Xml
Item Posts   

GAS MILEAGE

| 
5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 139 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/07/06
02:58 AM

Hmmmmm this is interesting.  If you don't keep track of your mileage, try it!
Last tank on my 4 banger s-10 was 22.7... seems low doesn't it?  I'm going to keep track and try to improve that.  Trying to drive up a gear, neutral when possible.... don't have AC but am engine-driven for air ride suspension, wonder if that makes a difference???  Alignment is horribe and I always have windows down.  Probably pretty weighed down with stereo and suspension, hmmm.
What numbers are you guys getting on other vehicles?

MPGplus.com says......

"Welcome to

12 proven ways to improve your gas mileage

Keep your engine tuned up. Incorrect fuel ratio, bad spark plugs and incorrect spark timing can have a big effect on gas mileage.  

Don't use your air conditioner (A/C) unless you really need it. The A/C compressor puts an extra strain on the engine.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Under inflated tires cause more resistance to travel.

Avoid stop and go traffic by taking alternative routes or less congested travel times.

Ask other people with the same type of car what kind of gas mileage they get, it may alert you to a problem with your car.

Use a good engine oil, preferably a synthetic or standard oil treated with a friction reducing oil additive. These have been known to improve fuel economy by as much as 12%.

Reduce the weight in your vehicle as much as possible. (Good excuse to get the mother-in-law out of the car....)

Use your cruise control whenever possible.

Keeping your highway speed at 55 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%, compared to 75 mph. (Yeah, I know--this one's tough for us too)

Avoid trying to increase speed while climbing a hill, your engine is already working hard trying to overcome gravity.

Keep your windows closed when possible. Open windows actually reduce gas mileage compared to using the A/C.

Remove accessories, such as luggage rack, etc. that lower the aerodynamics of your vehicle."  

joela joela
Guru | Posts: 1514 | Joined: 03/06
03:30 AM

I'd add "get a bed cover" for truck owners.  

AutomotiveJC AutomotiveJC
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 05/06
04:37 AM

Thanks, that is a great list!  

aquabat911 aquabat911
Enthusiast | Posts: 708 | Joined: 04/06
04:40 AM

In combined use I get about 27-28 in the beetle and thats with a roof rack. I like the suggestion to avoid traffic, the person that wrote that obviously doesn't live in Southern California.  

banana boy banana boy
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
04:54 AM

don[t by a suv LOL  

h3nry h3nry
Enthusiast | Posts: 441 | Joined: 04/06
04:56 AM

drive 55 on the highway...thats how you get shot by random road rage drivers.  i dunno i think i'd rather lose some gas mileage than have someone shoot at me...but thats just me =)  

aquabat911 aquabat911
05:00 AM

Icon Quoteh3nry:
drive 55 on the highway...thats how you get shot by random road rage drivers.  i dunno i think i'd rather lose some gas mileage than have someone shoot at me...but thats just me =)

Good point, bullet holes and blown out windows ruin aerodynamics.  

h3nry h3nry
Enthusiast | Posts: 441 | Joined: 04/06
05:07 AM

Don't use your air conditioner (A/C) unless you really need it. The A/C compressor puts an extra strain on the engine.

Keep your windows closed when possible. Open windows actually reduce gas mileage compared to using the A/C.

dont these two kinda contradict each other?  

aquabat911 aquabat911
05:23 AM

Icon Quoteh3nry:

dont these two kinda contradict each other?

all depends on speed, at slower speeds aerodynamics are not as big a factor, so around town you are better off not using your AC and keeping the windows down, at higher speeds the drag created from having your windows down uses more hp than your AC compressor.  

AutomotiveJC AutomotiveJC
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 06/14/06
10:51 AM

I read from CNN and it suggests that if you are cruising under 45 MPH use the windows. Any speed OVER that turn on the A/C.  

ramilos ramilos
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/04/10
10:30 PM

My issue is with not getting mileage anywhere near the manufacturer list. My 2007 Hemi gets about 9-10 mpg and is listed at about 14-16, conversely 11-16 l/100km and I'm using 24 litres per 100 km.

Not good. Done all the tune ups, tire pressure ok, bed cover on, no weight in the back, standard tires, clean air filter, etc.

I'm just looking to get what the spec is or even close.

Any suggestions  

rkothari123 rkothari123
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/21/12
10:17 PM

Thanks for this great list. I think if you drive fewer miles each year and if the per gallon savings are less, it will take more time to recover your expenses. I have just installed a computer cheap to my AMW Truck, it might be costly but it already programed to improve gas mileage.  
SUV

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com