Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission porblems.

| 
boshamboy boshamboy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/09/08
06:00 AM

I am not sure of the specifics of your model but my 2001 G.C. Limited 4.0 litre had the same problem.
As some dealers can persuade you that you need a new transmission it is important to follow a rigid logic if you want to avoid wasting money.:
1.Obtain fault code using OBDII diagnostic tool. (or pay dealer to do it for you)
2. Ask dealer to clarify code for you and steps necessary to rectify fault.

The most likely diagnosis is that the transmission input and output speed sensors need replacing (this solved my problem). This job is not beyond the enthusiastic amateur and is relativley inexpensive, depending on the model of transmission you have fitted. However make sure that you replace oil with correct grade of transmission oil. Laugh  

pcrosson pcrosson
Posted: 12/17/08
10:32 AM

You must have my Jeep!!! I had problems with the front end for the first three years. Ran through tires and brakes/rotors. Funny the dealer could not find the problem. My jeep is a 2000 Grand Cherokee. I have kept all my records. I have replaced the door locks on 3 doors, and one of them twice, which equals 4 locks. I have 113,000 miles and now my transmission is slipping, seems to happen between 1 and second gears as I'm turning into an intersection it hesitates then it goes in. I just replaced the blower motor for the AC/Heater... who knows what will happen next.  

pmcclb204 pmcclb204
Posted: 12/29/08
11:20 AM

I can relate to your issues with you GC.  I bought mine in 04 and it had 50,000 miles.  Both motors have gone out in my front and passenger windows.  That cost 400 a piece to fix.  Then my transmission started slipping.  While doing 70mph in 5th gear it would drop to 3rd gear and send my RPM's soaring.  After losing my reverse I took it to a transmission shop.  They said the whole transmission needed to be rebuilt. So I had them rebuild it ($1500). Its been 3 months now and it still kicks hard from 1st to 2nd gear.  Then between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th gear the RMP's kept going up and down.  So I took it back (it's still under warranty) and they hooked it up to a machine.  Now they tell me they have to replace the governor sensor and a selnoid.  I would have thought that would have been replaced with the rebuild but Im not sure.  Otherwise if my car has wore one out that fast already that is a big problem.  Sorry I can't help but can relate to your GC issues.  I love my Jeep also and thats why I haven't sold or traded it in.  

tchang tchang
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/27/09
05:27 AM

Gandolero,

Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you're aware that there is an overdrive option that you can deactivate(button on the left of the gear shifter). If it's deactivated, the jeep will not shift to 5th (?) gear. This is supposed to give you better acceleration. Maybe this is the issue?

Tina  

journeyman3 journeyman3
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 05/09/09
05:37 AM

Hi, mine is stuck in limp mode but only when cold...is this possibly a sensor...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated?  

abrown1 abrown1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/08/09
02:34 PM

Have you recieved any information on this issue?  I have the exact same problems.  What did you have to do to fix the problem?  

nfl3809 nfl3809
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/10/09
05:06 AM

check out recalls and call company to complain.  I have heard of them reimbursing for things that are not recalled if it is a common problem.  I personally did not try yet but I am going to for window motors and air motors.  I'm at the same point. I love my jeep but enough is enough..Good luck  

nfl3809 nfl3809
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/10/09
05:09 AM

watch out for the window motors on a rainy day  

geezjeep geezjeep
Posted: 07/21/09
11:48 AM

Bought my '01 GC in 2004 at around 40,000 miles.  Though now it is eight years old, I've had one too many problems to ever own another Chrysler, much less Jeep product ever again.  Though I didn't have many problems the first couple of years, things got particularly problematic (not the mention EXPENSIVE) around 80,000 miles.  Here are some of the notable repairs I've had done in the past 3 years or so:

Both driver and passenger side window motors replaced
Fuel pump replaced
Engine fan motor replaced
Horn no longer works, must take relay out while driving (unless I want to replace the perfectly good airbag for $1000--no thanks!)

I'm just at 122K now and my check engine light has come on.  Took it to one repair shop and was told the code was for low transmission fluid.  They repaired a leak and refilled my fluid and light disappeared and came right back on.  Took it to another repair shop and was told to get the solenoid governor and sensor replaced--a transmission rebuild would not be necessary.  Hopefully this will fix my problem but it's been enough of a headache to make me want to throw in the towel.  I'll never own another Jeep.  

BaileyRo BaileyRo
Posted: 07/22/09
04:36 PM

I have a 2005 GC Ltd with the 5.7 Hemi engine.  Two days ago while cruising on the highway I heard and felt a clunk and the check engine light came on.  Yesterday the dealer told me it was a "P0750, LR Solenoid Circuit code, cleared and drove, no problem found".  ON the way home it came on again, coincident with a hard almost surging gear change.  JustAnswer.com's Jeep expert told me the solenoid is by far the most likely cause for that code to set. He said it could be the solenoid, the wiring running to it, or the trans controller.  He bets that a solenoid pack would take care of the problem. I'm out of warranty, but still on drivetrain warranty.  Anyone know if this would count as drivetrain?  Otherwise I'm thinking I'll change to a local Jeep mechanic who has a great reputation.  

I love my Jeep also--this is my second, first a 1996 Jeep GC Laredo which my brother is still using with 135,000 miles on it.  It was pretty trouble free until it hit 100K--now seems fine.  The 2005 has had lots of trouble, though not as bad as some of you report!  

440t4 440t4
Guru | Posts: 1009 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 07/22/09
05:15 PM

the solinoid pack is an internal transmission part and should be covered under a drive train warranty.I also think that is the problem.A wire harness or controller fault is possible but unlikely  

sarag252 sarag252
Posted: 07/25/09
10:47 AM

I had the same problem with my 01 GC laredo.  My dad replaced the clutch fan, and now it is a lot better, but now I am having fuel pump troubles.  

RCharlie RCharlie
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/21/09
09:18 AM

Bought a 2001 Cherokee second hand - 6cyl., auto. trans, with about 120 k miles.  Ocassionally, when I stop at a red light, when taking off, the car rpms rev up as though it is in neutral and then takes off about 1/2 second late.  Whasamatter? Confused  

genericspider genericspider
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 10/24/09
08:39 PM

1. Hi all there is a way to check your codes with out having a scanner the jeeps have their own scanner build in if you have a digital odometer then Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.   Go to this site it will explain every thing to you (Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
2.and here is a place to get the parts cheep Transmission parts usa (239-790-5401)  

Jeremiah85 Jeremiah85
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/14/09
07:28 AM

I am thinking about buying a 2002 Jeep GC Overland with the 4.7 HO. Its got 94k on it but the engine was just completely rebuilt. When i test drove it, I noticed it wouldnt shift if I floored it all the way. It would only shift if i let off the gas just a little. This doens't seem normal at all. What could be the problem with that and is this something I should be afraid of? The sales man tried telling me it has to do with the quardro track tranny. Didn't think so...  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com