Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission porblems.

| 
broberts broberts
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/05/07
06:30 PM

I bought my GC new and it has been the most problemmatc vehicle I have ever owned.  All maintenance has been followed closely as to the owners manual.  It started at 12000 miles with new front rotors an brakes, of course not covered by warranty.  Again at 30,000 miles new rotors and brakes and again at 48000.  At 80000 miles the rear seals went out in the rear axles and caused the deterioration of the back brakes and emergency brakes, ($950.00) Merry xmas to me.  At 15000 miles the passenger door lock went out then at 25,000 the driver door lock went as well.  $180 per lock.  At 50,000 miles the ignition locked and I had to have the vehicle towed to a repair shop where $300 later they were able to replace the lock cylinder.  Now the transmission is slipping intermittantly and the shop cannot diagnose the problem.  I have been reading across several forums and have noticed that I am not the only one that is having the same issues.  Almost the dame order and mileage of each problem.  I love my jeep, but enough is enough and I would not buy another one.  It would be nice to hear from others that are having the same issues.  

RomanR RomanR
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/23/07
03:52 PM

Re: 2001 GC Transmission Problems

I am having what may be the same problem on my 01 JGCL, 4.0, 6 cyl, Automatice, 61K miles.

Here are my symptoms:

not much acceleration, seems like it is not starting in first gear all the time, when I slow to stop, I get a bump or jerk as if the trans is trying to down shift and first first.  

I have tried resetting TCM and exchanging trans fluid but nothing has worked.   It is of course out of warranty, and I have yet to get it to a shop yet for a look.

Have you found out anything since you posted?

Roman  

airworld2 airworld2
User | Posts: 107 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 03/25/07
05:45 PM

the common trouble would be governor sensor and solenoid. about 450 to 600 parts and labor.  

RomanR RomanR
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/27/07
07:05 PM

Would the sensor and solenoid cause an OBD code to be readable or the check engine light to come on?

I can find that parts a dealer only so far!!

Thanks for the heads up!  

airworld2 airworld2
User | Posts: 107 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 03/28/07
05:57 PM

yes codes should be set, look for a transmission parts company in your town.They should have them, but you should pay someone to scan for codes first.  

miscad miscad
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 03/28/07
06:42 PM

I also have a 2001 JGC and have had similar problems. When i went to take it to the shop this morning, it was stuck in 1st gear. The Aamco shop says the trans needs to be rebuilt ($1700.00+) and that there were all kinds of codes coming up that point to a rebuild.
Should I ask him just to do the solenoid and governor, go to someone else, attempt it myself or have this guy do the rebuild?
Also, is there any way to force it to shift or do I have to drive it anywhere in first for right now?

Thanks  

FRESH GORDON FRESH GORDON
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/03/07
07:20 AM

I also have a GC; the air bag light stays on every time I switch on the engine. I have had a computer diagnostic machine connected to the jeep and the only fault showing is a faulty Transmission Solenoid between 3 & 4. Has anybody had the same symptoms? Confused  

flyssp flyssp
Posted: 04/05/07
05:12 PM

Whats up? I'm also having the same problem. Not much acceleration,Bump when shifting low speed from first to second gear. I have a warrenty and my jeep has been to the dealer four times for a grand total of five weeks and two rebuilt transmisions later i still have the same damm problem and each tranny seems to be worse than the one befrore. I love my jeep its an 01 grand cherokee larado with the works plus i put some toys in it also like a sound system tv's exc.. Please help or direct me to HELP! ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!  

Rick 02 Grand v8 Rick 02 Grand v8
Posted: 04/11/07
01:21 PM

My 02 Grand has 1 weakness, the transmission. I also had the slam shift from 1 to 2 and check engine light especially on cold mornings. Before i took it to the shop (out of warrenty) I did 2 things: Checked for loose battery cable (yep, ground was barely on) and changed the transmission fluid and BOTH filters (mine has the standard trans filter AND a spin on). Between the 2 fixes the slam shifting stopped Smile The spin on filter has had problems in the past but don't know if that was the fix. Smirk  

brickwahle brickwahle
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/07/07
03:56 PM

This morning my 2001 GC wouldn't shift out of first gear until about 4500 rpms. Same thing once I got up to highway speeds. The dealer just told me it was the solonoid and govenor sensor. $550.

Just thought I'd pass it along in this thread as this problem sounds pretty common.  

04cherokeesukz 04cherokeesukz
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/02/08
08:56 PM

Yep, bought my 04 g c l in October. with an extended warranty. Wow , did I get my money;s worth outa that! So far I've had the solenoid/sensor in trans changed, the wiring harness,purged trans system, replaced trans filters, grease packed in the splines in drivetrain got rid of the annoying clunk in the rear, and jus a couple days ago they put a fresh trans in it including a torque converter which minimalized all the ridiculous amount of play in the rear that is also apparently a common trait. Still it's jumping outta gear under load, mostly between 40 and 50mph.Initially I believed it was slipping out of gear, now I'm not sure if that is always the case or if it is actually some of the time hesitating to engage into gear, as most always it is happening at the point at which the trans is in shift mode. Currently there are no warning codes showing up for this problem that occurs multiple times on a daily basis whether the trans is cold or hot. Probably gonna give it back if they dont fix it soon, just not worth the aggravation, federal lemon law oughta cover my a. Peace to all, ronpaul2008.com = FREEDOM  

christopherbernard christopherbernard
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/29/08
09:55 PM

wow. my 2001 GC sounds exactly the same...unreal. These things are garbage. lets see
bought it new in 2001 since then I: ...
-replaced fuel pump
-water pump
-cat converter
-Oh yes the infamous brake warpage ...complete brakes 5times
-shocks all four corners
-door hinge stop
-transmission governor cylinoid
-rear axle seals
-driver window accuator  $600 !
-cam shaft position sensor
-duty cycle purge valve (vacuum leak)
-fan clutch assembly
-battery
-ALL gas rams on hood and hatch
-new wheel hub assembly. bad bearing
-and now the transmission is toast...stuck in 1st like you guys!

Ill never own a crysler again  

christopherbernard christopherbernard
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/30/08
05:21 PM

mine did the same thing 4 yrs ago, jeep replaced the governor cylinoid to fix it. now its doing it again so i replaced it again $250 for parts.... still not shifting out of first.  

vinsont vinsont
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/03/08
08:20 AM

Stuck in 1st!!!

Make sure it is not just in limp mode. A sensor can go bad in your transmission that will cause your car to only go in 1st to "save" your transmission.

Make sure you take it to someone you trust.

Other issues sound about standard issues once you get 70K+ miles on one of these pups.  

gandolero gandolero
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/08/08
07:45 AM

well yesterday I had my first major problem with my jeep, I bought it used 3 1/2 years ago with 98k miles, and this is the second time i had a problem with it (by reading this thread I now consider myself extremely lucky!!!), its a 2001 6cyl G.C. Laredo, and the only problem I had was a window regulator a couple months after I bought it. Its got now 164k miles, YES 164,000 miles, and until yesterday was running smoothly and without a single problem at all, however the BAD news is that the transmission started behaving erratically since yesterday morning, it wouldnt shift out of first gear unless I stepped on the gas hard enough to reach 4500 rpm, and then it would shift to second gear and behave normally from there on.... This morning when I first drove it, I hoped it would maybe run a little better, but its doing exactly the same, with the exception that for the first time, at a red light when it turned green I realized that it was accellerating slowly, and all of a sudden it shifted down to 1st gear and then it suddenly accellerated, so... yes there is a problem.

Now, by reading previous threads of this same topic, I saw a repply that mentioned something about a dealer reffering the solonoid and govenor sensor for that specific problem. I already checked the fluid level and it seemed a little too high above both bubbles, I double checked it when it warm and cold before cranking it up in the morning and it was still above the full marking... last time I checked the fluid was over 6 months ago, and now I wonder if that could be the problem? I am going later on today to an oil change place and get the fluid drained and flush the system, and filled back up with new fluid to see if it will correct anything at all... any suggestions? thanks!  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com