1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2003 Silverado truck will not start

| 
tnandy tnandy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/07/06
05:31 AM

35k miles on truck.....pulled it in the garage the other day, went to start it today....nothing.   All electrical power seems normal......just nothing at all happens when I turn the key to start.....can hear what sounds like a couple relays or something engaging.....but no starter turn over AT ALL.

WHAT THE HECK ??

Any quick tries for a fix before I call a wrecker to have it towed OUT OF MY OWN GARAGE to a dealer ??

Thanks !

andy  

HolyShiz HolyShiz
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/10/07
03:54 PM

Let me know if you found anything, my 02 silverado started doing the same thing, but it's intermittent, every time I take it to the shop it starts just fine for them.  

bpark bpark
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/30/07
06:34 PM

I have an 02 Silverado that is doing the same thing I have had it to the dealers twice for this problem and of course it works just fine for them.The truck has left me stranded 3 times since I have owned it for the same problem. So if anyone knows what the fix is please let me know. Thanks  

Nyxt Nyxt
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/31/07
05:49 AM

Couple things to check, kinda generic info.  Battery voltage should be around 12-12.5, when you try to start it should drop between 9.3 and 10.5.  If it doesn't drop your starter is not drawing any power, if it drops too far your starter is bad or a bad battery.  Some vehicles have a solenoid switch usually mounted on the fire wall, others just have the starter solenoid,  either way with the key on jump off the positive posts.  If it starts you have a bad starter switch.  If not check for power to the solenoid.  If you have power you have a bad solenoid, no power you have a loose connection or a blown fuse.  

bpark bpark
Posted: 01/31/07
08:23 AM

Thanks, For the info Nyxt. When this happens again I will use your advice. Its a tuff problem to solve because it is so intermitant. Last night when this happend I tried over and over to start the truck. Gave up and 30 min later I decided to try it again it cranked over no problem. It sure would be nice if what ever is causing the problem would just break.  

bpark bpark
Posted: 02/20/07
03:11 PM

Ok for the third time my truck is at the dealership. This time I had to have the truck towed out of my driveway and of course it gets to the dealership and starts just fine. whats the deal! the dealer is telling me that they can't fix the problem because it starts just fine for them. Come on isn't there like some trouble shooting guide they could refer to or something. Am I the only one having this trouble?  

Caveman Caveman
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/23/07
03:08 PM

Yep... mine is doing the same thing. Replaced batteries, now its cranking hard like the batteries are dying. Not sure what to do. This seems like a whole new issue now, but the main thing is, its still not starting.  

Caveman Caveman
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/23/07
03:55 PM

Just talked to a friend of mine who suggested moisture in the distributer cap.  Took mine off and dried it with a hair dryer and it worked just fine.  Try replacing the cap.  

Nicoroza Nicoroza
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/19/07
06:56 AM

Anyone every find a cause?
I have the same thing happening. Sometimes it won't turn over and when I go back a few hours later, all is fine.

Last time this happened, it's still won't turn over.  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/20/07
05:21 AM

Did you check for battery voltage  from the ignition switch at the starter? That would be the small 8 gauge wire, it should have battery voltage when turned to "start"position .If no voltage, there are three things it could be, ignition switch,starter relay, or the MLP,(dtr) didgital transmission range switch,most parts stores call it the neutral safety switch, if you have battery voltage at the starter then you have a bad starter solenoid.  

smokey8128 smokey8128
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/29/07
03:04 PM

Hey did any of you guys get it all figured out? Because im having the same issues but mine just wont start at all! ive checked all relays and fuse's and batts are good! but my problem started with me disconnecting my batts and reconnecting them? i know this was a while ago for you gusy so im hoping that there is advice to be given out! please help me Thanks!
Ryan  

TimH-#001 TimH-#001
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/31/07
12:35 PM

You must have a Flintstonemobile Caveman, 2003 Silverados don't have distributors.  

mlow mlow
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/25/07
11:47 AM

2002 Chevy Avalanche doing the exact same thing.  This type of crap is why I stopped buying American cars in the 90's, and as soon as I figure out what is causing this and fix it, it will be someone else's problem.  What kind of company makes a vehicle which leaves you stranded, then ten minutes later nobody can tell what is wrong?  Sorry for venting, but this is just one of the most frustrating things to have to deal with.  

stacy09 stacy09
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/13/07
12:41 PM

I am so glad that I am not crazy!  My 2002 Chevy Silverado HD2500 is doing the same thing and I have had the same thing happen with the won't start for me deal but they get in and it starts?  Time and time again they say this thing is an intermintant problem and until it totally does not start, we don't know what is wrong.  At this point I am sure they know since this seems to be common.  Well, has anyones totally died and had it fixed?  One thing I have not read on here is that mine before it does its thing, the door locks lock and unlock and the battery light comes on?  But then after a while it starts back up with no problem.  

mikeyb2007 mikeyb2007
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/13/07
05:14 PM

I also have had starting problems on my 03 Silverado for a few months now.

My problems first started with my original 5 year old battery.  So i got a new one and things were fine for a few weeks.  Then one day I got no juice at all.  No enough to turn on the lights or anything.

I decided the problem was in the connection at the battery.  I cleaned the connections of all the corrosion re-attached and it started fine.  

Today the problem returned.  I pulled the connections off and there was no corrosion.  i hooked them back up and it started up fine.  

Basically i am getting a bad connection and I haven't figured out why yet.

I want to know from the rest of you if you on your original battery or an aftermaket?  I'm wondering if the wy the terminals hook up to my aftermarket has something to do with my problem.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck
Rating:
Below Average Below Average

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com