Xml
Item Posts   

Airless Tires

| 
honsano honsano
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/13/06
06:38 AM

I remember back in the day when Michellin's Tweel was big news. I found it very interesting, but have yet to hear anything really since then. Funny that this idea hit me as I was changing my own flat....wait that wasn't very funy for me. Anyone know what's going on with the airless tire industry? Like where can I find more information on the subject? I got to admit that after today I kind of want some for my car but I think they are ways away from coming out with commercial tires for the general public. I dunno anyone got anything?  

aquabat911 aquabat911
Enthusiast | Posts: 708 | Joined: 04/06
07:54 AM

I thought there was a thread going around about this a month or so ago, but I can't find it anywhere. A few of the points I made were:

Extremely expensive at first, economy of scale etc.

I can't imagine the amount of testing they would have to do to get D.O.T. approval. Also very expensive

Seems to require large sidewalls, which apart from the aesthetic aspect, either requires enormous wheel wells or small rim diameter which really limits brake size.

They would almost certainly have to introduce them as standard equipment on production cars first, so some company would have to be willing to take the jump. I don't think they would be that succesful at selling them as aftermarket equipment becasue the consumer would have to buy new tires and wheels at the same time. Are you going to spend 5k on something that may or may not need fixing? Hey, they are reinventing the wheel here.

I think right now they are more worried about improving run-flat tires than doing something new.  

AutomotiveJC AutomotiveJC
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 05/06
08:41 AM

Sounds like the airless tires will be a lot heavier...  

Burtreyn0lds Burtreyn0lds
Enthusiast | Posts: 538 | Joined: 06/06
09:45 AM

i remember hearing about it also but i have no clue what ever happened to the whole idea  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com