1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Audi gas tank leak

| 
Kathleen Frank Kathleen Frank
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/18/07
08:46 PM

Our  1999 A6 Audi is leaking gas like crazy.  Anyone else having the same problem?  Expensive to replace and we can't drive the car until the tank is replaced.  

GilbertDave GilbertDave
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/26/07
10:00 PM

Cracked Plastic Tanks-No moving parts-Another Audi first.

I started having the same problem with a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro.  Leaks like crazy when full. Smells and dangerous!  

Mech checked out.  Crack in Plastic!!!!!!   $600 labor and $1300tank.  

There are recycled tanks available.  Mech does not like to install used parts, but no choice Frown  

bucket_o_bolts bucket_o_bolts
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/26/07
08:59 PM

2003 A6 2.7T - Same issue, some plastic part at top of the tank.  Experienced gas dripping with tank over 3/4 full.  Happened all of the sudden.  Garage in house reeked of gas one evening, lucky it didn't blow the whole house up.  Lucky for me, covered under certified pre-owned warranty (car at 47K now).  Really, who makes a friggin gas tank out of plastic?  

mightysphinx mightysphinx
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/22/07
02:14 PM

2003 A6 2.7T _ Same problem again. I am out of warranty. Dealer quoted $2700 to repair. Leaking all over the garage and fumes into the house. Does Audi know about this, it's happening to a lot of people and its dangerous and very expensive. This is my 3rd Audi, but it think now it will be the last one.  

MistyStarbucks MistyStarbucks
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/23/07
11:00 AM

My '02 has started to leak, too. Where can I find a used tank? I don't want to fork over $2600 before Christmas.  

GilbertDave GilbertDave
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 05/19/08
12:38 PM

I fixed my problem by having my tank removed.  Good news-My tank was fine, however there was a rubber hose leaking at the right front top side of the tank.  It was near the top so only a problem when full..however lots of fumes and fuel loss.  The tank has several hose connections - not sure why.  Appear to be collecting fumes on to a larger hose and then sent to the engine.    My mechanic was convinced there was a crack in the tank.  Well anyways....I bought a used tank (new was $1,400) to be ready just in case.   I am now selling it on ebay and it is available for a reasonable price of $100 + $75 for shipping/packaging(weighs 50lbs).  I paid 4 times this from a recycled parts dealer. Let me know if your interested. dlsimmons01@msn.com Thx  Dave   Wink  

rosyou1 rosyou1
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/11/08
11:16 AM

Also with my 1996.  Has there ever been a recall?  How has anyone ever resolved with Dealer.  I hate to only drive with 1/4 tank of gas.  Way too dangerous.  Any class action taken I can join with?  Rose Frown  

Athlon64 Athlon64
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/30/08
03:40 PM

I am not aware of any class action proceedings but my 1996 A6 Quattro has developed a leak at the seam of the tank. These older fuel tanks are steel. Used ones are available but the labour to take out most of the rear differential and suspension to get it out is rated at about 8 hours. Kind of like more than the car is worth.
Dangerous.  

marktexas marktexas
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/03/08
10:38 AM

2002 A6 has that cracked fuel tank and leaks gas. Is anyone else having this problem? Dealer wants to replace the tank for $2,300  

marktexas marktexas
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/03/08
10:39 AM

Same problem on my A6 and is expensive to fix  

orta02 orta02
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/28/08
11:52 AM

I have a pre-owned certified 2005 A6. About two weeks ago I had the car serviced and Audi replaced the sensors on the fuel tank. The day I picked up the car I could not help to notice the overwhelmingly strong smell of gasoline in the cabin. I immediately called the Audi service department and complained about the smell. The lady who answered the phone simply said that the gas tank was serviced and because the tank is located under the back seat - the smell was a result of the work they did on the car and that the smell would go away in a day or two. After speaking with Audi service I pulled over and checked for leaks. I saw nothing!! but the smell was still very strong even outside the car. Because I didn't see any obvious leaks at the time, I decided to drive home and give it a day or two and see if the smell would go away. After a few days the car wasn't moved and I would check it from time to time but never drove the car for two weeks. Instead I used the family car. Two weeks after the service was done, I filled the car up with fuel (approx 21 gallons) and I immediately smelled the gas inside the cabin once again so I stepped out of the vehicle and sure enough - Gas was pouring from under the car.
I immediately called Audi road side assistance and they were useless - I had them call the fire department and police. I had to get an ok from the fire department to tow the car away. The Audi road side assistance person requested that I tow the car to my house......lol I told her there was no way I was towing the car back to my house. After a few minutes on the phone she said that I would be better off towing the car at my expense and have Audi re-emberse me the money so that's what I ended up doing.
I have always loved the quality of Audi cars but the service has me questioning their reliability and confidence in the work they do. I was given a car that was obviously dangerous to me and my family and those around the vehicle. This was negligence in Audi's part and I am very unhappy with the situation. They released a car that put many people in danger and I don't feel comfortable dealing with them anymore. I have a meeting on Monday with the General Sales Manager to discuss this issue. I will leave an update after I meet with him.  

