Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 Xterra Air Conditioning problem!!! Help!!!

| 
rjent59 rjent59
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/01/07
03:05 PM

Looks like Nissan has a lot of problems.  My AC quit working a couple of days ago and I had it recharged.  It cools OK now but the compressor just kicks on and off like every three seconds.  Could this be the problem with the Thermo Control Amplifier?   Any help will be appreciated as I don't want to spend a bundle while somebody tries to figure it out.  

jellyroll jellyroll
Posted: 07/02/07
07:09 PM

I have a 2000 Altima with chronic air-conditioning problems (see below).  Right now the A/C works fine in town..just can't take it on the road.  I figure it is cheaper to rent a car for road trips (once or twice a year) than have Nissan service it and yet not repair the problem.

4/2004: not cooling: Nissan Dealer added coolant at no charge
8/2004: only intermittant cooling: A/C check, service, evac & recharge ($230)

2/2005:not cooling: repace coolant temp sensor ($138)
3/2005: intermittant cooling: replace A/C relay ($98)
4/2005: intermittant cooling: replace Throttle Position Sensor ($183)
8/2005: intermittent: Nissan dealer repair Vacuum Leak ($613)...after this a/c was extremely cold!

4/2006: not cooling: Nissan dealer replaced compressor, evac and recharge
6/2006: Nissan delaer for 60K mile service ($570) in preparation for out of state road trip.  No A/C problems noted.
7/2006: Took on road trip feeling confident after spending almost $600 in "preventative maintenance at dealer" ...after one hour driving not cooling: A/C evac & recharge ($108)
7/2006: after one hour driving not cooling: Nissan dealer Replaced expansion valve, O-rings, A/C Evac and recharge ($491)

7/2006: after one hour dricing alternates between warm and cool: Courtesy Nissan in Richardson,TX refuses to stand behind their work or the work of Nissan Dealer in Iowa.  Says it "might be the thermister". I have refused to have this replaced.  If I do have any more work done, it will be by an independent mechanic.  No reason to go to dealer.

Very disappointed in Nissan.  Why take to a Nissa dealer if they do not stand behind their work and keep guessing at which part to replace.??? Confused ..all the while I'm being charged for their guesswork.  Took to 2 dealers (John Deery in Cedar Falls, Iowa and Courtesy Nissan, Richardson,Tx.)  I will not buy another Nissan even though this is my 2nd Nissan and my parents both drive Nissans.  It has 85K miles and is 7 years old.  I pray it will go to 100K and then I will dump and buy a Honda.  I feel bad for the poor guy who buys my used Nissan Altima.  

lindelc lindelc
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/05/07
09:55 AM

Xterra Owners may have this same problem.  I have a 2002 Frontier V6 automatic with 74000 miles and had intermittent AC problems after replacing the AC compressor and bad high pressure hose.  The AC would work fine for short periods of time then nothing.  Living in Florida, I needed to find a fix for my AC problem.  The solution was hard to find.  But I had to replace the thermal control amplifier (http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=27675-92000) which is located in the wiring harness behind the glove box.  Part costs about $30 and it took about 15 minutes to install it.  Now my AC works great.  

3rdmartini 3rdmartini
Posted: 07/12/07
08:47 AM

Did you install the part yourself?  I just purchased it and the in-cabin filter hoping this will be the end to my problems.

I've had my 2000 Xterra in the shop 3 times this summer trying to fix the A/C.  It's been 3-4 years since it's worked reliably.  The mechanic said that my system still had pressure and even though he fixed a couple of small leaks, there was no major problem.  That, coupled with the fact that I always know when the A/C is going to fail because for a day or so beforehand, the compressor turns on and off fairly frequently leads me to believe that HOPEFULLY the thermal control amplifier will fix it.  

kenneth21 kenneth21
Posted: 07/16/07
08:51 PM

My wife's 2000 Xterra A/C has been acting up since last summer.  I have replaced the dryer unit and pressure switch, recharged with freon countless times but it still only worked some of the time.  Today, I replaced the thermal control amplifier, nissan part 27675-9Z000.  The dealership charged me $36, they tried to charge me $56, but another Denver area nissan dealership I had called told me $36, so this dealership matched their price.  The other postings are correct, it only takes about 30 minutes.  I drove it around for over 30 minutes and the A/C works like new.  Absolutely no problems during my test run.  Will keep you posted in the weeks to come.  

