Item Posts   

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - Engine Dies Periodically

| 
Lionstone Lionstone
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/09/05
08:04 AM

First a bit of background. Emotion 1
My check engine light came on, it was the evaporation system.  Replaced the gas cap since that's what the mechanic said was usually the problem.  The light came back on after I got my next tank of gas.  Both times it was around the 3/4 tank mark.  Turned out to be a split hose.  I'm mentioning just in case it could be related.

This time, though, there's a new problem.  The engine dies occaisionally.  Just once every 3-5 days.  It started after I had the car checked out the first time from the problem above when I got it back from the mechanic.  It's always when I'm turning right, but I guess that could be a coincidence, and always at low speed (10 mph max) since I'm turning.  There's no noise, no smell, no smoke, and it always starts right back up.  Does anyone have any idea where to even start?  I'm good enough to actually do the work if I know what the problem is (usually), but I'm horrible at diagnosing a problem.

Anyway, I appreciate your time.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4.7L V8, 47500 miles  

Bradz99 Bradz99
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/13/05
12:12 AM

HI,

hope I can help, this symptom sounds electrical.  What you can do is look under the hood, have goggles on, and try to move any cable harnesses.  When you move something like that with the engine running, something could fall into the fan blade and?  so goggles are a great idea for this test.

If youre going to move the spark plug wires, use a hardwood stick with a regular neon bulb taped or glued to one end.   The high voltage will light the bulb

One common failure is with a cable harness going into any box that has a connector.  Usually the connector inside the box is soldered onto a circuit board, the solder cracks and makes an intermittent connection.  Cable to cable connectors? They are very rugged in auto apps, so its almost impossible to see one fail.  Cable to circuit board? high failure.

So move cable harnesses with the engine running, if you find a break the engine will stall

Lionstone Lionstone
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/22/05
01:15 PM

Bradz99 wrote:

So move cable harnesses with the engine running, if you find a break the engine will stall

Thanks for the suggestion.  I wouldn't have thought of an electrical problem since my radio stays on when it dies, but I guess if it's just one connection that's bad...

I'll check it out tonight.  

shinobi shinobi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 04/29/06
05:16 PM

any time your engine dies at low speeds/rpms CLEAN YOUR CARBORATOR!!!!!  

Vandy-1 Vandy-1
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 04/06
06:23 PM

Check your EGR valve, it is common that a problem with it will cause
the engine to stall at low speed/rpm's.  

Johnswiftm Johnswiftm
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 07/05
11:23 PM

Good thought if the truck had a carb.  

jmjster jmjster
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/16/08
05:01 AM

Have the exact same problem with my 2004 Dodge Ram. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a "vacuum leak" and I needed to replace the gas cap. Did that and not surprisingly, it did NOT fix the problem. Lionstone, or anyone else out there resolve their problem ?? Thanks  

jmjster jmjster
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/24/08
10:14 AM

Vandy-1 spot on ! Thanks ! It was the EGR valve in my case. Had it replaced and the problem was resolved completely  Smile  Hope this helps someone else with same problem.  

menglish menglish
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/22/08
08:17 AM

Does your 2004 Ram have the 5.7 Hemi?  I had the exact same problem tonight when I came home. There is no warning but it seems to chug slightly when downshifting (Auto Trans). The trouble code I get from the odometer is hr1579. Thanks in advance!  Mark  

howery1 howery1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/14/08
11:46 AM

Hey Mark, I have the same problem with my 2004 5.7 Hemi.  When slowing down the engine idles up and down (chugs) 2-300 RPM, maybe it stalls and maybe it doesn't.  I have read on a few other pages that agree that once the EGR valve is replaced the problem goes away.  I'm going to try that.  I also thought maybe fuel filter?  

Does anyone know where the fuel filter is?  I can't find it, is it above the fuel tank?  Do I have to take the tank out?  

OH, here are some links of trouble code links for Dodge vehicles:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/idl...

Might help.  ALSO:  Does anyone know where the EGR valve is?  Bought my truck used and it didn't come with a manual, anyone know where to get one (besides paying big bucks at the dealership)?  Thanks.  

Motohead Motohead
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/14/08
03:51 PM

Being an old thread I'm sure you figured it out by now, but for those still searching the EGR valve on '04-later Hemis is on the front of the passenger side head. Not sure if any parts houses have them. I have an '03 so I'll never have to worry about it.  

rolinstein rolinstein
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/19/08
11:59 AM

Guys try checking your throttle position sensor. I understand that this is a common problem on these trucks. I can't tell you how to check it but mine was replaced by my mechanic
. 2003 ram 1500 quad cab slt  

toyota2300 toyota2300
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/27/09
08:01 PM

Hello I have the same truck as you, and also had those problems, funny you mention @ low speeds; I bet you usually when you brake. I took me a while but to make the story short the problem is evap box which is under the driver seat outside the truck if you look the clams are probably broken due to wear and tear and because they are made out plastic. All you have to do is put new metal clams on all the connections to the box which are 6 of them after you do this clear the ECU and Ta-Da, Just remember that this might not fix all your problems but just think that you have described the same symptoms that my truck had so I'm confident this will help you ALOT.  

w2hemi w2hemi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/02/09
04:01 PM

Fuel filter is part of the Pump as per dodge go fiqure  383.00 for a filter

No other choice but I was told that they last about 75K before there is a problem  

jameslmao jameslmao
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/08/10
02:23 PM

It could be the fuel pump, thats whats happening to my parents truck, plus the dodge rams have that problem of stalling while turning it doesnt do it all the time but just randomly, just like if youre backing up it tends to do it too, but my parents have changed the fuel pump and the engine light stopped coming on.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com