Item Posts   

Toyota Corolla Transmission Fluid Color

| 
snort snort
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/11/07
05:20 PM

Hello,
I test drove two 2006 Corollas recently, and on pulling the transmission dipstick and cleaning off on a white paper towel, I was surprised to notice two separate colors. One, the normal cherry red transmission fluid color and the other was black. Both were in equal amounts. Actually, the second car had a more brown tinge to it and not as much black as the first car.
Is this the sign of transmission problems or normal breaking in of the automatic transmission? Both cars were around 20K miles. I have never seen a jet black stain coming from the tranny fluid.
Thanks in advance!  

Hog Rider Hog Rider
Enthusiast | Posts: 275 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/11/07
06:17 PM

with 20k  Black is not good !!!!
but be leary of CHERRY  RED ! as it could have been changed to hide a problem !
Advice .........
Have a Trusted Mechanic  drop the pan and evaluate the  situation  
Hog Rider

snort snort
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/12/07
08:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. The seller brought the car into her dealership and they told her the cause was "buildup". I have no idea what that means. I thought ATF simply degraded and changed color fairly uniformly. My only guess is that the black 'soot' found in the pink ATF was metal filings from worn internal workings of the ATF. Or, is this a Toyota thing? I asked a couple of mechanics who said that it's a car that was handled roughly, and the other said, 'it's not a good sign'.
I have heard of black flakes (from Samarins' website), but this doesn't fit the description of 'flakes'.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com