Xml
Item Posts   

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, GAS HOG!!

| 
ajeep ajeep
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/05
Posted: 09/19/05
07:50 PM

I just purchased a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0 I-6 engine.  The gas milage is ridiculous, 12.3 MPG at average.  Is this normal or is there something wrong with mine?

Could anyone help?  

CrunchyCookie CrunchyCookie
User | Posts: 153 | Joined: 01/05
Posted: 09/21/05
08:54 AM

You should be getting about 17.

radlynx radlynx
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 11/05
Posted: 11/28/05
03:56 PM

if you just purchased that jeep, chances are the previous owner didn't maintain it well.  why don't you try replacing your existing oil and filter with a 100% full synthetic oil.  I would recommend using AMSOIL Synthetic Oil and the newly released AMSOIL Filter with nanofiber technology and at the same time buy an engine flush too to remove all the deposits on your engine before putting in the synthetic oil.  I am pretty sure your gas mileage will improve and you'll see the difference in performance too.  

by the way, i am an authorized AMSOIL Dealer and you could get the oil and filter from this site: http://www.lubedealer.com/best-lube

have an open mind and try it on your car.  i use the same product for my car and changes my oil every 25000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.  usually i reach around 15000 miles a year.   not bad.

spiked2u spiked2u
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/12/06
03:24 AM

i have a 94 jeep grand cherokee v-8. i bought a k & n filter for it and i actually improved 5 mpg... try it out on yours. it cost me about 55 bucks.also buy the recharge kit for it also...  

tyelr tyelr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/04/06
05:55 AM

I just purchased the same vehicle on sunday 7-2-06 and it is stating on the computer i am getting 19.6 to 21 mpg on the hwy at average..

is there anything as far as mechanical and or suspension problems i should look for this is my first jeep dont know to much about them?
thanks  

cate cate
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/20/06
09:58 AM

dumb thought, but we are getting fairly good milage(over 21/gal)in town...mostly better...have you given any thought to how you are driving.  We seem to have a lot of lead footed people always in a hurry around here now.  I do the speed limit(too often just over it)...been doing rather well on the milage thing and she is due for a tune-up, too.  

longfellow longfellow
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/20/06
04:37 AM

I just did a check on mpg. on my just bought vehicle;

It,s a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I realize vehicles are different but have same engine. Aerodynamics on the Grand Cherokee should be better than my Cherokee Sport.

My milleage was:
    City=  14 mpg.
   interstate highway=  22 mpg.

Whats the weight difference?  Believe my Cherokee Sport is like 3300 lbs. without checking registration . Whats the Grand Cherokee Weigh?  

ZRex1102 ZRex1102
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/23/06
11:04 PM

100% on amsoil- I'm a dealer as well.  GREAT stuff!  Might also want to drop in a K&N air filter.  Get some more horses and improve gas mileage.  Jeep also recommends a decarb service where they will put in a new PCV valve and do an engine decarb using chemicals to remove carbon deposits.  Fuel filter replacement wouldn't hurt depending on mileage.  Also, see about getting the injectors cleaned.  Get it done somewhere and don't just get the crap you dump in your gas tank.  Those a probably some of the more important things to do.  Oh yeah, may also want to change the spark plugs.  

This might cost some $$$ but I would just do a few things here and there.  But in the long run, if you're getting such crappy mileage you'll end up spending it anyway on gas.  Hope this helps!  

Boady Boady
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/27/06
12:28 AM

Are you figuring out the mileage yourself or relying on the computer?  Our 04 says we're getting 15 but doing the math manually showed we're really getting 19.  Now I need to figure out how to calibrate the system.  

CoyotesHowl CoyotesHowl
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/11/06
04:19 AM

Yes, a dumb thought.
I drive mine conservatively, partly to try to get better than 12 MPG and it doesn't help.
I did find out however, it has a bold broken on the "manifold' (??)which is causing an exhaust leak. Could that be the problem?

Don't buy one if you can help it, they are full of defects.
Also, having the quadra drive is not helping. I can feel it kicking in on any kind of turn. THAT uses a lot of gas.

Hope ya'll have better luck with Jeep then me.  

kstar2 kstar2
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/09/06
08:01 AM

http://kstar4.bravehost.com/car/auto-insurance-company.htm
http://kstar4.bravehost.com/car/car-insurance.htm
http://kstar4.bravehost.com/car/carinsurance.htm
http://kstar4.bravehost.com/car/index.htm  

kylekell kylekell
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 10/10/06
05:51 AM

Ya i have a 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 and i am getting about 11.3 MPG, which is ridiculous, do u seeem to have any transmission problems of any kind or any other technical problems, besides gas milage?  

rockerga rockerga
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/13/06
01:08 AM

I have owned a 96 since brand spanking new and used to get (if memory serves) around 16-17mpg city and 19mpg on the highway.  But very soon after purchasing I lifted it and put on larger (31") tires and now I am lucky to get 12.4mpg PER THE ONBOARD COMPUTER.  I have not calculated it on my own but I know its close because I can't pass a gas station!  I have over 150,000 miles(with good maintenance habits)on it and I can at least say the only complaint I can have against this Jeep ever is the gas mileage.  The only problem I have currently is a small leak at the rear main seal and all other maintenance or repair issues were in relation to mileage and or useage.  

lbastian lbastian
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/09/10
02:20 PM

Did you buy an air intake system or just the filter?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com