1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

how is the sti different?

| 
5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 139 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/11/06
03:05 AM

sti - how is this different from the non sti versions? Specifically (not just "better" or something)

and how does that affect purchasing $$$  

AutomotiveJC AutomotiveJC
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 05/06
03:06 AM

sti as the Suburu WRX STi??  

5569 5569
03:58 AM

yeah sorry  

DjGiant DjGiant
Enthusiast | Posts: 322 | Joined: 06/06
04:01 AM

From wikipedia...

"In the late 1980's, Subaru created the Subaru Tecnica International (STI) division to coordinate development for the FIA World Rally Championship and other motorsports activities. After the company had grown, the division was used to create high-performance consumer versions of the Subaru Impreza WRX, a 4WD sportscar with a turbocharged flat-4 engine, leading to the development of the Impreza WRX STi. Subaru has used a race-prepared version of the WRX STI as its rally platform since the model trim's creation."  

04:17 AM

A bigger turbo, racier suspension, brembo brakes, and bodykit designed by STi  

automotivedp automotivedp
Enthusiast | Posts: 484 | Joined: 06/06
05:29 AM

-2.5 liter motor (wrx is 2.0)*excluding '06s*
-ball bearing turbo (ihi - vf39) making 2 more pounds of boost than wrx
-bigger intercooler
-6 speed
-2 catalytic converters in the Downpipe (wrx has 3 - one in up pipe)
-brembo brakes, bbs wheels, greeaat tires
-adjustable center differential, better suspension
-no body differences (not a body kit) except for front lip splitters, larger hood scoop to accomodate larger intercooler, and monster rear wing.
-sti seats/interior
-intercooler water mister
-HID headlights (w/ adjustable aim)
-about 60-70 more HP
-10 grand more

BUT

with basic bolt ons a wrx can be faster.  you just wont have the adjustable diff and other details.  most tuners change everything anyway, including brakes and suspension, so it really doesnt matter.  the STi just comes faster from the factory. my wrx still has the stock turbo and make about 5-10 less hp than an STi.  if i put on the stock STi turbo or anything bigger with my current mods, it will make about 10-20 more

hope this helps  

Crisis62485 Crisis62485
User | Posts: 144 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 07/13/06
02:12 AM

is it more worth it to get a WRX and tune it with the spare money you get or get an STi?  

02:53 AM

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:
-2.5 liter motor (wrx is 2.0)*excluding '06s*
-ball bearing turbo (ihi - vf39) making 2 more pounds of boost than wrx
-bigger intercooler
-6 speed
-2 catalytic converters in the Downpipe (wrx has 3 - one in up pipe)
-brembo brakes, bbs wheels, greeaat tires
-adjustable center differential, better suspension
-no body differences (not a body kit) except for front lip splitters, larger hood scoop to accomodate larger intercooler, and monster rear wing.
-sti seats/interior
-intercooler water mister
-HID headlights (w/ adjustable aim)
-about 60-70 more HP
-10 grand more

BUT

with basic bolt ons a wrx can be faster.  you just wont have the adjustable diff and other details.  most tuners change everything anyway, including brakes and suspension, so it really doesnt matter.  the STi just comes faster from the factory. my wrx still has the stock turbo and make about 5-10 less hp than an STi.  if i put on the stock STi turbo or anything bigger with my current mods, it will make about 10-20 more

hope this helps

Thanks for the detailed list, I definitely learned something about the STis.  

5569 5569
02:56 AM

how much are you boosting right now DP?  

automotivedp automotivedp
Enthusiast | Posts: 484 | Joined: 06/06
04:16 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

1.3 bar (about 19 psi)

as for the whole which is a better buy thing- i havent spent close to as much money as i would have if i bought a stock STi.  but this is because i have lots of ties to the tuner industry. i have not payed anything above cost for any parts (most were well below cost).  I'll try and do the math -

(*rough estimates*)
brand new WRX - $24,000.
mods needed to be as fast as STi
full turboback exhaust - $800
bigger intercooler - $900-1000
injectors/fuel pump - $500
Engine management - $500-$1000 (depending on the shop, keep in mind you get what you pay for in terms of tuning)

--right about now, the stock turbo will be maxxed out, but after the tune, you should be close to 250whp (stock STi makes the exact same wheel horsepower)

for around $500 (give or take a coupe hundred for new/used, size, brand, etc) you can get a bigger turbo and make anywhere from 280 wheel hp to 330 wheel horsepower (keeping in mind the STi makes about 250 wheel horsepower)

total= roughly $28,000
stock STi= $34,000 ***plus triple the insurance cost***

but even though you may technically be saving around 4 grand (average), you still dont have the adjustable differential, 6 speed transmission, HID, basically all the STi stuff.  you'll have the power, but not the drivetrain.

and by the way, the WRX drivetrain sometimes breaks with more than 300 wheel horse power. people making big power in their wrx usually beef up their tranny

----

i bought the car brand new for 23,000 and i have not spent more than 1000 dollars total for all my mods and im currently making 245 wheel horsepower, still with the stock turbo, stock intercooler, and stock fuel management.  like everything else in life, its all about who you know  

04:59 AM

Don't forget the Brembo brakes and the BBS wheels on the STi!! They are very $$$ too!  

TheSubaruNut TheSubaruNut
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/16/06
05:00 AM

The STI is a 'beefed' up version of the stock WRX. I sold Subies in 2003 when the STI was first introduced for MY 2004. Subaru sent us to Phoenix, AZ to the Firebird Raceway to experience and learn about them. What an experience! We got to drive them on the track and saw the internals that make up the STI. WOW, is all I can say! First, we all got to drive them around the track as fast as we dared. They stuck to the pavement like glue! What a kick, throw it into a high speed turn in 3rd gear, get it sliding, floor it and feel all those 4 wheels grasping for firm grip! Makes goose bumps run up and down your spine! Later, a professional rally driver took us for a ride at full out racing speed. Incredible is an undertatement! All I can say is that the STI version is just plain AWESOME and not your standard WRX version. But to respond to your inquiry, Subaru had to modify a lot of things to build this car. The engine block was reinforced & internals were all upgraded and made much stronger to handle the increased power. The body, brakes and chassis were all beefed up and enhanced to handle the increased power and G forces that would be placed on the cars. The result is high powered go-cart on steriods, with a roof and windshield added! This is NOT your 'Sunday go to Meetin' vehicle. It's stiff riding, very responsive, extremely powerful and in my book, specifically built for the racing. If I were into racing, this would be my choice vehicle to start with. On the other hand, the standard WRX is much more suited for everyday city/hwy driving. Not that it's a slouch in anyway, but it's more friendly for streets and highway driving. Unless you take an STI to the track, you will never be able to exercise one of these cars to their full potential. It's far to much car for everyday street use! Compare it to owning a through bred race horse and running it on a 1/2 mile race track. For me, that sums it up best!  

DjGiant DjGiant
Enthusiast | Posts: 322 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 07/17/06
03:24 AM

Wow somebody sure does love thier subarus  

vnasty86 vnasty86
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/25/07
10:20 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:
1.3 bar (about 19 psi)

as for the whole which is a better buy thing- i havent spent close to as much money as i would have if i bought a stock STi.  but this is because i have lots of ties to the tuner industry. i have not payed anything above cost for any parts (most were well below cost).  I'll try and do the math -

(*rough estimates*)
brand new WRX - $24,000.
mods needed to be as fast as STi
full turboback exhaust - $800
bigger intercooler - $900-1000
injectors/fuel pump - $500
Engine management - $500-$1000 (depending on the shop, keep in mind you get what you pay for in terms of tuning)

--right about now, the stock turbo will be maxxed out, but after the tune, you should be close to 250whp (stock STi makes the exact same wheel horsepower)

for around $500 (give or take a coupe hundred for new/used, size, brand, etc) you can get a bigger turbo and make anywhere from 280 wheel hp to 330 wheel horsepower (keeping in mind the STi makes about 250 wheel horsepower)

total= roughly $28,000
stock STi= $34,000 ***plus triple the insurance cost***

but even though you may technically be saving around 4 grand (average), you still dont have the adjustable differential, 6 speed transmission, HID, basically all the STi stuff.  you'll have the power, but not the drivetrain.

and by the way, the WRX drivetrain sometimes breaks with more than 300 wheel horse power. people making big power in their wrx usually beef up their tranny

----

i bought the car brand new for 23,000 and i have not spent more than 1000 dollars total for all my mods and im currently making 245 wheel horsepower, still with the stock turbo, stock intercooler, and stock fuel management.  like everything else in life, its all about who you know

I had a stage II 05 wrx and just went to a 07 sti and my insurance went down 400 dollars. No change in my driving record they said sti had a better safty rating. Grin  

Sti is a way better car.

wrx trans sux. My 4th gear syncros went after only 2k.(dealer replaced it no charge) Annoyingly it was dfficult to get it into reverse when you first start the car. I would have to put it in 1st then into reverse. And "beefing" up your transmission isnt cheap. Sti tranny is much smoother.

interior is alot nicer(sexy gauges, etc..)

suspencion is way better/tighter.

more power, less lag

If your finacing, sti isn't that much more(whats a couple more bucks you'll be much happier)  

bunky bunky
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/05/07
04:42 PM

evry one seems to forget that the wrx is cheaper but if you factor in the FACT that you will waste the warranty on the wrx when you modd it up to the HP of the STi. You dont get the Value of the STI the, seats the weight, light weight wheels hood roof trunk, brakes durability gear ratios tranny headlights you really just get a fast car but not the exclusivity or resale value of an STi. There are many cars that are faster than the subi's with the STi its more about the whole package. Its about the goodies in the car as much as it is the beast that it is. PLUS A WARRANTY.
My Recently deceased STi ran 13.032 @103 mph totally stock on pump gas on a 50 degree december night. with my warranty I beat a hopped up Z28SS. without his warranty  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Subaru Impreza
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan, Wagon
Rating:
Excellent Excellent

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com