Xml
Item Posts   

700 r4 wont shift....

| 
volksjunky volksjunky
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/05
Posted: 07/16/05
07:43 PM

I just baught a 87 chevy truck that has some tranny issues.It seems to only work in first gear,it moves in any position you put the shifter but it will not shift up at all.I checked and adjusted the throttle sensor cable,changed fluid and filter,but still no luck.Any advice would be appreciated,  

Johnswiftm Johnswiftm
Enthusiast | Posts: 658 | Joined: 07/05
Posted: 07/17/05
07:09 AM

Check to make sure your vaccum line is hooked up to the modulator. If it is then try swapping out the modulator. If that doesn't fix it then it is a problem in the valve body....probably a bad check ball.  

volksjunky volksjunky
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/05
Posted: 07/20/05
05:52 PM

that was the first thing I thought of,this thing doesnt have a modulator,Im thinkinkin' something is definitely stuck somewhere.  

pauto pauto
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 07/20/05
07:12 PM

Unless you know how to rebuild a 700, call the junkyard or get a rebuilt unit. Here are just a few things that cause no shift; 2-4 band, servo seals, 1-2 shift valve stuck, govenor gear  broken or valve stuck, tv valve stuck...ect. You need to know what you are doing before you bust her open!  

cea75679 cea75679
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/05
Posted: 08/18/05
09:41 AM

pauto wrote:
Unless you know how to rebuild a 700, call the junkyard or get a rebuilt unit. Here are just a few things that cause no shift; 2-4 band, servo seals, 1-2 shift valve stuck, govenor gear broken or valve stuck, tv valve stuck...ect. You need to know what you are doing before you bust her open!

It seems as if this symptom has only one resolution: open up the transmission and rebuild.  Is this correct?  I have the same issue on an '84 caprice.  I left it on blocks for a month, and it wouldn't shift after that.  It's as if something is stuck.
Thanks,
Carl

pauto pauto
User | Posts: 218 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 08/18/05
07:05 PM

A rebuild is not the solution every time, What I'm trying to say is you need to know what is wrong with your trans before you start any repair. If you do have a stuck valve in the valve body unless you have alot of trans experince you may create more problems. More bad news the 82-84 700s were the least reliable units after that they recived many upgrades.
A good Trans shop will be able to diag and repair your problem, might be costly @5+ hours  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com