10:59 AM

Which do you prefer and why?  

vwhobo vwhobo
User | Posts: 126 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/11/06
06:16 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Okay, I'll play your silly game.  Which do I prefer for what?  

automotivedp automotivedp
Enthusiast | Posts: 483 | Joined: 06/06
06:30 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Icon Quotevwhobo:

see the title... i always liked the punch of 2 strokes  

vwhobo vwhobo
06:44 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Icon Quotevwhobo:

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:

Based on your response, I'll a-ssume you don't have much experience with different types of dirt bikes or a lot of experience with different types of riding.  They both have pros and cons depending upon what your specific application is.  That being said, in recent years 4-strokes have closed the gap due to the fact that their technology has been accelerated and 2-stroke technology had slowed, generally speaking.

So...  My question stands.  Which do I prefer for what?  

aquabat911 aquabat911
Enthusiast | Posts: 706 | Joined: 04/06
07:00 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Icon Quotevwhobo:

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:

Icon Quotevwhobo:
Based on your response, I'll a-ssume you don't have much experience with different types of dirt bikes or a lot of experience with different types of riding.  They both have pros and cons depending upon what your specific application is.  That being said, in recent years 4-strokes have closed the gap due to the fact that their technology has been accelerated and 2-stroke technology had slowed, generally speaking.

I think it is just in general. If someone asked you if you prefer chocolate or strawberry ice cream would you need to know if if you were going to eat it with a plastic or metal spoon?  

vwhobo vwhobo
07:03 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:

Icon Quotevwhobo:

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:

Icon Quotevwhobo:

Icon Quoteaquabat911:
I think it is just in general. If someone asked you if you prefer chocolate or strawberry ice cream would you need to know if if you were going to eat it with a plastic or metal spoon?

Which again displays a total lack of understanding of different riding styles and engine characteristics.  Your analogy is apples and oranges (no, not the county).  What a surprise.  BTW, I prefer chocolate.  

07:04 AM

i answered the question that was posted, rather than be a wise guy, i wasnt trying claim that i'm an expert  

vwhobo vwhobo
07:12 AM

Icon Quoteautomotivedp:
i answered the question that was posted, rather than be a wise guy, i wasnt trying claim that i'm an expert

And if you want to say that you prefer 2-strokes, that fine.  That's your opinion and I won't challenge it.  I do too under certain circumstances.  But keep in mind that you're the one who made it a point to tell me to look at the title even though that still doesn't clarify his question.  

07:15 AM

i see what you mean about how the question could refer to different types of riding. for that i have no clue  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 139 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/17/06
09:11 AM

since this is the DIRT BIKE section, what you do prefer for DIRT BIKING, whatever type of riding you ***
They both have pros and cons but skill is skill nomatter what you're riding.
And you see 2 and 4 strokes in the same race and the same group alllll the time, so there's not a right and wrong, that's why I was asking.
So vwhobo what do you ride? what kind of dirt bike? year/make/model, and are you happy with it.  

vwhobo vwhobo
09:38 AM

Icon QuoteAuto-Mo:
since this is the DIRT BIKE section, what you do prefer for DIRT BIKING, whatever type of riding you ***
They both have pros and cons but skill is skill nomatter what you're riding.
And you see 2 and 4 strokes in the same race and the same group alllll the time, so there's not a right and wrong, that's why I was asking.
So vwhobo what do you ride? what kind of dirt bike? year/make/model, and are you happy with it.

Because I'm old, injured and not near as fast as I used to think I was, my long term ride is an '82 CR480.  Why?  Because it's the same bike I almost got killed racing on in the 1986 Adelanto Gran Prix.  Because I can ride it in local vintage races against other old guys who have machinery that is neither new or especially fast and we can drink beer afterwards and not really care who won.

Let's face it, nobody really needs that much power.  Back in the early '80's Honda did some testing with Rick Johnson who at the time was arguably the best MX racer around at the time.  They put him on a then new '84 CR500 and let him loose on Carlsbad Raceway.  Even at his extremely high level of competence, he went WOT for less than 6% of the lap.  Too much power.  He was, as most people were, faster on a 250.

I'm in no way comparing myself to RK.  I just ride the bike because I like it.  It's too big for enduro and the power hits too hard for most riding situations.  I'm honestly faster on my son's '04 CRF 450R on an MX track although I'll never admit it to him, but...  I just gotta have the old 480.  It's the bike I almost died on once and probably will eventually again.

Today as I said earlier, the gap between 2-strokes and 4-strokes has closed considerably.  The diesels are up on power and down on weight.  The strokers are not getting as many engineering dollars, in part because of always looming emissions standards.  So, it's still impossible to give you a direct answer.  There are far too many variables.  For some types of dirt riding a small 4-stroke is perfect where for other a big 2-stroke is the only way to go.  I don't prefer either but I love them both.  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 139 | Joined: 06/07
10:58 AM

hey thanks vwhobo that's cool.  

Gpyo05 Gpyo05
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/06/06
01:16 AM

def a 2 stroke, there is nothing like the sound of a 2-stroke.......4 strokes sound too much like 4 wheelers, when u hear a 2-stroke, u know whats coming.......check out my bike at www.sleekteke.com its MIKORIFIC  

glendor glendor
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/18/07
12:40 AM

4 stroke.

I cut my own trails so I need low rpm's and high torque.

An enduro type bike with a lower first gear ratio is what I prefer,I just change the tires and knock off the lights(except the headlight,adding headlights is a good idea)

The 4 stroke air cooled low rpm torque'y motor has been the most dependable for me.I would never consider an extra plug,my tool kit is mainly for drivetrain repair.I don't worry about punctured/failed rads or fouled plugs.

Other important features are light weight and brush guards.

Heres the scoop,my friends buzz around me with their wing-ding-ding 2 strokes making fun of my bike,untill they break down...then I get to chase tools for them.also having 3 of us pull their junk out of the mud is a drag,when I can useualy walk mine out by myself.(or drag it out myself)

The "game" follow the leader...forget it(unless i'm on a logging road)what a grumbling bunch of wimps,overheating and fouled plugs is a given along with "help us get this bike out".

ABOUT MY SUPER DIRT BIKE:50$usd 1983 suzuki dr125 with very aggressive maximum size dirt tires.

MY LAST BIKE:it425 yamaha,what a beast for me,I couldn't handle it by no means,if it broke down I had to walk,stuck in mud...get help,run out of gas...it would first throw me off "and" make me walk.(only good thing,it would traverse deeper water.

AFTERTHOUGHT:it took 20 years more or less for me to figure out what works for me,and a lot of grief,what would be the point of looking at another bike when this one will probably last the rest of my life?  

jeff781 jeff781
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/16/07
05:55 PM

2 stroke, you get more of a pop when you change gears  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: