Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
First |  Prev |  1 |  2 |  3
Item Posts   

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission porblems.

| 
tradeintime tradeintime
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/28/09
01:23 PM

I have an 01 JGC and have had pretty good luck with her, esp. after reading other posts.  I just returned from a local shop.  I had dropped her off for usual maintenance and the shop informed me (and showed me) they found large pieces of a metal ring in the transmission pan.  they suggested replacing the trans with re-built.  at $3000 out the door plus another $1000 for brake work and rear axel seals/bearings, I'm just concerned with spending that amount of money.  the truck has 107K miles but looks brand new almost.  I have not had any truoble with shifting/slipping at all.  Do i take the chance and just drive it until it won't shift?  should i shop around for a better price on a re-built?  i have the V6 2 wheel drive.  looks like i'm lucky i have not had any trans. issues until now, would hate to replace and then experience other tranny costs not covered under the re-built.
Thanks for your time, and advice would be very appriciated!  

jaggir2 jaggir2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/29/10
10:26 PM

I have a 2001 GJC with 130k miles on it. I've just started having problems with the transmission down shifting from 2nd to 1st (small bump) and starting of in 2nd. These problems only occur on cold mornings so I decided to let the jeep warm up before driving it....no tranny issues. After doing some research I found that the solenoid is ment to do this in extreme cold weather to protect the transmission. This is becouse the tranny fild is cold (thicker) so it will start off in second. I dont completly understand it but I replaced the solenoid and the problem is gone. I guess it was fualty? The price of the part was 180 from the auto store and took a few hours (1-2) to put on.

As far as the other problems mentioned=

-Yes the auto windows break...it sucks. Fronts can be replaced for 150 and rears for 200 at a auto store. Average fix time of an hour with common tools
-Break pad wear sucks also...but this is true for all autos. Go to your auto store (I use autozone), spend the 200 dollars for the best breaks with the lifetime replacement. Dont get the low or midrange though b/c the jeep will just eat them up. Average fix time of 2 hours for all four wheels with common tools. My pads have been on for 2.5 years now and I'm just now replacing them... for free(just take them back and get a new set...only cost you a Saturday Smile

All autos have there problems. To me thought these problems are very minor and can be fix by anyone with a Cliton and some cheap tools. If you want real problems go get a BMW or Benz and you wish you had only these problems

JEEPS RULE!!!!  

Kchief54 Kchief54
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 03/14/11
12:07 PM

I have a 2001 JGC 4.0, and for the last three years I have taken the Jeep into the mechanic for the Transmission code. Every year, the mechanic I took the Jeep to had probelms getting it fixed. It would be fixed for about a week, then the transmission would stop shifting, and the check engine light would come back on. I got frustrated enough, that this year I took it into the dealer to fix. They told me that the OD solenoid was bad, and that faulty battery wires had caused the problem, and they wanted $1200 to fix everthing. I was not ready to shell out that much money, so I bought the solenoid from ther dealer, and decided I would fix what I could, then have my mechanic try to fix the solenoid one last time. So I changed out the battery cables, and the battery.When I got my Jeep back together, the transmission shifted properly, and the check engine light has not come back on. It has been a couple of weeks, but all seems to be good. I have not done much checking, but it appears that the bad battery cables had something to do with the issue.  

rmanni01 rmanni01
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/20/11
11:52 PM

2001 Jeep GC, 133K miles (junk, btw Frown).  Daughter driving it, stopped at a red light, put into park.  Tried to put back in drive, would not go past neutral. Put it back into park and turned it off.  Would not start after that.  Acted like it was not into park/gear (not even trying to turn over).  Tranny shop say it needs ripped apart and rebuilt ($1800-2400 guesstimate). Anybody had similar issues?  Thoughts comments welcome.  Thanks!  

ang3420 ang3420
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/06/12
04:59 PM

it is your transmition control modular.  its a 350 dollar part and takes about 2 hours for the shop to put it in.  only jeep sells the part believe me Ive looked everywhere  

First |  Prev |  1 |  2 |  3
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com