Xml
Item Posts   

1996 Ford Contour brake lights

| 
pads77 pads77
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/19/06
11:07 PM

I have a 96 Ford Contour GL.  The middle brake light comes on when the pedal is applied, but the two side lights don't.  They running lights come on when the headlights turn on.  I have checked the fuse, and have tried replacing the multi-function switch, the headlight switch, the brakeswitch activator under the pedal, and the connection coming out of the back of the headlight switch, and none of it has worked.  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/20/06
03:27 AM

Your car might use dual filament light bulbs, meaning that there are two fillaments on  one one bulb, one for the light and one for the brake light.  it might be possible that both bulbs have burnt out.  I have had three burn out all around the same time.  

pads77 pads77
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/06
04:10 AM

I tried replacing the bulbs with ones from Autozone.  Visually, you can see two filaments, but do you need a more specialized bulb from the dealer?  

Dan the Ford man Dan the Ford man
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 06/06
01:08 PM

You say you don't have any brake or turn signals?.
High mount light works? You changed the turn signal switch? You changed the rear bulbs? Right ones?
The high mount light uses the same fuse as the brake lights, but has a seperate wire loom.
There is only one connector that is in common with both right and left brake/turn signal bulbs after the Turn signal switch. that is C289 (black 10 pin connector) down by the left side of the steering column, down by the kick panel.
Now You have to get a test light .
Start at either rear bulb. Using the test light, with the key on, turn the turn signal on for the side in which you removed the blub from. Next ground the test light and touch the prob to the bulb socket at the turn/stop wire (Blue/white wire left side) (Blue/black wire right side).
Now the bulb should flash. If not then try the other side. If neither flash go the the C289 connector and see if light flashes at the wire there. If not then you have a turn signal problem.
If it does then you have to check the wiring go to the back.
Hope this helps.  

Dan the Ford man Dan the Ford man
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 06/06
01:09 PM

BE SURE TO CHECK THE BULB SOCKETS FIRST>  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 06/21/06
08:57 AM

were the autozone bulbs dual filament bulbs?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com