Item Posts   

Oil Change for Turbo charged Cars

| 
David S David S
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/02/06
08:00 PM

Hi all.

I am curious about how often you should change the oil on cars with turbo charged engines. I currently live in the Phoenix Arizona, so the temperatures in the summer time may need to be factored in.

Appreciate your help.

Dave

doratheexplorer doratheexplorer
User | Posts: 235 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/02/06
08:46 PM

Add in dust and you've got the trifecta! I'd change the oil and filter every 2-3K miles and start budgeting $15/month for a remanufactured turbo.  

David S David S
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/03/06
06:21 AM

Dora - what about the "synthetic" oils I have heard about where you may be able to go 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Or, is the heat that major out here?
Dave  

doratheexplorer doratheexplorer
User | Posts: 235 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 01/03/06
08:01 AM

David S wrote:
Dora - what about the "synthetic" oils I have heard about where you may be able to go 5,000 to 6,000 miles. Or, is the heat that major out here?
Dave

We're talking turbos and levels of comfort: if I wanted to extend the oil and filter change interval, I'd use a 100% synthetic base (Mobil 1, Castrol SYNTEC, etc.) and a Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One filter. Again, this is a level of comfort issue when the power train is beyond warranty. Otherwise, stick to intervals stated in the owner's manual.  

Rapid Robert Rapid Robert
Enthusiast | Posts: 328 | Joined: 01/06
Posted: 01/20/06
08:33 PM

ALL TURBO USER'S PAY ATTENTION !

Do not use anything oil that is not full synthetic. Conventional oil or combo oil (conventional and synthetic blend) The worst problem with turbo's is the heat they generate. Turbos are oil lubricated by a pressure line and a return line. With the high heat oil will "COKE" and clog the return line with carbon particiles. These particles will also get in the bearing area and cause premature failure. Two major reason turbos fail are, 1) dirty air hitting the vanes and 2) improper lubrication. You guys who like to spool the turbos to the max  and make a quick stop, shuting down the engine quickly are killing them! They need to "idle down" just like a big rig that is turbo charged. The oil will draw off the high heat you just got done making, if you let it idle for a minute or two before shuting it down. The oil will not "coke" if you use full synthetic.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com