Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 Xterra Air Conditioning problem!!! Help!!!

| 
xterra1596 xterra1596
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 08/08/07
08:42 AM

Hey Everybody,

What pressures are everybody getting?

I have a 2000 Xterra and the air is not working at all. Here are my symptoms...

High Side Pressure 175; Low Side 38

I took the lower side of the evaporator box off and my evaporator was VERY dirty. When I ran the AC, the line from the expansion valve to the evaporator was very cold and condensation was forming however the evaporator itself did not get cold at all. When I shut off the car I could hear a hissing sound at the evaporator. (What that is I have no idea)

I do have a small leak on the high pressure hose near where it enters the condenser.

I just replaced the Thermo Control Amp with no change (does anybody know what this controls directly?)

I think we are all experiencing similar problems. Let’s get to the bottom of this!!

If anybody makes improvments or gets theirs fixed PLEASE come back here anf let us know!

Thanks, Jeff  

Knute Knute
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/08/07
07:47 PM

I finally found the thermo control amplifier on my 2000 frontier, it's inside the black plastic box behind the glove compartment, it is connected on the left side of a small radiator and it looks like a real bugger to get to, I was only able to see it by prying open the black ductwork box, so I just gave up, maybe I'll let the dealer do the work.  

AC_Squeal AC_Squeal
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/09/07
01:50 PM

I have a Nissan 2000 GXE and I live in Tampa, FL.

I'm having AC problems as well so I simpathize with all of you.

The only differnece with my issue is that my AC aside from going on and off when it feels like it it does it with a big air release. Sounds like a compresed air being released at high pressure(like when an 18 wheeler or a bus is applying its breaks). Sometimes its a big squealing/screetching sound.

The darn thing sometimes works fine during the whole ride other times its totally dead and yet other times it can go on and off like crazy.

Has anyone had one of these or have any clue to what it may be?

Thanks in advance  

briandunmire briandunmire
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/11/07
09:13 AM

I have the same problem as everyone here does.

So I got the 9Z000 part, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get into that black box.

Anything would help.

Thanks.  

Knute Knute
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/12/07
06:47 AM

I tried taking out the 3 or 4 screws on the front of that black ductwork box and pried it open as far as I could and could see the red thermo control amplifier thing, but that's as far I got, I think I cracked a part of the black box in the process. For a second I felt like getting brutal with the black box, but I did not want to screw up anything with the radiator which is inside of it. I wish an access panel was on front of the black box. Sorry I can't help, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow for an estimate.  

briandunmire briandunmire
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/18/07
02:02 PM

Okay I figured it out..

There are 3 screws on the back side of it that are incredibly hard to get to. Even after you get to them the box still won't open all the way, but it'll open enough for you to pull out the therm and install the new part.

Tips:

1. Use a long screwdriver to get to the screws (the 3 screws are literally an inch from the floor board)

2. Have a magnetic screw driver. I couldn't put one of the screws back in because of such tight space.

3. If there is no hope of taking or (or putting back) the screws on the backside, as a female or a child to do it for you. They will most likely have smaller hands and can get to it easier (My girlfriend had to take one out for me)

4. After the part is replaced, give the car a shot of 134. I live in Jacksonville Florida, and after replacing the part and giving it some 134, my AC is almost too cold (No complaints)...  

Fern Fern
Posted: 08/24/07
11:23 AM

Frown I am also trying to fix the A/C on my '04 Frontier(mechanically similar to Xterra).  I used a UV freon available at PEP boys to find out where the leak is.  Using the light pen that came with the UV freon I flashed the black light on each A/C parts under the hood.  I turns out a lot of UV freon leaking out from the high-pressure hose that runs from compressor to the A/C radiator.  It looks like it leaks on the compression fitting at the end of the rubber hose.  The Nissan dealership at East Windsor, NJ quotes me $89 for the part.  I'm planning to replace it my self when I come up with the fund.
Since the problem as it looks is in the compression fitting and not a puncture, I'd say its a manufacturer's defect.  

duke.xterra duke.xterra
Posted: 08/28/07
09:11 PM

2000 Xterra - replaced both AC hoses in last year w/ recharges.  Starts cold, but then quits, blowing hot air except when accelerating onto highway.  Checked low side - full charge.  Compressor clutch initially engages, but then never comes on again, unless accelerating onto freeway.  I read this thread and bought the magic thermo control amplifier and plugged it it, but didn't disassemble evaporator box to insert red probe.  I drove the car around - no difference, but I did find a clue that helped me solve my problem, and I'll share my solution with you now.

I put water in the radiator.  (D'oh!!)  Blush

As I was driving around, I noticed the temperature gauge pegged on H, then drove home.  I couldn't open a hot radiator, but I added coolant to the recovery reservoir.  Temp gauge settled down to where it belongs, halfway between C and H, and AC worked fine.  Although I feel mighty foolish, I have two things in my defense.  First, my spouse usually drives the X, and she never noticed.  Second, the dealer was supposed to check everything in some free checkup promotion when I got the last hose replaced two months ago.  

I hope I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence by posting this, but please check the basics.  Apparently, the system shuts down the AC when the engine gets too hot.  When the engine cooled, I added nearly 7 quarts of water to the radiator and recovery tank, and now the AC is almost too cold.  

D'oh!!!  

iza425 iza425
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/08/07
06:01 PM

I've owned my 2000 Xterra for 8 years now and I never had any problems with the truck until now. It has over 100K miles and I just started having AC problems. The AC had never been serviced before. It started making a faint squeking sound (or hissing sound) that comes from the two center vents in the dash and it takes a VERY long time for the AC to barely cool off when I'm driving on the highway. When I shut off the car, it continues to sqeak for about 10 seconds until the sound finally dies off (almost like a bad engine that keeps running after it's turned off). I checked under the hood and I can hear the same squeak coming from somewhere by the firewall. The clutch turns on when I turn on the AC, and water drains out the bottom of the truck as it should when I stop driving.

