Item Posts   

4L60E - 1st and 2nd, no 3rd or 4th...

| 
smaddock smaddock
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/28/07
06:54 PM

Hi,

I'm from Australia and have a Holden Commodore (1996 model) with the 4L60E auto trans.  I've recently bolted on a supercharged topend to the engine.

The problem I'm having is that the transmission only has reverse, 1st and 2nd.  It won't shift out of 2nd at all.  To diagnose a little, I disconnected the 2-3 shift solenoid at the ecu which then gave me reverse, 3rd and 4th when in OD, and I can get 2nd if shifter is in either 1st or 2nd.

When I disconnect the 2-3 shift solenoid the check engine light doesn't illuminate, but if I disconnect the 1-2 shift solenoid it does.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Now I'm not sure if I've knocked a wire that I shouldn't have, or if it is an ECU problem, but a week before I fitted the supercharger the trans was working fine.

Any ideas as this is really doing my head in??  

transdoctor transdoctor
User | Posts: 74 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 03/01/07
09:42 PM

Well the solenoid state in those gear are both on in first, B on in Second Both off in third and A on in fourth. So when you unplug the transmission you get a 3rd gear start and Hydraulicly the 4L60e will give you second no matter what the solenoids are doing. The diagnosits if woring properly should not allow a 3-4 shift at all if the 2-3 solenoid is not connected. Electrical problems can cause issues like this. Verify the Pressure switch manifold in the transmission and also the other wiring are not damaged or changed.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com