Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2003 Silverado truck will not start

| 
Coachcisco Coachcisco
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/14/07
06:00 PM

I just replaced the started with a new solenoid as well and still having problems. I drive a 1998 Silverado 5.0 and for the last few years I would very rarely get into the truck and nothing would happen...no lights..no bells or whistles...then minutes later it would start fine. Well about 3 weeks ago it attempted to start like the solenoid was engaging, but nothing happened. Now what...??? My truck will not start at all so right now I am recharging the battery a battery jump start did not work.  

Nicoroza Nicoroza
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 01/10/08
08:01 AM

I know I'll jinks things but mine (2001 Chevy Express) hasn't acted up for over 3 months. I didn't do anything, it just stopped...not starting. Like I said before, when you would turn the key, nothing happened... no solenoid click, no light dim, nothing. Just as if you never turned the key at all. This happened 4 or 5 times, each time (mostly) in the morning when I would first attempt to start the van. I'd come back later and everything would be just fine, start as normal. It has never failed to start when the motor was warm, only when it set for a while.

Anyway, this happened 4 or 5 times in about 2 months, then hasn't happened since. (Probably happen again tomorrow now that I brought it up)  

green9030 green9030
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/07/08
07:40 AM

My 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 is doing the same thing. This is the second time its done this. The last time I took it to the dealership and they hooked it up and said that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and that everything looked fine. Of course it started right up for them. They were only guessing but they thought it could be something wrong with the truck's computer in the starter or the key making the computer think the truck was stolen (and shutting down) because the chip in the key was worn out. Does this make any sense. I'm still stumped because now 2 years laters it's acting up again. If anyone else has found any answers please let me know. Confused  

MrKBStewart MrKBStewart
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/20/08
06:14 AM

First of all i cant believe that no one has replied to the issue for you guys because it is really common in chevys. You will get in to start the truck and it wont turn over but you have lights etc. Here is where the science gets dim but the solution is bright . it is the connection at the battery! replacing the battery wont solve the problem as some of you have found out . THe battery bolt that connects the cable to the battery is your problem , it has oxidized over the years and visible or not it is not making continuous contact allowing large amperage loads to travel through it. Small amperage feed will occur but large load may or may not. remove the battery bolt from the cable , clean the cable and using a new bolt reattach it. make sure it actually tightened the cable by trying to move it after the bolt gets tight. if it will move any the bolt is bottoming out before the cable is tight meaning the bolt is too long for the wear between tha cable and battery , grinding a little of the bolt off will solve this problem.  

blackbelair blackbelair
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/13/08
05:31 PM

My 03 Silverado does the same thing, but when it does I notice the shift indicator says 2nd gear and I know it will not start in 2nd gear. No matter how many times I turn the key on and off it always says 2nd gear. I attached a remote starter switch and it starts right up, but I have to drive it a few miles before this problem goes away. This is the second time this has happened in the year I have owned the truck. Anyone have any bright ideas?  

furbtec furbtec
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/09/08
01:04 PM

HEADS UP, I own an 03 Silverado that had the same problem that you'all are describing. After researching the web and reading the suggestions posted here, I went to work. I found that my starter relay in the fuse box under the hood was bad. The next time your truck does this, pull the starter relay (they have blades underneath just like a fuse, a little wiggle and effort and they will pull out)and swap out with the relay right next to it (which happens to be the exact type). The other relay is labeled Park LP if you look inside the fuse box cover. This should remedy the problem until you can get a replacement relay. Hope this helps.  

tclark77 tclark77
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/27/08
07:46 AM

Same problem. 2003 Chevy Silverado. The first time it wouldn't start, we had lights, and everything it just wouldn't turn over. Checked the battery and terminals and fuses and relay. Finally after several hours my neighbor came over and shifted the steering wheel and it started. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. A few months later it did the same thing except this time shifting the steering wheel didn't help. Had it towed to the mecanic and they couldn't find anything wrong they got it to start and basically said unless you want to throw money at it let it go. Now for the third time the truck is sitting in my drive way doing the same thing. I have lights, music, air but the darn thing won't turn over. You can hear a relay or maybe the fuel pump engage and then nothing. ANy suggestions would be very appreciated.  

jasondhilton jasondhilton
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/10/08
10:36 AM

I am having the same problems it looks like.  I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado.  It has 94,000 miles on it now.  I just moved from Lubbock, Texas back to my home in Louisiana.  When I was in Lubbock, Texas for 26 months I only put 15,000 miles on my truck and never ever had a problem with it.  I drove it 15 miles to work and then back home and it was parked. Didn't drive it on the weekends.  Well my wife and I moved to Louisiana August 29th.  It was raining outside and we went to my parents for a little while and then drove back over to the house and parked the truck.  The next morning my son wanted his playstation from my parents house, so we got in the truck because it was still raining and when i went to crank my truck like always, this time it wouldn't crank.  There was no warning that anything was going to go wrong with this truck. I have no warning lights on the dash.  We checked the voltage of the battery and it was a little weak, but not bad, so i replaced the battery anyway... We have also replaced the fuel filter. We took the starter off and tested the starter and it was fine. We checked the voltage of the fuses last night and they were fine.  We put a couple drops of gas in the air intake and nothing. We took out the spark plugs and they are still good. It has 1/2 a tank of gas in the truck from the trip over from Lubbock.  I mean the truck trys to turn over, but it want crank up. Its got fuel and its got power, but it want crank.  Does anyone have the answers or what I should try next.  

