Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

HELP....MY JEEP'S STARTED SHAKING VIOLENTLY!!!!

| 
Eac8q Eac8q
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/22/06
07:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD.  I recently had the front trailing arm mounting bracket replaced, and I am wondering if they screwed something up.  Lately I have noticed that when I am turning or bearing left the steering starts to shake.  At first it was a little bit, but I recently experienced one incident where the car started shaking pretty violently as I was bearing left with the curve of the road. It kind of feels like there is a rumbling under the front left side of the jeep.  It is hard to describe.  I don't know much about cars in general, and my brother told me that it might be a problem with my suspension, alignment, or steering.  Does anyone recognize these symptoms.  Please help me. Thanks.

Eac8q  

watermover watermover
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/22/06
01:00 PM

I have a 1987 jeep Laredo appears to be doing the same thing. I have replaced rotor, u-joints, bearings, stablizer bar and tires. the only thing left would be to ck front axel, can't figure it out. your problem sounds like the same thing, I also need help !  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 05/23/06
02:59 AM

If the problem was not happening before you had the brace replaced, I would take it back to the shop and explain your situation.  I wish I could help more than that but i dont know to much about Jeeps  

manatee03 manatee03
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/12/06
09:53 AM

I had a similar problem with my wrangler.  When I was btw 50-55 mph and hit a bump, the jeep would start to rumble and shake violently.  Had several dealers try different things but only the latest one worked.  They replaced the "Damper-Steering Linkage".  That was 3 months ago and I have not had it happen once since.  

k2 k2
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/30/06
05:37 AM

i have a 96 cherokee 4.0 4wd that had similar problems.  Violent shaking that would almost rip the steering wheel out of your hand, usually going straight, but sometimes in turns.  these are the fixes i tried.  Each 'fix' solved the problem for a few weeks to a few months, but after I finally finished then all, the problem went away totally.

steering dampner shock
front shocks
front tires
front brake rotors

also tie rods and ball joints could come into play.

I would first check with whoever did the initial work; barring any problems on the previous work, you might start with a check of your brakes.  Turning is usually *** with braking even slightly.  I had (among other problems) a warped right rotor.

good luck, this can be a bear to track down.
k2  

erinb erinb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/15/06
04:17 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm glad I found this site.  I'm having the same problem with my 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited 4wd.  It started about a month ago, when we would hit a bump in the road(bridges, potholes, RR tracks, etc).  Minor shaking that wasn't to bad, then 2 wks ago it started shaking at about 40 - 55 mph.  I had just had the right axle replaced about 1 wk before it started.  We replaced the track bar and had an alignment done.  It didn't fix the problem.  One place I took it to said that the steering shock needed replaced, but it doesn't have one on it, I guess only certain models have them.  The garage I deal with doesn't know what is causing this, so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.  

longfellow longfellow
New User | Posts: 30 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/26/06
10:47 AM

Driveshaft (may) need replaceing at a guess.This a general dealer fix.
This does not mean this is problem, only a potential could be cause.

Balance check and (inspect) for damage both front tires.

Check to see if you damaged the tire that hit the pot-hole. This
could built up to the problem you just explained happened.

good luck  

olso1234 olso1234
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/30/06
08:13 AM

I also have this problem with my 2003 Wrangler X.  I have had my tie rods replaced twice, the sway bar replaced twice, the ball joints replaced, the steering damper replaced, three sets of tires, two brake jobs, the damper steering linkage replaced, new shocks, and a partridge in a pear tree.  The problem will be "fixed" for a little while then resume within a year.  It is ridiculous.  I don't know what else to fix.  I have never gone more than 6 months without a major repair, and I bought the vehicle brand new.  If anyone has any other ideas, I would be forever grateful.  Thank you.  

frankmurph frankmurph
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 11/01/06
10:30 AM

check your wheel bearings..... get it up on a lift and kinda shake the wheel it shouldnt shake at all if its "Perfect"  

JEEPTECH JEEPTECH
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/18/06
02:16 PM

Jeeps are picky about there tires,if the tires a cupped or feather edged
or have excessive road force, this all can cause the death wobble(this is what the dealer calls this concern)cause it can shake the steering wheel right out of your hands, the shake will occur around 45-55 mph , tires seems to be the main concern for this repair, jeeps tires should be rotated every 6000 miles, wrangler every oil change,this is what i tell my customers......  

corne1 corne1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/24/07
12:21 AM

well i have the same problem i started out with A 3 inch lift and it only done it around 50-55 then i moved up to a 6 inch and it wont go 35 and o went to shops and they told me different stuff i  bought shocks and i havent put them on yet. what should i do?  

jackxxxx jackxxxx
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/27/07
02:46 PM

Hi, sounds like a prob. I once had on another make.  A sharp young mech. found a broken spacer (thick washer) at one of the engine mounts.  He replaced it and no more noisy shaking!!!  you might have all engine mounts checked for breaks and tightness.  Wish you success!
jackxxxx  

cj784 cj784
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/14/08
08:53 PM

Try checking the pitman arm and the tracking bar
    thanks cj784
Wink  

impeachie impeachie
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/29/08
09:51 AM

Hi!

I too had the violent shaking in my 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited. With the same repairs everyone listed it went away. Now I have a new problem. Every time I hit the brakes, the pedal slaps my foot and the vehicle shakes. It stops just fine; it just shakes, rattles, and rolls in the process! The brakes have all been replaced, and I mean every part, except the antilock. I do not know anything about the antilock system. Could there be air in the antilock system? Any one know how to bleed that system? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!  

manmountain8 manmountain8
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/16/08
06:47 PM

My 93 Jeep is also shaking.  It did it once about a month ago and then one day it started shaking repeatedly.  Speed does not seem to matter.  When I brake it goes away, then comes back.  It shook so bad it worked everything in the engine loose and it overheated. It is leaking Power steering fluid and it was completely dry the day it broke down. The shop told me that the whole front end needed to be replaced and it isn't worth that much so it's totalled. Ball joints, Tie rods, ect, are all worn but nothing is broken. Anyway, it sat for a month until I decided to check it out today.  I hooked everything back up, and did all the fluids.  Took it for a drive and it was fine. No shaking. I really thought that it was shaking just because it was out of Power steering fluid. Wishfull thinking I guess. Then I took it out later on the freeway, and I made it about 7 miles before it started shaking. I hit the brake and it stopped and did not return again.  WTF is going on?  I've got till thursday to fix it or I can throw my festival tickets in the garbage.  Somebody help!  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com