Xml
Item Posts   

1984 Chevy van

| 
stevebandl stevebandl
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/27/05
08:34 AM

I'm working on a 1984 chevy van with a 350.  Suspected fuel pump failure.  Installed new fuel pump with negative results.  Still not pumping fuel to the carb.  I've ruled out a possible problem from the tank to the pump by disconnecting the intake line from the pump and attaching a hose from it into a can of gas.  Still won't pump fuel to the carb.  I'm suspecting now that there may be a problem with the internal fuel pump pushrod.  I held my fingers on it while I had someone turn the ignition key to turn over the engine.  It doesn't move.  Shouldn't it move?  Could this be my problem and if so, how much of a job is it to replace the pushrod.  Please help!!!  

pauto pauto
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 08/27/05
08:11 PM

It's not the pushrod it's the lobe on the cam, just buy a cheap electric fuel pump and replace the old one for a cheap fix. Real fix is to replace camshaft.  

stevebandl stevebandl
Posted: 08/28/05
08:07 AM

pauto wrote:
It's not the pushrod it's the lobe on the cam, just buy a cheap electric fuel pump and replace the old one for a cheap fix. Real fix is to replace camshaft.

Thanks  So I assume if I go the electric pump route, I just plug all of the ports on the mechanical pump and leave it in place correct?  

pauto pauto
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 08/28/05
02:08 PM

Sure if you want to but it will not hurt anything if you don't.  

stevebandl stevebandl
Posted: 08/29/05
07:31 AM

pauto wrote:
Sure if you want to but it will not hurt anything if you don't.

I have since found out that the pushrod is not attached to the camshaft which explains why it doesn't move when the engine turns over with the fuel pump off.  The spring in the fuel pump pushes the pushrod up to the lobe on the camshaft which, upon contact, gives motion to the pushrod and THEN you get the pulsing action.  I have been told that I have to grease the rod then push it up and get it to stay there long enough for me to insert the fuel pump plunger into the cavity on the block so that then the end of the pushrod will rest on the top of the plunger.  It helps sometimes if you know how an engine works interally when you're trying to make an external repair.  Thanks for your help.  

joel-#001 joel-#001
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/05
Posted: 09/17/05
11:42 AM

hello, my name is joel, id like to have an advice from you guys because someone selling me his chevy van 1984, it was just a 90,000+ mileage. i havent seen actually the van and i dont have an idea how it looks like. could you guys give me an advice.  what will i need to know about this van. and how reliable it is... thanks a lot..

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com