D-713. D-713.
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/06/09
06:53 PM

I had the same problems on my 2003. first it was the factory batery it started leaking acid. i had no power and it would not crank so i replaced it with an acid free batery (make sure you clean the batery posts espetialy the pos one with wire brush and water mixed with bakingsoda)it stoped all of my problems there. recently everything went in a diferent direction everything would stay on and it would not crank well a friend told me it was the ignition switch so i replaced it. it stoped for a couple of weeks and started allover again. well i was on vacation in mexico and it did it again so i took it to a shop. they knew what was wrong when i told them what it did. they went stainght for the starter they fixed it and. i have not had any problems in 3 months since then i hope this is usefull  

ricks1954 ricks1954
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/09/09
06:46 PM

My 2001 Chevy Blazer has the same problem. Dash lights and radio come on, sometime hear relays clicking, but engine doesn't turn over/start. Intermittent, won't start for several attempts, then jiggle the starter switch/shift lever, wait a few minutes, a few swear words, then try it again, it starts. Seemed to start having the problem after the dealer replaced the emergency flasher switch. Also, the ABS and brake system lights are coming on intermittently, as well. U-Haul installed an electronic brake controller a year ago, maybe that is contributing to the problem. Still need to try replacing the starter relay.  

togs44 togs44
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/27/09
08:20 PM

Is your security light flashing? If your Tahoe has the factory ant-theft system, if the security light is flashing while you are cranking your anti-theft system has been activated. It is common for the Tahoes to wear out the ignition lock assembly, lock cylinder and the ignition switch(electrical) which is attached to the lock assembly. I have replaced all three parts with great success and solved the no start problem on several GM trucks.

The most common problem with these vehicles is the fuel pump. The pump should run for a few seconds when you turn the key on before you crank the engine. If you don't hear the pump run, go to the fuse/relay box under the hood. Look at the diagram on the inside of the lid and locate the fuel pump fuse and relay. Check the fuse to see if it is blown put it back if OK or replace it. Unplug the fuel pump relay and use a paper clip to jumper across terminals #30 & #87 where the relay plugs in. If the fuel pump starts running, you should be able to hear it run at the back of the vehicle, where the tank is. If you don't hear the pump running, hit the center of the tank dead-center with a rubber or wooden mallet. If the pump still doesn't run, see if you can get to the wires going to the fuel pump and wiggle them. If you hear the pump run, try starting the engine. If it starts, replace the relay, if that was the problem or the fuel pump AND relay if the fuel pump was the problem. WARNING! WHEN YOU UNPLUG THE PAPER CLIP. IT MAY BE HOT!!!
The fuel pumps AND connector are big problems with GM trucks. If you replace the fuel pump(which is located in the fuel tank), use only the factory pump which you can buy at your GM dealer or an auto parts store that sells Delco parts. If the fuel pump used the small square four-pin electrical connector, replace it with the fuel pump. The latest GM/Delco fuel pumps will come with the new plug which you MUST change over as it is now a flat four-pin connector.
GOOD LUCK!  

bobbysimone bobbysimone
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/27/09
07:31 AM

Problem:  Lots of power from battery, all electrics work but starter would not even turn or click.
First check: Connection on battery. If connection is solid and not oxydized... you may have a dead spot in starter.
Cause: Normal wear and tear.
Partial solution: A couple of light taps on the starter with a hammer or wrench to free it.
Cause: Gumed up starter.
Permanent solution: New or rebuild starter.
If problem re-occur, it maybe that you got a dud for a new starter.  You may need to get it replaced again.
Other potential issues: defective silinoid or starter relay.
My problem was the dead spot on the starter.
Good luck.  

SilentCrow SilentCrow
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/18/10
10:17 PM

same on my 96 chevy...im wondering if its a short under the dash, cause the blinkers or flashers dont work, or maybe just a bad solenoid on the starter because when i try turning it over it always drawls power.  

Lbloves24 Lbloves24
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/09/10
09:40 AM

OK Everyone, I have an 07 that in the last 3 months has started doing the same thing and they till me there is nothing they can do unless it is broke down at the time... How frustrating is this problem with no solution... We can put a man on the moon and not fix a problem like this really. I just spoke with the dealership and asked if this was a common problem and they told me NO... Um I gues they do not read the internet much cause it sure seems like alot of people to be having this same problem and mine is an 07~~ Ugh, still looking for a cause...  

jodigo01 jodigo01
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/09/10
02:03 PM

Ok guys, any of you having this problem have a diesel? I have an '05 2500HD. The problem I'm having is that when I turn the key and it sounds like the solenoid is getting jammed. The sound is similar to that made when you start your car and turn the key again while its already running-that "squawk" sound (the one that screams at you "hey, dummy! I'm already running").  Anyway, I'm wondering if its really the starter/solenoid or a fuel pump/relay issue mentioned by togs44. Its time to have my fuel filter changed (the computer is showing its at 4% use left). This "squawk" thing happened to me three times today. Before today, it hasn't happened for at least 7 or 8 months. If memory serves, that was about the same time I had the last fuel filter service done. Coincidence? It happens so infrequently that I never think to ask anyone about it until it happens again. I'm going to print this thread & take it with me to my dealer this weekend. If he can shed any light on the problem, I'll let you know.  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com