Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts   

2 stroke or 4 stroke

| 
Bakemono Bakemono
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/21/07
10:00 PM

2-stroke all the way.  4-strokes are too expensive to maintain and rebuild.  You can rebuild a 2-stroke for a fraction of what it costs to rebuild a 4-stroke and modern 4-strokes arent any more dependable than a 2-stroke is.
The only reason why MX is dominated by 4-strokes right now is because the AMA has given the 4-strokes such an advantage that in pro racing you are pretty much forced into riding a 4-stroke if you want to win.
The rise of 4-strokes in recent years has little to do with emissions, its all with how the AMA has the rules setup to favor 4-strokes.  4-stroke MX bikes dont have very clean emissions and most of them you cant legally trail ride anymore, so the emissions arguement is a moot point.  

bobos bobos
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/26/09
10:16 PM

Well let me see, I own both. I have a 06 RMZ-450 and a 94 KX-125. I must say that I do love my RMZ. TORK BABY, TORK, but the kx is a blast to ride... I have gone against 250 2 strokes with my 450 and the out come was, they were eating my dust. I'm not saying that the 250 2 strokes are bad. I did own a RM250 not to long ago and I loved that bike to. It held its own on the race course and you can't beat the power band. Now, about the good old $$$ between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke.

On the 2 stroke you can put a big bore kit in, a high performance reed valve, FMF Fatty exhaust( or any other aftermarket exhaust), different sprocket sizes front and back with a high grade chain, install aftermarket suspension( such as pro circuit, pro action, ect..ect), you also have the option of pimping out your carb with a jetting kit and replacing the factory cdi with a high performance cdi box, and all the aftermarket stuff to make it your bike. This alone can cost a person a small fortune. Now on top of all that you have the cost of general maint. Such as...tires, spark plug, oil and filter, air filter, bearings...ect..ect. O yah don't forget the oil for your gas. Here in Canada the price of gas is $0.90 to a $1.30 a L. Now add your oil to the mix, Well that $0.90 turns into $1.10 a L that $1.30 just turned into $1.50 a L  Shocked !!!!.

On the 4 strokes the same concept applies as of above EXCEPT for the oil for the gas. You can also add hot cam, titanium valves, accelerator pump cover, and there is a little more tweaks you can buy for the carb too. Don't forget that the new four strokes also now have fuel injection. So there is bunch of goodies for that to.

Price well there isn't really that much of a difference between the 2 stroke and the four stroke. Yes, I know some of you beg to differ. Yes, you do have to maintain those valves on the four but if you don't mix your gas right on the two you will be buying a complete top end for your bike in no time flat. Also remember if you are a serious ride the fuel consumption of a 2 stroke is a higher then the four. So if you add the oil and gas to the mix of the price of owning a 2 stroke VS a 4 stroke. Well, I will let you be the judge on that one.  

NOW about the fixing...It is a known fact that 2 strokes are definitely easier to fix, But if you have the know how and the guts. A four stroke is not that much harder to fix. All you basically need is a good manual, tools, mechanical instincts, and patients. Worse comes to worse, maybe a forum or a person( mechanic who knows bikes) to help you with those major problems that may rise up and kick you in the butt  Wink ...

By me saying all that I would also like to pass on what a old time racer told me once. " It's not the bike that makes a good rider, It's the person who is behind the bars that makes that bike better"  

So what do I like, Four or a two stroke? I have to say I do like the four stroke better (that’s my personal preference), because it fits my riding habits and style. But also to me every bike out there including old ones, new ones, 2 strokes, or 4 strokes. There all good, as long as you are out there riding.

Ride safe
Ride hard
Have fun
Get dirty Grin  

ramyap ramyap
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/25/11
04:58 PM

Hmm Interesting  

azfropup azfropup
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/17
Posted: 07/20/17
12:29 PM

Probably a better idea to post something like this in the general section rather than here. Less flame wars.  

Just Try It1 Just Try It1
Moderator | Posts: 2796 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 07/20/17
08:40 PM

nobody has posted on this since 2011.  

Prev |  1 |  2
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: