Xml
Item Posts   

1999 Ford Explorer engine noise

| 
79F100 79F100
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/20/06
05:16 AM

I have a 99 Explorer with about 70,000 miles (4.0 V6)

Occasionally while idling, a rather loud humming sound can be heard from the engine compoartment. The sound goes away if you tap the gas or while driving...but as soon as the rpms come back down to idle, the sound comes back. Has anyone ever heard of this? Strangely enough, I was walking thru a mall parking lot the other day and heard the same sound. I looked in the direction of the noise and saw 2 guys sitting in a late 90ish Ranger with the engine running. Is this a Ford V6 thing?  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/21/06
08:36 AM

thats weird, i have never heard of this but fords are also not "my bag" some one else would know better than I would.   does this noise happen all the time, is it constant, or does it only happen in certian circumstances, like when your a/c is on, or when you first start the car etc.etc.  

Gary_602Z Gary_602Z
Enthusiast | Posts: 423 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/22/06
12:11 PM

Exhaust vibration?

Gary  

westtexus westtexus
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/26/06
09:24 AM

I have a 2000 Explorer. It made a metallic sound at times, sometimes at idle, sometimes when just getting rolling. It was a metal heat sheild for the exhaust pipe that had the clamps broken. It would only vibrate at certian rpm's. Might not be your problem, but just thought I would mention it.  

1999rangerguy 1999rangerguy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/27/06
08:24 AM

I have a 1999 Ranger 4X4  and its doing the same thing,  its driving me crazy .... mine only will do it when its warm outside and at an idle.
it seems to be comming from the TPI body ( I think )
anyone have any ideas ????  

1999rangerguy 1999rangerguy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 07/05/06
09:25 AM

It's your idle control unit. Looks about the size of a film canister and silver colored. It's mounted with two screws and has one wire plug. You can take it off and clean it with carb cleaner. You can also use a brush on it. Be careful there's a gasket in there and don't spray any of the carb cleaner on the electrical end! If it still hums you can get a new one for sixty dollars or so.

I had the same problem on my 1999 Ranger, I got help from a guy on another forum ( Rangerboy )  it fixed my problem
it should fix yours.  

banana boy banana boy
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 07/05/06
09:41 AM

Icon Quote79F100:
I have a 99 Explorer with about 70,000 miles (4.0 V6)

Occasionally while idling, a rather loud humming sound can be heard from the engine compoartment. The sound goes away if you tap the gas or while driving...but as soon as the rpms come back down to idle, the sound comes back. Has anyone ever heard of this? Strangely enough, I was walking thru a mall parking lot the other day and heard the same sound. I looked in the direction of the noise and saw 2 guys sitting in a late 90ish Ranger with the engine running. Is this a Ford V6 thing?

Probably. Trade it in form something reliable like a Pilot and you wont be throwing good money away for junk.  

S10slayer S10slayer
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/06/06
01:45 AM

haha ya same thing here happend to me well still is happening and then i added my K&N and bbk throttle body and it got louder haha mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Ford Explorer
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com