1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 nissan maxima problems

| 
shamrockplaya03 shamrockplaya03
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/05/07
05:09 AM

i have a 2000 nissan maxmia, and its been giving me a lot of problems lately, i hooked it up to the computer and its telling me its running too lean, along with that it says the crank shaft sensor isnt working so i brought it back to nissan and they told me theres nothing wrong with it, and as of late i hit about 3500 rpms and u feel like u hit a brick wall, it wont rev past that.  WHen the car hasnt been driven (overnight, or a couple huors) even if the engine is still warm i try to go and no matter how much gas i give it, it looses all power, when i am going to a light the car will sometimes stall out or rev repeatedly low enough to lose almost all power in it.  I dont really know what to do, possibly replace the Mass air flow sensor, but it doesnt read anything wrong and when looked at didnt seem to have anything wrong, i had all 6 inginition coils replaced as well, any ideas of what could be going wrong?  

trev88 trev88
Posted: 05/07/07
03:04 PM

Listen I have the same year car it does the same friggin thing(but it has 190,000 miles on it). It was dying at stop lights and every time i came to stop signs. I have had this fixed and then it was running bad when i recieved it back but i played with the idle and foot pedal to get the respected throttle response and idle correct. Although this was fixed it would always fall on its face right when i hit exactly 3500 rpms. This is making me so mad and i want to find out the problem also.So if anyone can give me some advice it would sure help.  

shamrockplaya03 shamrockplaya03
Posted: 05/16/07
05:28 AM

ok bro, so i got in touch with a nissan tech from california, he told me the problems are more along the lines of the fuel pump, fuel filter or mass air flow sensor, the fuel pump not pushing out enough gas will make the car run too lean, and if the filter is dirty or clogged it wont allow you get pass your fuel through it, and if that doesnt work there has been rumors of the mass air flow sensor being the real cause for concern but the price to fix it without knowing is a major problem...  

Patsy Patsy
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/04/07
06:08 PM

Saw the same problem at the garage last week person took it to Nissan and they replaced the Mass Air Sensor  

Patsy Patsy
Posted: 07/05/07
12:18 PM

Was told by someone that it has to be done at a Nissan dealer because he has to download something into the computer and you can't just stick a new one in there......  

ginniptree ginniptree
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/13/07
06:24 AM

Hey,

I dont know what is going on,but I have an Altima 2003 3.5 and I am having the same issue.  I did not take mine to any dealer becasue my confidence in them is close to a back yard mechanic.  I replaced my Transmission speed sensor myself and i am still having the same issue.  I just bought a break switch but have not replaced it as yet.  My problems are intermitting.  Whenever after this happens and I put my car on cruise control, the cruise does not work,  the set light keeps blinking on and off and it would not hold.  

I want to think that it is some other thing that is wrong.  I am not getting the 0720 code anymore but I am still getting the P1574 code and the rpms rev up high and the speed ometer indicator does not move.  

When I stop and turn off the engine and sit for a minuite and turn it back on it will be fine again until this bull crap happens again.  

I am about to write nissan on this topic.

I am hoping someone from nissan reads this and respond correctly.  It is not the transmission becasue mine still shifts the way it should.  Or so I think.  

ginniptree ginniptree
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/13/07
07:13 AM

This is for PATSY.  When you say download something to the computer, do u mean update the ECM via an upgrade or Remove the existing codes and clear the EPROM with the OBDII tool?  

Patsy Patsy
Posted: 07/17/07
05:31 PM

To the ecm  

faisalx faisalx
Posted: 07/23/07
07:34 AM

I also have a 2000 Nissan Maxima that's giving me some problems. I've had the car for nearly 3 years and have put nothing but Premium unleaded in the car except for 1 tank(my brother borrowed the car). The car constantly pings. Steep grades and moderate to hard acceleration are the worst. I do have a check engine light on. The codes report 2 bad oxygen sensors. I spoke with a couple of people who suggest a bad MAF sensor as opposed to 2 bad O2 sensors. In addition, I also experience loss of power when I start the car 1st thing in the day, but not at 3500 RPM, it's immediate. As if it's getting no gas, but doesn't die. I have noticed that when I start the car and place it in drive, there's a slight sound, kind of like a hissing sound of air escaping ater just a few seconds of rolling the car in gear on idle. For some reason, if I try to accelerate AFTER I hear that sound, the car doesn't try to die when stepping on the gas. Wierd, I know. I know it's not a solution to the problem that started this thread initially, but I hope somehow it helps and hopefully someone is familiar with this problem and I can maintain my sanity if they can provide a fix. I'm leaning towards a MAF sensor and will try and go from there. Thoughts?  

