Item Posts   

2002 Audi A4 CVT gearbox problems

| 
disapointed disapointed
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/13/07
01:47 AM

Hi
My A4 is shaking and shudering and they have just replaced the coils but its still doing it. They have told me new gearbox required and thats after only 55,000K!!!!!! I am a lady owner and dont thrash my car just drive it nice and quiet... Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Ofcourse its now out of warranty and is going to cost A$11,000 in parts alone.... HELP - wondered if anyone else had any thoughts......  

bobsdr bobsdr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/14/07
01:10 PM

Based on my experience, get ready for more trouble.  I have a 2002 A4, CVT Transmission with 89K miles and am putting in tranmission #3.  The car has trashed two transmissions already and Audi pleads ignorance and acts as if they have no responsibility for manufacturing a faulty system.  I have talked to literally 25 to 30 transmission people around the nation and that transmission has more problems than you can imagine.  I have been looking for a rebuilt, used, or any other kind and they are next to impossible to find unless you pay over $6,000 to Audi.  My advice is either make sure you have an extended warranty or get rid of the car as fast as you can.  

rshimizu12 rshimizu12
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/18/07
01:31 AM

A neighbor is a sales manager at a local Audi dealership. Audi has decided to discontinue the CVT transmissions. The CVT transmission is manufactured by ZF. He tells me that the transmission is so complicated that the dealers are simply replacing the entire transmision. The $6000 warranty cost is much for Audi. So this is why Audi is fighting their customers so much and this is really lame  

melannbailey melannbailey
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/26/07
02:27 PM

I had my Audi CVT transmission go out last night...I think.  Trans fluid everywhere, wont go into gear, wont drive, smells of burnt fluid, etc.  I am having it looked at tomorrow and am terrified of what I am reading about the troubles and costs.  I'm already in for $850.00 towing it home, and just had the water pump, timing belt and various other parts replaced for $1400 3 days ago!! My car has 70k and I am pissed off as well. The car is only worth $17,000 and if a transmission costs $6000 I am going to freak! HELP!  

rcamp rcamp
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/20/07
10:53 AM

I have a 2003 A4 Turbo that is just 3 months past warranty and only has 38700 miles on it and the transmission just shut down.  The car would start and go into gear but would not move.  I had it towed to dealership where I get all my checkups and maintance work and they are saying it needs a new gearbox and cooling line (basically a whole new transmission installed).  The quote to fix is $7200.  I still owe $7k on the car and I am freaking out.  Everyone I have spoken to local mechanics and forum sites all say that there is a HUGE problem with Audi A4 and some Cabrio's starting with 2002 and older due to CVT gearbox problems b/c the cars are so complicated and run by computers they are extremely expensive to fix.  The cars are giving out under 50k miles and after warranties are expired. I have also read a ton of customer issues regarding sludge in oil lines not sure if this is related but seems to also be a problem on Audi A4's.  I noticed a recall for 2003 A4 fuel systems:fuel pumps as well.  I plan on not letting this go and will keep at it till they at least pay for the parts, etc.  This is NOT RIGHT!  They are selling expensive faulty vehicles.  

SueM SueM
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/04/07
06:05 PM

I bought a certified used A4 Avant 6 mos ago.  Loved it until 4 weeks ago when the oil light came on (@55K). The Audi service people said not to worry about it unless it was flashing.  No hurry to get it looked at. I took it in to be checked anyway. Took about 10 days to replace the engine. The service guy even asked "didn't they tell you about the engine problems with this model?" I guess I look like an idiot because an intelligent person would not buy a car with the expectation of engine trouble. I had the car home 4 days. Less than 200 miles later the car wouldn't go into reverse. The service people said to drive it to the dealer. (60 miles away) I tried but soon found myself standing on the side of a 3 lane highway waiting for the tow truck. I am hoping to pick up my car with a it's brand new transmission tomorrow. Total cost to me is $50.00. Thank god I have the 100K warranty. Now I am not sure if I should sell or keep it since all the big ticket items have been replaced.  Confused  

graz graz
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/01/07
05:08 PM

God this also sounds too familiar... 2nd transmission is going into my A4 this year after in 111,000km  Confused  now and I thought I would be OK as I took out an Extended Manufacturers Warranty through All States Warranty Network (Australia) who now say they will not cover the full cost - they say "It´s not a NEW car warranty you have, it´s an extended manufacturers warranty....".  What the hell does that mean?! Audi say it would be covered under their manufacturers warranty but ASWN have been rude & their offer of $3600 of the total of $7700 cooperative in the extreme & will not release the car back to me unless I sign a release agreeing to their offer. I said no & they have increased their offer to $4600 but I´d still be $3000 out of pocket. I am now talking to Consumer Affairs AND to Audi who sold me the car & warranty. ASWN say that most of the damage is "consequential" & told me to "go and read your warranty book".  Mad  My argument is that there is NO other way to interpret an extension of the manufacturers warranty than it extends the manufacturers warranty! Do the right thing Audi and ASWN.  

