First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2003 Silverado truck will not start

| 
waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/09/10
06:05 PM

2 answers... first for Lbloves24...  try putting in a new delco ignition switch..  delco D1426D might be your part number...
that switch might be causing problems..

double check the part number..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jodigo01

i would think the noise your starter is making is actually going bad...   could also  be the ring gear teeth have a few damaged teeth..   examining the ring gear teeth is needed.. all 168 of them...  

coloradoan coloradoan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/03/10
07:20 PM

I have been having this same issue on again off again over the last three months.  It happened again yesterday.  Drove home from an event, a short hop of only 4 miles or so.  Ran inside to get the kid to go out for a quick bit, jumped in and hit the ignition and nothing, absolutely nothing.  Over the next six hrs, I disconnected the neg terminal, let it sit for a while and still not even a scant light, even under the hood.
Then the neighbor dude came down, he disco'ed both neg and positive cables, brushed off just a scant, I mean a scant amount of corrosion on the positive cable, and boom, I was back in business.   FYI, the battery is new, as of about four months ago.  

supliandes supliandes
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/14/10
02:25 PM

I swap the relay y change it for a new one. This remedy the problem for two days.
All electrical power seems normal......just nothing at all happens when I turn the key to start.....can hear what sounds like a couple relays or something engaging.....but no starter turn over AT ALL.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 06/15/10
07:16 PM

suplandes...

it could also be the starter... a bad battery.. dirty battery terminals..

i would look at your starter.. identify the solenoid wire.. use a remote starter switch to see if the starter works when going direct... there are just so many things that can go bad...  

mothemi mothemi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/20/10
01:35 PM

my 2003 3500 silverado doing same thing at first it was intermitten. replaced battery,starter.same thing some times moving gear shifter to neutral would work but not often. I would have to jump the starter. and it would start.got to be a pain in the ass. took it to dealer they spent 3 days on it and didnt know.he did show me how to start it with the starter relay so i didnt have to crawl under it all that for only 300.00 what a bargain.now someone has to pump the gas while i jump the starter.every time.i just wish i had hair so i could pull it out.any ideas besides rogaine.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 09/20/10
03:23 PM

The problem might be a bad or miss adjusted MLP (neutral safety switch) Did you test this module?
It is located on the left side(drivers side)of the trans, just behind the shift lever.
It does supplies ignition voltage to the starter RELAY.( yellow wire)
2D1s2vt  

Dchevman Dchevman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/07/11
07:45 PM

My 2001 Silverado, 1500, 4x4 with a 4.8litre wouldn't start. Just got the click, click sound from the solenoid on the starter. After checking the battery connections, and fuses (all good), I decided to remove the starter. Unfortunately, I had to remove three bolts on the right motor mount, then jack-up the engine to get enough clearance to get the starter out. The starter was bad. So, I tracked down a new Delco starter ($200.00), and installed it. The truck starts right up now. The whole job took about five hours, not including the time it took to track down a purchase NEW starter.  

siik siik
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/27/11
10:25 AM

Hey guys, having the same problem as y'all are on the Silverado ('02 1500), replaced both batteries, and still intermittent no-starts.  Took it to the dealer this morning, and as luck would have it, the ole girl wouldn't start for them.  They checked a few things out, and the only way they got her to start was banging on the starter a few times. We'll see what happens $500 later.  I have to say I'm not totally convinced, but will keep you posted if it didn't.  

didwiggy didwiggy
Posted: 01/28/11
03:37 PM

check the battery not just by cheking voltage some times they act funning showing good volts and wont let you start but will with boost sometimes a small 5 mph bumper bump can cuase this problem with the battery. i had this problem and it took 5 month to realize that it was the battery and battery was about a year old dealer checked it many time with no diagnostic problems battery was bad,  

dubber97 dubber97
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/31/11
09:03 AM

Hey guys I got it! 03 chevy van, get in, turn key on, full power, no crank, #3 light on shift indacator is on. Puller conector off on left side of trans, GREEN and shot! If you just unplug the bottom connector truck will run, then replace it all. Hope this helps.  

siik siik
Posted: 03/17/11
07:49 AM

Update, I believe she's fixed.  The dealer replaced the starter, said there was a burn spot and that it was fairly common. Anyway, its been a while since it was replaced, and after daily use, I've not had any further problems with it.  

03ChevyMan 03ChevyMan
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/09/11
09:47 PM

Im having the same problem on my 03 1500 silverado as well. i have a new starter on it i replaced it about 300 miles ago. so far this has happend twice. the first time was the other day i went outside at 5:30am to warm up my truck. i put the key in the ignition went to fire it up and nothing... it was almost like a killswitch was on. i gave up on trying to start it, so i took my BMW to work came back home 12 hours later i went out to my truck and it fired right up. Once again this morning i went outside to fire it up and nothing, came back 12 hours later and still nothing... i tried disconnecting the battery for a while, i also tried switching the relays and still nothing. i noticed that when i try to crank it my lights dim down then when i let go of the key they go bright again. could this be a bad battery problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Posted: 06/10/11
04:21 AM

absolutely...   batteries do go bad.. just like that.. one day it works.. next day.. nothing..

i would start with a complete cleaning of the battery cables..  use hot water and a 3 buck stainless steel wire tooth brush from the hardware or paint store..(wooden handle ones are better.)

i had a friend with a 98 C2500 who came over a few weeks ago...  it would die on the freeway at 65 then restart with the key. ..   i did a voltage drop test on it with the engine running and the headlights on...

set digital volt meter to 20 volts scale.. start engine.. turn on headlights..

1.   measure the positive battery post to the negative battery post...   14.1 to 14.7 volts is expected...

2.  measure the negative battery post to the engine block... 0.04 volts is expected..

3.  measure the negative battery post to the body..0.02 volts is expected..

4.. measure from the engine block to the body..  0.02 volts is expected...

post your results...

you can also do most of that test with the engine off..

headlights on for one minute then off..

12.65 volts is a fully charged battery
12.45 volts is a 3/4 charged battery
12.24 volts is a half charged battery.

then... how much voltage do you have when you try to crank the motor.. ????

test between the negative battery post and the engine block when somebody is trying to crank the motor..   you should have less than 1.0 volts..

back to my friends truck...

on test 1... i got 13.5.
test 2 fluctuated  around..
test 3 fluctuated around
.i was just about to get new batteries for my digital volt meter till i did test 4...
test 4 i got 8.5 volts..  between the engine block and the body...  there should have been 0.02 there and been stable..

i took the cables apart and found the terminals covered with hidden corrosion that looked like cake frosting..    hot water and a wire toothbrush cleaned them..   fixed the truck ..

diagnosis is the first step...  and the tests i have outlined above.. take about 5 minutes to do.. including the time to open the hood...

post what you get...  

03ChevyMan 03ChevyMan
Posted: 06/10/11
06:22 AM

ok thanks, i have to get a volt meter first before i test anyhing.  

03ChevyMan 03ChevyMan
Posted: 06/13/11
06:26 PM

ok so what i have noticed is my truck doesnt start in the morning when its cold, but it starts fine later on in the afternoon. what could this be? i was reading on a forum that it might be the fuel pump starting to go out. afterall my fuel gauge isnt working do to the floater on the fuel pump. any input guys? oh and btw when i mean the truck doesnt start in the morning it only makes a sound coming from the fuse box which would be the relay and thats about it.  

First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com