faisalx faisalx
Posted: 07/23/07
09:37 AM

Forgot to mention. The pinging only starts once the car is warmed up. Runs fine when the engine is cool/cold. I just ordered a MAF Sensor and will keep my fingers crossed and hope that solves my problem.  

faisalx faisalx
Posted: 07/25/07
11:09 AM

I just recd my MAF sensor. In the instructions it came with it also says to take it to the dealer to get the ECM updated after replacing it. $78 to reprogram the ECM at my local Nissan dealer.  

nismohater nismohater
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/04/07
09:03 PM

There is a new forum for issues relating to recalls/bulletins or other problems on any Nissan. It has contact information as well as other victims stories.  Stop by and check it out and post up if you have had a problem!!

Thanks

http://www.thenissanfight.com  

maximaholic maximaholic
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/05/07
12:50 PM

Hi my name is matt and I am the owner of a 2000 nissan maxima SE and my car had the exact same problem. The car would rev to about 3500 rpms and then would just die out. I replaced my Mass Air Flow Sensor and the car feels completely restored of its power. The stock Mass Air Flow sensor on the 2000 Nissan Maxima is very prone to failure if in undesirable conditions. The MAF can be triggered by anything from tiny dust particles, hair folecules and moisture. One major cause can be cleanable performance filters such as K&N and GREEN. The oil used on these filter can very easily ruin the MAF.

Note: The MAF on this vehicle cannot be cleaned using MAF cleaner. Using this can result in the failure of the MAF

MAF cost:  $400.00
Labor:     $65.00/hr
ET:        2 Hours  

2000maxima 2000maxima
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/28/07
03:18 PM

I also own a 2000 Maxima SE with 127,000 miles on it.  About two weeks ago I start having the same problems as the rest of you.  Car ran horrible after first being started, rough around town, and no power after hitting 3500 rpm on the highway.  My other symptom was at highway speeds if the car shifted down, like when trying to pass someone, it would go to 3500/3700 rpm and feel like an anchor had been dropped out the back.  If I kept the accelerator to the floor the engine would jump to 5500 rpm and just hang there not gaining any speed nor shifting. It would not would it shift up unless you got completely off the gas, the transmission was not working at all like it should.

Needless to say I had the engine trouble light come on, checked and cleared it after seeing it was saying bank 2 running lean.  A couple of days later the light was back, checked and said that bank 1 was running lean.  Now I was worried that I had two bad problems the engine and transmisson.  

I went to the net looking for answers and found this forum and read what was here and a couple other places.  I was running a KN filter and had been since the car was almost new.  I thought that the statement about this ruining the MAFS was a crock but I started thinking that maybe the oil that the filter is treated with after cleaning it could have an effect over time on the sensor.  However it does seem that there are a number of people who are experiencing the same problems that aren't running the KN/s so who the *** knows.  I guess as the famous Myth Busters would say, plausible.

I took my car into my local Nissan dealer and told them to see what they could figure out.  They came up with the MAFS was bad and that my KN filter had more than likely killed it.  They told me they would replace the sensor, reprogram the computer to match said sensor but would not warranty it if I kept the KN in place.  I told them to replace it and put a new paper Nissan filter in it's place.  I am happy to report that the car is now running as good as it ever has and my transmission problems are gone too. Cost just under 400 bucks to do the job.

I guess the real question is did I really need a new MAF sensor or is there some weird computer glitch that Nissan won't own up to causing these problems.  Telling their service departments to replace the MAFS and "reprogram" the computer.  The whole KN thing really doesn't wash for me.  I really don't trust Nissan after the front disk brake problems I first encountered with the car and the fight I had with them over that issue.  

2000maxgle 2000maxgle
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/15/07
08:26 AM

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE with the same problems as here in the thread -- rough running with no power when first turned on and acts like it hit a brick wall at about 3500 to 4000 rpm.  I've experienced the rough shift/no shift problem when putting the throttle to the floor, too.  So far, I've replaced the plugs and cleaned the fuel system.  That bought me a little power back.  Replacing the engine coils pretty well took care of the rough running/power loss when first started.  From what I've read the original coils are a known failure issue.  But I'm still hitting a wall at 3500 rpms.  Looks like the MAF -- apparently another known bugaboo with this car -- may be the culprit, though I've read about some issues with the VIAS failing, too.

My question is, if I replace the MAF sensor, do I have to go have the computer reprogrammed?  Also, is the MAF difficult to replace on your own?  Thanks for any feedback.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Nissan Maxima
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com