Sometimes when I'm driving, I turn the AC off then I turn it back on and it blows cooler but it never gets cold. The squeking sound is always there but the sound always goes from louder to quieter continuously.

This is the weirdest thing I've ever encountered with a car. I have not taken the truck anywhere to get it looked at because I don't want to get ripped off. I'm selling it in a couple of months (purely because of the gas prices)and I don't want to spend any money on it unless it's minimal. However, anybody that's going to look at the truck is going to hear the sqeaking sound and I don't want to lose the sale.

Can someone help me? Can it be the Thermo Control Amp problem? None of the postings mention any noise continuing after the car is shut off.

Thanks!  

TWILAD TWILAD
Posted: 09/09/07
08:09 PM

Ba ha ha ha ha - this to me is hilarious!!  And I only say this because I too have a 2000 Xterra with 120k miles with no problems with air co until last Spring and now a problem with my driver side window just recently.  I was recently questioning myself as to whether I should keep spending money to fix the air (Approx. $400 - 500 so far) (been in the shop 4 times in the last two weeks - still not fixed) or just get a new car.  Now that I see all these same issues over and over and over and over and over, this is definitely a pattern and time for a new car!

Thanks for all of your input - you just made my decision much easier!  I can't live with no air co in Southern California - my truck has officially died!!  

fatman fatman
Posted: 09/14/07
07:30 AM

i start this by saying that up until my ac went out i thought highly of nissan, my parents have owned nissans(dotsuns) when i was a kidd and we have always enjoyed them, then my ac did the intermitant problem that seems to be the bane of all nissan owners existance, my parents bought me and my brother nissans as graduation presents (myself high school, my brother college) we both have 02 fronteirs, i8 have this problem, he thankfully doesn't, not to metion that the dealership we bought them from is horrible, do not purchase an auto from reed nissan(they wanted us to pay 700 to have the system drained and the leak identified, with the price going up if the problem was not what he thought it was; we told them to pack sand) im an electrical engineering student i could tell that the problem was a sensor problem not a freon leakage problem(you can also add 134 your self), i just didn't know where to look i have to say that i think this site has been very help full, im going to pick up the part and do the work my self and repost with the out come,

thank you,

neverbuyingfromreedagain  

nissan2000 nissan2000
Posted: 09/18/07
06:00 PM

Have a Nissan 2000 Xterra. Had the exact same problem. The A/C will randomly turn ON, some time with in few minutes after starting and sometimes not at all. The heater works fine. Not knowing what to do was searching on line and ended up in the message  board. Found many had similar problem. Decided to replace the thermal control amplifier based on the recommendation here. Bought the part online for $30 and replaced it myself. A/C works fine. Thanks everyone!
Little harder than what I had in my mind. Not sure if this is only in 2000 models. Just taking out the Glove compartment wouldn’t do it. The sensor is stuck in the fins of the evaporator (the thermal sensor has two parts the sensor and the plug. Plug is on the lower left corner behind the glove box. This is visible once you remove the glove box.). The evaporator is inside a black casing that houses the cooling system. Had a hard time getting this open. Once this is open you are almost done.
Cool  

xterra2000 xterra2000
Posted: 09/27/07
02:36 PM

Thank you! My husband ordered the thermal control amplifier yesterday, and I replaced it today! You are right, small hands are easier, but the screw still did not come out. I had to pry the box open as far as I could, without cracking the *%$&* thing, but I was able to fit my hand in and remove the old one and install the new one. I had work done on the AC last summer, but it never worked properly, even after the $750 bill was paid. This has made the air colder than it has been for two years! Thanks again! Laugh  

yobbery yobbery
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/04/07
10:44 AM

Icon Quoteiza425:
I've owned my 2000 Xterra for 8 years now and I never had any problems with the truck until now. It has over 100K miles and I just started having AC problems. The AC had never been serviced before. It started making a faint squeking sound (or hissing sound) that comes from the two center vents in the dash and it takes a VERY long time for the AC to barely cool off when I'm driving on the highway. When I shut off the car, it continues to sqeak for about 10 seconds until the sound finally dies off (almost like a bad engine that keeps running after it's turned off). I checked under the hood and I can hear the same squeak coming from somewhere by the firewall. The clutch turns on when I turn on the AC, and water drains out the bottom of the truck as it should when I stop driving.

Sometimes when I'm driving, I turn the AC off then I turn it back on and it blows cooler but it never gets cold. The squeking sound is always there but the sound always goes from louder to quieter continuously.

This is the weirdest thing I've ever encountered with a car. I have not taken the truck anywhere to get it looked at because I don't want to get ripped off. I'm selling it in a couple of months (purely because of the gas prices)and I don't want to spend any money on it unless it's minimal. However, anybody that's going to look at the truck is going to hear the sqeaking sound and I don't want to lose the sale.

Can someone help me? Can it be the Thermo Control Amp problem? None of the postings mention any noise continuing after the car is shut off.

Thanks!

2000 Frontier
Exact same problem in every detail.

I had the thermal amp replaced 4 years ago because the blower motor would only work on the high setting.

Please let me know if you find the cause. I'll do the same.  

yobbery yobbery
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/04/07
11:52 AM

er...I meant to say I had the fan resistor replaced 4 years ago because the blower motor would only work on the high setting.  

First |  Prev |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Xterra
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories: