Xml
Item Posts   

A/C COMPRESSOR PROBLEM 1996 FORD TAURUS

| 
juniorbaiter juniorbaiter
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/13/06
05:18 AM

My son's a/c compressor seized up on his 1996 Taurus.  He has limited funds to fix the car and would like to know if he puts a junkyard compressor in just to "take up the place" of the compressor pulley, if the car will be usable.  I guess the main question here is does the compressor need to be charged and fully operable to be lubricated and not burn up from normal use without the a/c functioning.  Thanks, Jim  

vwhobo vwhobo
User | Posts: 126 | Joined: 07/06
07:21 AM

Icon Quotejuniorbaiter:
My son's a/c compressor seized up on his 1996 Taurus.  He has limited funds to fix the car and would like to know if he puts a junkyard compressor in just to "take up the place" of the compressor pulley, if the car will be usable.  I guess the main question here is does the compressor need to be charged and fully operable to be lubricated and not burn up from normal use without the a/c functioning.  Thanks, Jim

I'm just wondering.  Do you not feel the need to thank someone for trying to help you because you're special or rude?

http://forums.automotive.com/community/70/16963/maintenance-repair/general-auto-repair/replacing-an-a-c-compressor-in-a-1996-ford-taurus/index.html

The courteous thing to do is reply with a thanks when honest a-ssistance is provided BEFORE going to the next thread.  On the other hand, I've noticed a lot of that behavior on this forum.

Yes you can install a different compressor as long as the clutch spins freely.  A better choice would be to use a Dorman AC bypass pulley.  I believe the part number for your application is 34184. You should be able to pick one up for about $35  

07:52 AM

I'm new to this forum and hope I didn't violate any etiquette guidelines. I hope a belated thanks will suffice.  I also thank you for the advice on the bypass pulley.  This is the first I'm hearing of this type of fix.  I'll do a google search and try to locate one.  Thanks,  Jim  

vwhobo vwhobo
07:55 AM

Icon Quotejuniorbaiter:
I'm new to this forum and hope I didn't violate any etiquette guidelines. I hope a belated thanks will suffice.  I also thank you for the advice on the bypass pulley.  This is the first I'm hearing of this type of fix.  I'll do a google search and try to locate one.  Thanks,  Jim

Cool enough.  Advance Auto Parts definitely carries them.  They're probably under the brand name Motormite.  

Posted: 07/16/06
04:07 AM

Well, Part is ordered at Advanced, should come in sometime tomorrow. I removed the alternator, power steering pump and bracket and the a/c compressor.  It was a little tricky with a hidden bolt or two but we got it done.  My concern now is that I hope the replacement part just bolts up to the existing compressor bracket.  If not, it looks like the a/c compressor bracket is also part of the motor mount. Thanks again for making me aware of the bypass pulley solution.  Jim  

vwhobo vwhobo
Posted: 07/16/06
09:38 AM

Good job, I hope it works out for you.  

Posted: 07/18/06
11:43 AM

Just a quick update;  Car is back together (the only thing not included in the bypass pulley box were the three mounting bolts needed to attach it  to the compressor bracket).  The choices were to repair the a/c at a cost of probably over a grand or go the way of this fix which was less than $50.  Thanks for the info and input gathered here.  Jim  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com