graz graz
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/01/07
05:10 PM

God this also sounds too familiar... 2nd transmission is going into my A4 this year after in 111,000km  Confused  now and I thought I would be OK as I took out an Extended Manufacturers Warranty through All States Warranty Network (Australia) who now say they will not cover the full cost - they say "It´s not a NEW car warranty you have, it´s an extended manufacturers warranty....".  What the hell does that mean?! Audi say it would be covered under their manufacturers warranty but ASWN have been rude & uncooperative in the extreme have offered just $3600 of the total of $7700 & will not release the car back to me unless I sign a release agreeing to their offer. I said no & they have increased their offer to $4600 but I´d still be $3000 out of pocket so I am now talking to Consumer Affairs AND to Audi who sold me the car & warranty. ASWN say that most of the damage is "consequential" & told me to "go and read your warranty book".  Mad  My argument is that there is NO other way to interpret an extension of the manufacturers warranty than it extends the manufacturers warranty! Do the right thing Audi and ASWN.  

saved7 saved7
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/28/07
08:35 AM

I have an a4 2002, model and my cvt is doing the same thing. does any one know how force Mad  Mad  Mad  audi into recalling all of these cvt transmissions. because there's no way we're all wrong. their should be a class action law suit against audi.   I think every one with these problems should all start calling into audi's corporate office and demand a recall for this part..    we're going to have to work together to make this happen.  

saved7 saved7
08:40 AM

Hi Thread,

just wanted to know, whatever happened with your car, i have an a4-02 model
and i'm just looking for a way to get out of this piece of trash. audi need to recall all of these cvt transmssions.... let me know, thanks Confused  

saved7 saved7
08:47 AM

hi , saw your comment, listen , if you were smart , you would get rid of that car while you can. because when it goes it goes. its to costly & it was built cheaply. these cars are not dependable. run from it now  Frown  

lkpresnell lkpresnell
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/13/08
09:43 PM

Have an '03 A4 we bought as a demo. We have had a multitude of problems over the years since we bought it. None have been too serious as to have us go running from it. It is my wife's car and she loves the little thing. I am now 2 months outside of manufacturer warrenty and currently with no warranty. Within warranty, one of my complaints was that the tranny felt like it was slipping. They couldn't duplicate. For long time prior to last service under warranty, there was a winding noise when releasing the accelerator. Audi did not say anyting to be during last visit. Outside of warranty, hear another noise and take it to independant service shop. They say I have tranny problems. I call Audi and then take it to the dealership. Dealership says that tranny must be replaced, cannot be rebuilt. Audi tells dealership they will cover 50%. The cost of this job in total is $6,800. They expect me to pay the other $3,400. I will be talking with Audi about this tomorrow morning. I AM NOT HAPPY!  

alexk alexk
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/22/08
12:42 PM

Hello everybody!
Sorry to hear that you all are having such problems with your CVT gearbox.  I was an Audi salesperson, then moved up to be an Audi Service Advisor and eventually became a Sales Manager.  I can tell from experience that these CVT gearboxes problems are NOT the majority of the cases, although I have seen a few complaints (please note that I am not defending Audi blindly here, just posting what I have experienced).  Honestly I think that the CVT transmission that Audi uses are one of the most amazing pieces of technologies used in the industry, but obviously not entirely bullet proof.  I have owned a 2003 A6 and a 2005 (1/2) A4 2.0T with this transmission, both without a problem.  I have noticed that most of the major problems occurred with the B6 A4 platform (2002 through 2005 Year Model) and haven't seen it come back in the B7 platform (2005 (1/2) through the present).  I suggest, while dealing with your service advisor, to call upon his superior, but you really want to get to the SHOP FOREMAN, that is the guy that will talk to Audi corporate directly, not only to try to find the problems you have, but to get an answer or solution, straight from the manufacturer.  SHOP FOREMANS usually have a lot of experience and they HAVE to keep up to date with what is going on with recalls or isolated issues.  Babies that don't cry, usually don't get fed...  

alexk alexk
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/22/08
12:51 PM

Oh, by the way... not to be a party pooper, but I don't see Audi doing a recall on this transmission (although I am praying to be wrong), mostly because they have done their extensive testing on the CVT transmission (all properly documented) before releasing to the market, meaning, they have enough data to prove that the system is not defective from a design stand point (again, not saying that you all are experience is bogus either), it is also a "wear and tear" part (to some point) and that explains why they are not willing to cover 100% of the cost (as mentioned in one of the posts), and like I mentioned before - although there are a good number of cases of complaints, in terms of percentage of cars sold with this transmission, the numbers of complaints do not come near a red flag for a recall campaign.  Again, just taking a neutral position and trying to describe the situation.  Good luck to you all (without trying to be sarcastic).  

lemonaudi1 lemonaudi1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/25/08
11:08 PM

Unlike others whose transmissions failed at over 100,000 miles, my CVT failed at just over 50,000 miles- TWICE.  Of course the first time, the entire transmission had to be replaced- to the tune of $8000.  They told me that they had "never seen anything like this before."  Clearly, thats crap because just 2,000 miles later- the new CVT failed.  I have taken the car in multiple times, prior to the second break-down, because of shuddering and jolting, and I was told that there was nothing wrong with it.  My car is only worth $18,000 at this point, so I'm clearly not going to put $16,000 worth of transmissions in it in one year!!!  I can't believe that they are selling such poor quality cares, that they require maintenance that costs more than the value of the vehicle!!  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Audi A4
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan
Rating:
Average Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com