Now if there ever was a recall would it only apply to the original owners?  

milkdud milkdud
Posted: 11/11/07
03:47 PM

My Maxima started pinging at 78000 miles 3 years ago. It got so bad at 120000 and after having coils changed. I took a chance that the MAF was the problem. IT WAS THE PROBLEM!!!!! I bought the part at a dealer for $130 which was cheaper than autozone and put it in myself. The power came back and the pinging stopped. At times I was told fuel pump, O2 sensor, bad gas, tranny problems and possibly the maf. Do it yourself it is easy.  

Lupita12 Lupita12
Posted: 11/20/07
10:52 AM

I also own a 2000 Nissan Maxima,and I am experiencing the same problems as well! Soon after I bought the car, the 'check engine' light came on, so I made an appointment at the dealers..... well, they told me that they had pulled up 10 codes!! They said it was too much for them to diagnose and fix at one time, so they wiped out the memory from the computer and told me to return as soon as the light came on again. That's rediculous, that would cost me another $80-$100 for another diagnostic! Basically what they are telling me is that they have to fix all these problems 1 by 1... What sucks about all this is that this is a financed car, and I still owe alot of *** I think I'm going to look into possibly trading my car for another one, (even if it's a much cheaper and/or older car.)  

April_20 April_20
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/07
09:26 AM

I'm glad I found this forum, guys!
I have 2000 Maxima as well, bought it new and always took care of it. I loved my car and didn't have problems with it untill recently at around 110K miles. I'm doing a lot of highway driving every day to my work. The car at a speed >80 if I drive for some time all of a sudden would jump at lower gear(the same as if I turn the overdrive off). Eventually after I slow down it would engage the correct gear again.
I decided that something is wrong with transmission or electronics that control it and stopped cruising at 80 and higher and now mostly driving at 65-70 mph.
A few months ago I had my oil, filter and air filter changed at Jiffy Lube. In 2 days my engine light came on. My mechanic checked the code and it indicated the problem with rear cat. converter. He replaced it, but in a month the light came on again. At that time it showed the problem with ignition. He replaced the spark plugs, but on the next day it came on again with the same code. I also noticed that engine started slight misfiring. After he replaced 2 coils with used ones which were presumably in working order I got massive misfire and the same computer code. I took the car to the Nissan dealership for diagnostic and they told me that all coils need to be replaced and gave me an estimate of >$2000! Too much for me. I brought the car back to my mechanic. He replaced 4 coils with new ones and the engine is working fine since then, but I've noticed higher gas consumptiont. In 3 days the light would come on again. Then he replaced 2 remaining coils and one oxygen sensor. Light came on again. Yesterday I brought the car to Nissan and told them that I have now new cat. converter, all new coils, plugs and one ox. sensor. They called me today and said that  the code indicates the problem with front cat. coverters, but they are damaged because the mass air flow sensor produced very rich mixture. So I have to replace converters and MAF. I've got enough of it and googled nissan maxima 2000 and found that forum and this particular thread. Now I'm almost 99% sure the problem is with this MAF. I wish I know that earlier, that would have saved me tons of money!
I just called them (dealership) back and told them to replace only MAF and leave coneverters alone. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will post again, if that solves the problem.  

April_20 April_20
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 12/12/07
09:50 AM

Replacing MAF, air filter and reprograming the computer indeed fixed the problem. The car drives fine, no more engine lights and the gas milage is back to normal.  

trev88 trev88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 02/10/08
02:40 AM

Weel how much did this cost you because im really pissed off and i need my car fixed asap...... Thank you very much  

jwb jwb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/15/08
10:29 PM

looks like the Y2K bug hit Nissan a few years after the fact - my car is a 2000 Infiniti I30 w/ 110k on the odometer.  the brick wall (as many on this post have referred to it) occurs at 4k rpm. both the mechanic and I are stumped - MAF checks out and there are no codes. I'm beginning to think it really is a software glitch. Why the need for an software update to replace the MAF?

As for the stalling at idle (and low speed) many have mentioned - I had that one as well - turned out to be the idle control valve (some call it the air control valve) replaced it and all is well except for the aforementioned loss of acceleration when you step on the gas. Total cost for parts and labor to replace the valve should not exceed $400 USD.  

golden golden
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/07/08
03:26 PM

My Nissan Maxima SE, 2000 with 124,000 miles has also been having the same issues. Luckily I found this information. The diagnostic scan showed P0731 A/T first gear ratio problem and P0160 no activity bank 2(oxygen sensors). A mechanic told me it may be a transmission problem, but the trans. checked out fine and they directed me to a mechanic saying it was the engine. I got my catalytic converter replaced...did not do a thing. I broke down and brought it to a Nissan dealer, telling them I thought it was the MAFS. They did not think so, since I was able to travel at high speeds. They plugged in a new MAFS and it significantly helped the problem. It cost $670 total "ouch", but could have been more had I not been so informed. My car runs much, much better! Laugh  

FATMAN1 FATMAN1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/11/08
06:42 PM

we just bought a 2000 maxima se.we are having the stall in park,and in drive at long redlights. we bought as is where is. we paid for a carfax
which indicated a one owner car,139000 miles, reasonably well cared for, and it qualified for the carfax buyback. we purchased the car well below kbb value and were really pleased. four days into ownership, it started dying in park and anytime we are stopped for longer than 45-60 seconds.we were very annoyed.the used car dealer is a friend and swore it did not do on he or his crew, in that they only had the car a few days. we then called
the previous owner she stated the same. soooo, of to the dealership we go.
they say the electric motor mounts shorted and fried the ecm and possibly the idle air control valve. has anyone had this problem, or heard of this problem?  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Nissan Maxima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com