First |  Prev |  3 |  4 |  5
Item Posts   

Odyssey DVD sound problem

| 
ridemycdoo ridemycdoo
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/24/09
09:06 PM

I have a 05 odyssey  that the dvd will play thru the car speakers  but no sound comes from the head phones.. and there is no audio from the head phone in any radio, cd, xm at all ... dealership said we have to replace the whole head unit that will cost 1388.24.  but will contact honda corp for some good clause asst... there has to be another fix for this ...its only 4yrs old  

ridemycdoo ridemycdoo
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/24/09
09:18 PM

2005 odyssey w navi there is no audio coming out of the head phones does any one know how to fix this problem ...dealership says the radio is bad and needs replaced and is not in warranty ....
everyone needs to please call honda corp to let them know of the problems they are having so they can make a recall on this.!! either they want to make some money on us that use these systems to keep our sanity w our kids and they can feed there pockets....While I don't believe they don't know about this issue, I wonder if people are calling the Honda America Corporate Customer Service like they should! CALL THEM PLEASE! 1-800-999-1009. Let your complaint be on record! They have a problem and they need to address it and have a recall!  

newbie22 newbie22
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/06/10
09:33 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck fixing the high pitch whine issue.  Seems that replacing the DVD subwire has helped some folks experiencing the "no sound" headphone issue.  Wasn't clear whether this fix worked for the high pitch whine as well.  

I agree with others here that we should all call to complain to Honda 800 number.  Clearly this is a known issue and should have been addressed by them proactively.  

bailey05 bailey05
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/01/10
02:08 PM

I have a 2003 pilot with the same noise problem -- a buzzing about 20 minutes into a car ride movie.  My kids were so startled when it first happened.  They call it "the duck thing" and so when it happens we have shut off the headphones, but you can actually hear it in the stereo also, but its not as dramatically loud.  Its been going on for about 4 or 5 years.  

Artjbrooks Artjbrooks
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/16/10
02:03 PM

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH MINE AND IT STARTED AFTER I TOOK MY VAN (2004 ODYSSEY EX) IN FOR A SMALL FENDER BENDER. IT WILL WORK FINE FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME THEN I GET THIS BUZZ IN THE HEADPHONES. I CAN'T PLUG IN TO THE BACK JACKS BECAUSE THE I GET THE SAME BUZZ. I'VE BEEN TOLD I'M OUT OF WARRANTY AND SCREWED!  I WOULD LIKE TO BUY ANOTHER HONDA, BUT THIS ISSUE HAS MADE ME A BIT SOUR WITH THEM AND I WILL BE LOOKING AT THE OTHER GUYS!  

Artjbrooks Artjbrooks
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/16/10
02:05 PM

BTW: I DID CALL THE 800# AND TOLD HONDA ABOUT IT!  

buildingvision buildingvision
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/30/10
08:14 PM

I just bought a used 2002 Odyssey and have discovered the headphone problems. I don't get any audio at all through the wireless or wired jacks. It is sounding like there is some type of cable that is the cause but it's not entirely clear to me what the solution is. Do we have any access to the service bulletins on the web?  

davidlockney davidlockney
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/22/11
10:01 AM

I have a 2005 Odyssey, and I experiencing the same problem.  I have it at the dealer now for 102K maintenance.  Of course, they can't replicate the problem.

I did call Honda America customer service and reported the problem.  They gave me a case # for whatever that is worth.  I guess it continues to get the problems documented.  We should all call and report it to build up the number of documented cases.  There is potential here for a class action law suit against Honda America to fix the problem.

I am going to recommend to the dealer to fix the problem the way the one gentleman did.  That is:

MODE - REF to RO 363280
Installed DVD sub-wire

Good luck all!  I'll try to remember to post results (if any!).  

cjwilde1 cjwilde1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/03/11
06:41 PM

We had the same problem with headphones cutting out after 30 minutes in our 2007 Odyssey.  The car was out of warranty, and the service guys did not think it could be fixed via goodwill, so I bought the digital audio cable for $46.  The parts dept printed out the TSB for me as well, which showed a book time of 0.7 hours for labor.  At my local dealer that meant about $80.

I chose to try to fix it myself, after getting a tip from one of the techs on how to remove one of the panels in the dash.  It took me about 3 hours, with help from my brother-in-law and his dad, to replace the cable and get everything back in place.  We've used the van twice since then, and the audio has worked for entire DVDs both times.  In retrospect, it would have been easier to have the dealership do the job, but it was satisfying to fix the problem without breaking off any plastic tabs or ending up with leftover parts.  

psu4ever psu4ever
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/26/11
02:37 AM

I am an electrical engineer and audio enthusiast who experienced the problem of inoperable rear headphones on my 2003 EX-L RES, affecting both wireless headphones and the wired headphone jacks in the rear seat.  I isolated the problem, locate the damaged integrated circuit (IC) in the head unit, and replaced the affected component, a dual-output 20W audio amplifier dedicated to the headphones.  My headphones work great again.  The repair is not for the faint-of-heart, but I would like to help others repair their vans without shelling out $1200 for a new unit.  Please review the description below to confirm that you have the same problem I did:
1. Honda Odyssey with factory-installed Honda rear entertainment system (RES) and Honda infrared headphones
2. No sound or only hissing/whining from both wireless headphones, regardless of source.  NOTE:  If you problem is only when a DVD is being played, you have a different problem with the cable between the DVD unit and the main head unit.
3. No sound or only hissing/whining from a pair of wired headphones plugged into any of the wired headphone jacks in the 3rd row.
4. The problem may occur intermittently, or after the system has been operated for 30 minutes or so.
5. You may have experienced smoke or a burning smell from the head unit at some point – note that I don’t remember this on my van, but on disassembly it was obvious that it gave off some smoke at some point.
If the above matches your problem, please contact me at psu4ever _at_ psualum _dot_ com and I’ll try to help.

Rob  

santana338 santana338
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 06/04/12
07:15 PM

I contacted Rob (psu4ever) and took him up on his offer to replace the suspect audio amplifier.  He did a fast and quality job.  I go the repaired board back, put it in the van, and voila, I now have working RES headphones again!  Thanks Rob!!  

Onlythisonce Onlythisonce
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/15/13
11:00 AM

03 odyssey with the intermittent buzzing on wireless and wired headphones. We live in the Midwest and it only happens on long winter trips when the heat is on. I'm sure it is the headphone IC (an7190nk) on a circuit board located at the bottom of the main unit. Its on the left side. Since the problem is intermittent I don't plan on replacing the part right now. I've modified the frame of the unit to allow for more air flow to see if that helps but I won't find out until the next big trip. I've found if I avoid using the CD player while the kids are watching a dvd and keep the heat down I can avoid the buzzing problem for longer but once the IC overheats its done until the unit is off and cooled down. I guess I"m lucky it hasn't burned out yet. I am partly posting this here as a reminder for myself as to what I've figured out. Don't tear your radio apart if you don't know what you are doing.  

First |  Prev |  3 |  4 |  5
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Honda Odyssey
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Minivan/Van
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com