bklynbob bklynbob
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/16/09
09:07 AM

My 2003 A6 has started leaking three months after the recall glue fix of the fuel rollover (nipple) valve was performed.  My dealer tells me it's now my problem at a approximate cost of $2600 for a tank replacement.  Don't we all wish we knew how Audi treats their customers after the warranty expires.  I have referred this issue to Audi USA Southern region, but frankly based on my recent conversation with the most Audi representative I do not expect an amicable resolution.  Reading tis forum and another "Audi Forum", it appears that Audi long ago made a decision based on the $$$ bottom line.  They do not associate the recall fix with the current problem. Problem being there are four connections (valves) that are potential leak locations and they are only addressing one of them.  Anyone here old enough to remember how many people died in Ford Pintos (exploding gas tanks) before Ford did the right thing. If anything positive happens based on my ongoing discussions with Audi, I will be back.  Whats's worse?  I also own a 2004 A6 Avant with the same fuel tank. I'm getting too old for many more car purchases, but there will NEVER be another Audi in my future or in my extended family and friends, to the extent that I can help prevent it.  

nrglarry nrglarry
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/16/09
12:45 PM

Rose,
  Did you ever get your fuel tank issue resolved? I just came from my repair shop with a similar problem with my 2000 A6. The shop checked for recalls and begining with the 2001 A6's they are picking up the repairs but none earlier, even though the part numbers are the same. Thus, the same fuel tank but the Audi shop is telling me mine is not covered. Huh? Let me know. Thanks, Larry  

rosyou1 rosyou1
Posted: 02/08/10
04:23 PM

Icon Quotenrglarry:
Rose,
  Did you ever get your fuel tank issue resolved? I just came from my repair shop with a similar problem with my 2000 A6. The shop checked for recalls and begining with the 2001 A6's they are picking up the repairs but none earlier, even though the part numbers are the same. Thus, the same fuel tank but the Audi shop is telling me mine is not covered. Huh? Let me know. Thanks, Larry

Larry, I have not done anything since I posted the comment.   I am really hoping to find someone who has started a class action suit.  I can't sell it, I can't drive it.  I am stuck.  Anyone out there?  Thanks, Rose  

rosyou1 rosyou1
Posted: 02/08/10
05:56 PM

Icon Quoteorta02:
I have a pre-owned certified 2005 A6. About two weeks ago I had the car serviced and Audi replaced the sensors on the fuel tank. The day I picked up the car I could not help to notice the overwhelmingly strong smell of gasoline in the cabin. I immediately called the Audi service department and complained about the smell. The lady who answered the phone simply said that the gas tank was serviced and because the tank is located under the back seat - the smell was a result of the work they did on the car and that the smell would go away in a day or two. After speaking with Audi service I pulled over and checked for leaks. I saw nothing!! but the smell was still very strong even outside the car. Because I didn't see any obvious leaks at the time, I decided to drive home and give it a day or two and see if the smell would go away. After a few days the car wasn't moved and I would check it from time to time but never drove the car for two weeks. Instead I used the family car. Two weeks after the service was done, I filled the car up with fuel (approx 21 gallons) and I immediately smelled the gas inside the cabin once again so I stepped out of the vehicle and sure enough - Gas was pouring from under the car.
I immediately called Audi road side assistance and they were useless - I had them call the fire department and police. I had to get an ok from the fire department to tow the car away. The Audi road side assistance person requested that I tow the car to my house......lol I told her there was no way I was towing the car back to my house. After a few minutes on the phone she said that I would be better off towing the car at my expense and have Audi re-emberse me the money so that's what I ended up doing.
I have always loved the quality of Audi cars but the service has me questioning their reliability and confidence in the work they do. I was given a car that was obviously dangerous to me and my family and those around the vehicle. This was negligence in Audi's part and I am very unhappy with the situation. They released a car that put many people in danger and I don't feel comfortable dealing with them anymore. I have a meeting on Monday with the General Sales Manager to discuss this issue. I will leave an update after I meet with him.

I am curious as to what happened after your meeting.  Rose  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: