1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Silverado shutting off

| 
Cidfergi Cidfergi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/13/06
12:23 AM

My dad has a 2003 3500 Silverado. recently, he has been having some problems with the truck shutting off at different times. occasionaly, it will shut off at stop lights, other times, while driving at speeds of 40 or more.  Recently, he had trouble getting it going after it sat for a few hours. When it shuts off, he is able to crank it again after a few seconds or attempts. He hasn't had to jump the vehicle off and it just drives off when he gets going.  He took it to a Chevy dealer service garage, and they were unable to discover what the problem is.  He also left the truck at another shop for ten days with no result.  I kind of feel like the problem may be with the fuel pump or filter. But, I would have thought one of two garages could have figured that out. He states that he feels like the truck isn't getting gas. I believe he hasn't had a problem with the truck when it is full of gas. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of where he can get some help with this, because the vehicle just isn't safe if it could shut off while driving down the road. Thanks for the help.  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 07/13/06
10:22 AM

im with you It sounds like it could be a fuel pump/ relay / wiring problem but would think that a shop would pick that up, especially Chevy Dealer.  

chevylover chevylover
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/19/06
03:18 AM

I have a 2001 2500 and it is doing the same thing. It happens with a full tank also. We replaced the fuel pump and filter and it is still doing it. Anyone else have suggestions?  

sea pro sea pro
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/21/06
05:12 AM

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra , Same thing...... we have put TWO new fuel pumps in it and it will still shut off going down the road.  If anyone has had this issue and acctually resolved it I would be happy to hear how!  

geneg geneg
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/24/06
11:51 PM

My truck shuts off as does all of yours and restarts again in less that one minute if left alone.  I just shut it off  and wait 45 seconds or so then it starts right up and away I go.  if I don't wait, it cranks like hell but no start!  well, I can tell you all to not waste your money on an ignition switch!  didn't help my 2002 2500HD 8.1 as the dealer suspected.  I am also getting a P1779 DTC that translates to "Torque applied to PCM signal".  Love this one!  what the hell does that mean!?  If anyone has any ideas please post them here.  

02 2500HD 02 2500HD
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/28/06
12:53 AM

Crank sensor My 02 8.1 liter same thing changed the crank sensor BINGO!I suspect we all have 8.1s. It seems to be an 8.1 problem. Nearly a recall, but not yet.  

simpson4grapes simpson4grapes
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/23/07
09:29 PM

I had a similar problem with a 2002 Suburban K2500 with the 8.1 liter motor.  The engine would die without warning at various speeds and loads. It felt electrcal - no sputter - just died like you turned off the ignition switch.  The engine always re-started after coasting to a stop, putting the transmission in neutral or park and cranking several seconds.  No big deal on a straight country road but it scared the hell out of my wife when it died in one of the busiest intersections in town.
After reading a lot of posts I decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor.  The Delco part cost about $50 at Autozone.  Getting it out proved to be the hard part.  It is located on the left rear of the block near the transmission.  It's a tight fit between the fire wall and the exhaust manifold.  Best of all, the OEM part has an extra O-ring that froze in the hole and made it next to impossible to remove.  If I had it to do over, I would let the shop deal with it.  No more problems after 2 months and 2000 miles.  

Antholt Antholt
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/09/07
09:11 PM

I am having the same problem silverado 8.1 just shuts off. Finally threw engine codes for crank sensor, and 3 more trans. codes has anybody had this happen I hope they are related.  

Antholt Antholt
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/09/07
09:24 PM

same problem with my truck 02 8.1 silverado dealer wanted to change fuel pump and filter I told them they were stupid truck runs great just shuts off. after about 3 months of this happening it finally threw a service code it threw 4. 3 transmission codes 1 crank position sensor. I am going to change crank sensor and see what happens. Has anybody else had these codes. trans. seems to be fine shifts normal temps are normal.  

gebly gebly
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/27/07
05:06 PM

I inherited my Dads 2001 chevy 2500hd 6.0l has run great accept it just shut of on the interstate one day.  Sound familiar.  After pulled over put in park started right up no problems.  After having check engine oil level light come I checked the oil and it seemed really low.  Odd part is I never had this problem with any of the other 2 gmc pickups I had with comparable engines. So I took it to a GM dealer for service and was told this was common for the HD Engine to burn oil "never heard of this before unless there was a problem with the engine" so they changed the oil put and put the standard 5 courts.  Upon getting in the truck immediatly after the oil change I noticed the service engin soon light was on.  So thinking they didnt reset the computer I went back into the service department where they offered to charge me $75.00 to run a diagnostic check.  This smelled like a rotten fish because they did not seem to worried about the problem.  Upon doing some reseach the owners manual advises the 6.0l vortec 6600 takes 6 quarts of oil 5 1/2 to be on the safe side.  No wonder the check engine oil level light comes on.  I change my own engine oil now because I don't trust the dealers.  I had a chance to have a diagnostic done for free at advance autoparts and found out the code is for the crankshaft position sensor.  After doing some more research and reading your posts I am pretty confident this will solve my problem.  I can't honestly say that this is not a normal occurence with GM Vehicles.  After years of owning nothing but GM and all the problems that came with it my wife and I bought 2 toyota cars for fuel economy.  Only had 2 embarassing problems one when I ran the toyota matrix out of gas the other when I had an accident and totaled the car.  The other toyota is a prius with 54k and still running like new.  Wish I could say the same for GM.  

hambone_in_sc hambone_in_sc
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/10/08
11:00 PM

Same deal. My dad had a 2001 2500HD with V8.1. It was shutting off at various times. At times, it was every few months then every few days. He took it to the dealership twice and they couldn't find anything. This went on for almost a year. He finally had a friend of a friend who runs an independent shop keep it for a whole month. They drove it to get parts, etc. and they say it never shut off once. Well, pop died and I had to find a way to fix it so I could sell it. I brought it home and it would shut of once or twice on each outing. Well, long story short, I found this blog and took the truck to my local dealer. I told them to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor. They gave me some resistance saying they needed a diagnostic. I also found information at: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Silverado/2001/investigations.shtml. Anyway, I told the dealership I'd eat the cost if it didn't work. They changed the sensor (about $350 total) and the truck has been running great for 2 months. I've decided to keep the truck. Thanks to the contributors here for the solution to a troubling and seemingly mysterious situation.  

TennisGuyFL TennisGuyFL
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/23/08
05:23 PM

Exact same thing happened with my wife's truck.  It's a 2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab with the 8.1L.

The first time was the first part of April.  She was stopped at a light and the engine just stopped.  She tried to re-start but it just tapped like she had a dead battery.  She tried it again a few minutes later, and it re-started.

I took it to the Chevy dealership the next day.  They said they couldn't find anything wrong, but they did tighten the battery cables.  Wow!

It went a week with no problems.  Then she was driving home and was going about 35mph and it just stopped.  She said the battery light came on and it just stopped.  It re-started after a few minutes.

I took it back the next day, and the Dealership said they drove it several times with no problem.

Two days later it quit on her again.  After a 3rd trip to the dealership, the service manager called me and said he thought it might be the Crankshaft Sensor.  They changed it, and we haven't had a bit of problem in about a week.  Total bill was $326.17.

Was this ever a recall issue?  If it was, I don't remember being notified.  If it was, I guess there is no recourse now for us to get our money back, right?  

hindlyn hindlyn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/10/08
06:24 AM

I have a 2001 8.1 Chevy 2500HD and have the same problem.  I have noticed that when it shuts down, if you pull the key and wait a few seconds, it will strat right away most of the time.  The problem is in the crank sensor.  Most garages are unable to locate the problem due to vehicle working properly when hooked up to monitor.  If you do take it into a garage, have them hook it up, turn the key quickly on then off, this will trigger the faulty sensor and they will be able to diagnois the problem.  It was frustrating when this happened, but its an easy fix  

sjdowlen sjdowlen
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/12/08
03:28 PM

My 2001 8.1 L Silverado HD was subject to a safety recall on the crank sensor.  After I had the recall taken care of at the dealership, I got a "check engine" light and codes P0700 (transmission control system) and P1779 (torque applied to PCM signal[crank sensor]).  Now I guess it has to go back to the dealer, since they may have installed a defective sensor in a perfectly good truck!  

savanna_owner savanna_owner
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/31/08
09:47 PM

I am a 2002 GMC Savanna 3500 owner with a 8.1L engine. The car was built in August 2001 and we have experience the same problems that were listed in this thread for over a year -- the van would just stall (sometimes at 5-10 mph, many times at 40 mph, and once at 60 mph). Sometimes the van would be hard to start. All very, very intermittent (3-4 times per month). I had taken it in 3 times to 2 different mechanics. No one could find anything wrong. This thread was very helpful in researching the issues with the 8.1L engine. The 8.1L-based Silverados were recalled in late 2007 -- but alas not the GMC's even though the same engine is used. I brought the van into the dealership and they performed the recall work on the crankshaft position sensor. The van runs beautifully now. I appreciate everyone who posted as this sensor issue is incredibly frustrating (and a decidedly poor piece of engineering by GM). My disdain for GM has grown substantially since they limited the recalls to certain models and not just any vehicle with the 8.1L engine.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com