1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

BMW run flat tire problems

| 
JohnMcNH JohnMcNH
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/05/06
06:26 AM

I have an 06 BMW 330XI with just under 9K miles and the dealer told me that I need to replace the tires. I have a strange cupping pattern and I have had terrible noise from this car from day one. I have had 6 3 series since 1992 and never have I had a problem like this that BMW would not fix. I contacted BMW customer service out of Ohio yesterday and the woman there told me that they do not cover tires at all regardless of the mileage. She also told me that they are not aware of any issues with these tires. Why are they hiding this? If you have this problem please contact BMW. I wish I had an email address there because I would post it on every website that allowed it! Anybody interested in buying an 06 BMW 330 XI with under 9K miles?  

aquabat911 aquabat911
Enthusiast | Posts: 708 | Joined: 04/06
Posted: 05/05/06
08:30 AM

I frequent a lot of different forums online and it seems like it is effecting several different brnads of vehicles, mostly Nissans and Acuras but this is the first I have heard on a Bimmer. Maybe because they are realtively new, anyway.  Just from my experience, you will need to locate the problem of the cupping first. Generally cupping results from an inconsitent load on the tire. Something like a blown shock, unbalanced tire, wheel bearing etc. If its a mechanical failure, bearing, shock, whatever, those will be covered under warranty and then you may have a better case to get them to replace your tires under warranty. Go to BMW specific forums, mwerks.com, bimmerforums.com or even talk to the guys in your local BMWCCA and see if anyone has experienced a similar problem. I know several of the Nissan guys all thought they had an individual problem with their cars until everyone started talking on the net and Nissan confirmed a problem. I am not sure they have found a fix other than just giving Z drivers free front tires every 5K miles.  

cin linn cin linn
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/15/06
02:28 AM

I just found out today that my 2003 Z4 BMW has to have all new tires
due to the cupping problem.  I have 17,000 easy miles on it, bought the car new and check the air pressure regularly.  I have had tires before
that had 60,000 miles and was still fine.  I can't help but to think
there is a problem with these run flat tires.  I feel they should be replaced under warranty.  I have a 1997 Z3 BMW, with 45,000 miles and the tires are in perfect condition. I was having shaking and jerking
in the steering, so they first told me he would rotate the back tires
to the front then called back and said I needed all new tires. I am contacting BMW and trying to spread the word.  

hrbabe hrbabe
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/16/06
04:02 AM

This sounds like all of us Toyota Sienna owners about a year ago at this time as we were all discovering cupping and uneven wear.  A year later after posting at forums and being contacted here by class action attorneys, we have achieved a recall on our RFT's.  Toyota to replace and reimburse if you've bought your own before 36,000 miles.  Keep plugging away and hopefully BMW will do the same.  The problem is that the RFT technology is not where it needs to be yet, is inadequate, and just not suited for daily driving yet (imo).  More refinements needed.  They hide it, or the people on the phones just don't know about it until they are told via a bulletin.  They are not out here researching and hearing about it the way the owners are.  

Disillusioned Disillusioned
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/21/06
05:50 AM

I have blown 9 tires on my new BMW 325xi 2005 in just over a year. They upgraded us to the sport tire option at a lower cost than the lease for our 2001 model. I am as astounded and frustrated as I can possibly be. I certainly haven't changed my driving patterns, and I drive all the same routes and yet the 9 tires I've blown this year amount for 9 of the 10 I've blown in ten years of driving. BMW claims there is nothing wrong with the car, they say the problem is that the roads are bad, yet I have NEVER heard of any other model car driving on the roads of montreal today having even half as many blowouts! Has anyone heard of this problem or had similar issues?  

automotivejtm-#001 automotivejtm-#001
Guru | Posts: 1019 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 05/22/06
02:08 AM

will or are the run flat tires covered under BMW's new 0 maintenance policy?  

AutomotiveJC AutomotiveJC
Enthusiast | Posts: 372 | Joined: 05/06
04:37 AM

nope, the new run flats are not covered.  

10:43 AM

so this free maintenance cost which supposedly includes normal wear and tear items has some catches.  

Posted: 05/23/06
09:26 AM

Yup, the plan includes oil change, windshield wiper blades, brakes, and some fluids. Clutch, tires, light bulbs, are not a part of the free maintenance.  

JohnMcNH JohnMcNH
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/26/06
03:56 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.  

Posted: 05/30/06
02:12 AM

no problem  

Posted: 06/05/06
02:06 AM

28,000 miles is not to bad.  I could actually live with that.  But yeah, I understand completely  

ronsidhu ronsidhu
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/05/06
02:44 AM

I have blown 2 tires in 2 years on my 2003 BMW 530I having driven only 28,000 miles.  BMW says they do not cover warrantee on tires.  But, this is ridiculous.  

Societyred Societyred
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 06/08/06
12:37 AM

I noticed a cupping problem at around 9k with my 06 330i. The road noise is horrific. I took it to isringhausen and they said the wheels must be bent so i should replace them as well as the tires. I told them they were crooks and went to plaza BMW in STL. They said to just rotate tires and check pressures often. After rotation the noise was less audible, but is on the rise again after 3 months. Not sure what to do.  

Posted: 06/13/06
05:04 AM

My 2006 330i just hit 9000 too, but I don't have the road noise and cupping problem. Do you have the sport package with the 18" rims? The road noise on my car is not as apparent as the wind noise. Definitely check the tire pressure at least every month!  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com