Xml
Item Posts   

94 3.4 timing marks

| 
bobbykey bobbykey
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/06/06
12:33 PM

I have 1994 3.4 firebird im installing the timing chain.there is a small indention on the crankshaft gear to align with timming mark ,but the camshaft gear has no indention on it , but there is some sort of mark on it like a pointer the haynes manual shows this in 12 oclock position but there is no indention to align with the timing mark on the bottom .Should i just align this pointer up with the timing mark which would make it in the 6 oclock position?  

MrAngry MrAngry
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 06/06/06
09:55 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular GM engine but I have learned a few things over the years about timing chain installation and what I thought I knew. If you are more comfortable aligning the marks with the cam gear at 6 and the crank gear at 12 it will still be right. The problem comes into play when you install the distributor, if you install it while the timing gears are at 6 & 12 the distributor will be 180 degrees out. I wondered why I always seemed to get distributor timing off 180 when I rebuilt GM V8 engines, it was because the books I was using refer to the camshaft timing when at 6 & 12 as #1 firing position, when it is technically #1 overlap position or #6 firing position. I've since learned that you can't always trust the service literature for the application you're working on to be correct, even in factory service manuals.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com