Xml
Item Posts   

Michelin LTX M/S - Sidewalls Splitting

| 
vbow vbow
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/18/06
12:49 AM

I purchased a set of Michilin LTX M/S tires for my 2000 Ford F-150 19000 miles ago after my first (OEM) tires needed replaced.  My old tires were Goodyear Wrangler RT/Ss.  I was going to go back with Goodyear but traction in wet weather was not that good.  I decided to use the LTX M/Ss even though the price was much higher.  

Recently two of my tires have been losing air pressure quickly.  I had one go completely flat last week over night.  After looking at the tire I noticed many small cracks in the sidewall.  After airing the tire back up I noticed air coming from one of the cracks.  I checked the remainder of the tires which show some of the same cracking.

Are these tires safe to use? Has anyone else had the same issue?  

ekimball ekimball
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/19/06
07:33 AM

you should always be carefull with tires, i would definatly get them checked out, you don't want to have a blowout and put yourself in danger, I have no clue what would cause the sidewall to crack, i've seen it on really old tires but ot tires that new  

tirefunda tirefunda
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/23/06
09:37 PM

Check the DOT number on the sidewall of the tire. Last 4 digits of this indicate week and year of production. If tires are not 5 years old and the tread wear is uniform circumferential or radial cracks on tire sidewall is due to manufacturing defect and you should get your tires replaced (pro-rated). Upto a small depth of the crack it may not be  unsafe but they may grow very fast. So don't take  chances. If you have been sold old tires it is not your fault and ask the seller to replace them pro-rated. Old tires can have weather-checking which developes a series of cracks on the sidewall of the tire. Improper inflation pressure can cause cracks.  

travelmeister travelmeister
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/05/09
03:10 PM

I have had a set of Michelin LTX M/S on my mini-motorhome for almost 5 years.  The cracks on the sidewalls are alarming.  I have made a formal report to NHTSA but no response.  I have heard everything from "small cracks are OK" to "they are ready to blow out any second".  I haven't found a tire dealer that knows what they are doing.  the idiots that put my tires on, put braided valve extensions on RUBBER stems! I don't know what to do, other than drive them until they blow out, then sue Michelin if I survive.  I can't afford to just go out and buy a new set on Social Security.  Anyone know of a class action lawsuit against Michelin?  I'm NOT impressed with Michelin any more, but was really impressed with the Hankook's that came on my'07 Focus.  These tires were manufactured in '05, but I have seen the identical Michelin tire made in '02 that had NO cracking!  

Posted: 09/07/09
06:52 AM

FYI:  Michelin, Goodrich, and Uniroyal are one conglomerate now.....  

Posted: 09/08/09
05:26 AM

To VBOW:  PLEASE go online and complain to NHTSA!  Until Michelin addresses this problem, many of us are in danger.  Check the date on your tires (the last four numbers on the serial number).  If your tires were made in late 04 or 05, you have some of the same batch I got.  BTW, I checked my spare, and the part of the tire that was in complete darkness for 2 1/2 years is uncracked!  Clearly a serious UV problem.  

edelvecchio edelvecchio
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/19/09
04:06 AM

I saw my back tire was a little flat.  I had my son put air in it.  He said "look at the tires".  They had small cracks.  I called Michelin and customer relations person told me not to worry they were usual and customary.  My Goodyear guy said "no way", dangerous and they could expand quickly.  If you go onto the Michelin website they have a section helping you to see if you need new tires and show bulges,bubbles, etc. on sidewalls but no cracks. They are hiding something.  One of the Michelin tires I had was only a few years old. I just put on two Goodrich tires and they are made by Michelin.  I am wondering now if I did the right thing.  

pjcremin pjcremin
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/14/11
06:10 AM

I also am having problems with my Michelin tires. Within a couple of months of purchase, I noticed small tears and cracks in the outside of the sidewalls. Took it back to the dealer, Pomp's Tire, in Rice Lake, WI. They looked at them and said that it was no big deal and it was just a "surface blemish". I thought that perhaps I just cut one on some barbed wire or sharp rock while off road. Now, several years later, EVERY tire has serious cracks and tears in it. It is too late to get any money back. I waited too long.

Like an idiot, I tried using tire glue to stick these tears back together. It did help, but the entire sidewall is full of these cracks. I am just going to replace all of them. Pa always said "Never skimp on tires or brakes". He was a smart man...

I am going to complain to the NTSB and the dealer. If anyone knows anyone at Michelin I can bend an ear, I'd do that too. THESE TIRES SUCK! And the worst thing is that they wear so well.  

kingpower kingpower
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 12/01/11
12:13 PM

hi i am sorry to hear about your Michelins cracking. This is unusual?? Michelins ae renowned for splitting around beads near the wheel,but this is caused by the tyres being in the Sun and the rubber carbon starts to break down leading to cracking this cracking eventually joins up to make bigger cracks but this happens over a few years yous problem sounds like you are running at too low a pressure and this can cause tyre flexing cracks or your tyres are too over sized. i think you should go to your nearest tyre dealer and they should arrange for Michelin to take a look, but in my experience this is fitment problems and i would use the vehicle as little as possible until you get clarification of what the problem is good luck eric roberts michelin tyre problems Frown  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com