1soxfan 1soxfan
Posted: 07/19/07
07:00 AM

My ac is working but blowing cool not cold air, I have evacuated the system and replaced the freon but stil have the same problem.The low pressure side is between 40 and 50 psi with the line cold to the touch. Any ideas  

davidm-#002 davidm-#002
Posted: 07/23/07
05:30 AM

My 2000 Xterra has over 100,000 miles so it is out of warrenty.  I have taken it to the Firestone repir shop 5 times and spent $1500 with no success.  The A/C is cold on days when the temperature is cool and when it gets hot it goes on and off.  They have replaced everything including the compressor and it still doesn't work properly.  I wish I knew what the problem was?  

ecorattt ecorattt
Posted: 07/26/07
07:27 PM

Confused WOW!  I can't believe this thread.. My AC went out a couple weeks ago & I thought it was a fluke.. but wow.. now with this thread.. I may think its a Nissan Issue..I went on Ebay & bought a new AC compressor & will put it in on Saturday.. i'll give everyone the update on what happens..If this doesn't work.. i'll look into getting that sensor thing thats behind the glove box  Wink  

3rdmartini 3rdmartini
Posted: 07/28/07
06:01 PM

I got the thermal control amplifier installed the other night and it did not do the trick AT ALL.  Still blowing hot air.

I did notice that the cooling unit behind the glove compartment was filled with leaves and dirt.  I cut holes and also installed the in-cabin air filters, but I'm thinking that maybe the condenser is clogged with dirt and that blowing it out might help.  Has anyone found any relief from doing that?  

radar2000 radar2000
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/01/07
10:00 AM

Hi everyone.

Looks like I've just joined the "My Nissan's A/C isn't working club".

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima V6. Just recently I've noticed that the A/C in the car intermittently blows warm air for a few minutes and then starts to blow cold air again. So I took my car to my local mechanic this morning and they ran an A/C test (pressure, freon, component, UV leak). They did not find anything wrong from these test. There were no leaks. They said that they were able to replicate the intermittent warm air issue but then the car ran cold for 2 hours. They said that they suspect that it could be a sensor issue and that I should take my car to Nissan for them to run some sensor tests...because they didn't have they right equipment to run these tests for Nissan.

After reading the above thread, it seems like my issue could very well be this thermal sensor amplifier. Before I brought my car in today, I noticed that the A/C clutch was not initiating as it should when the warm air was blowing...which made me think that it could be a signal issue. Anyways, I called my Nissan stealership and the part for my Altima was $50.

What do you guys think? Should I buy this part and try to replace the sensor? Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.  

romeeko romeeko
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/03/07
07:19 PM

WOW anothe AC addition to MY AC is not working Club
I have a 2002 Xterra and about 6 months ago or so it started blowing warm air then cold. When it came on the belt would sqeal
I had been traveling a lot for work and did nto have time to take it in
I finally found a mechanic and took it in
They replaced the Dryer and COndenser because there was some leakage. (697)
The sqealing stopped but kept hearing the compressor engage and dis engage
When I picked up the car it was blowing really cold air. I was so excited.
Then I went to lunch that day and the warm air came back. It has been back and forth every since

They checked it again after I finally got it to do it again. They found a ground not conencted on the amplifier. They fixed it. Cold air came out
I got the car back and then the same problems started occurring

After reading this thread I think it is that aplifier part. The mechanic said that is the only other thing it could be

Is it easy to change or should I take it back?

Thank You  

verytrue verytrue
Posted: 08/04/07
02:30 AM

Hi. I have the exact same problem with '3rdmartini' though mine is Altima 2000. After intermittent air conditioning problem, it finally stopped working. Fans only blew warm air.

When took it to the dealer shop, they said it was ECM computer, so I replaced to the used one. Then it worked intermittently. Soon after, it's gone dead again. I changed temperature control amplifier this time, but nothing changes.

This time, I went to the dealer again explaining my problem. Their answer was ECM again, stating that the ground is not coming from ECM for air conditioning.

My feeling is that ECM truly does not ground up for air conditioner. But the initial reason is wires or temperature control sensor. Either of them gave overhead to the ECM so that the ground part for air conditioner became malfunctioning. When I first took my altima to local mechanic(before going to dealer), it used to work at least intermittently. But the mechanic turned on/off fan switch more than 100 times/min. Then, it stopped completely. So I guess this may have caused the problem. But I don't know.

I am on my way of making a decision whether I need to install ECM again, or ask them to look into the other possibilities such as disconnected wires.

If any one solved problem, please post here how you did it.
I would do the same for you.

I see many of them are not coming back, but I hope somebody comes here and post their afterwards.

Thank you.  

romeeko romeeko
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
12:12 PM

I got home and said I can't go all weekend with it acting this we with the Florida heat.
I went to the local nissan dealership and picked up 27675-9Z000 amplifier. It was 56 bucks with Tax. I opened it and it is 2 wires with a thermostat at the end. Wow expensive for a little part.
After about 30 minutes or so I got it changed out.

It now works like a charm.

Thank you  

Knute Knute
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
08:40 PM

I have a 2000 nissan frontier with the same a/c problem everyone here is having, I removed the glove compartment and I can't find the thermal control amplifier? It's supposed to be red and in the lower left area of where the glove compartment would be, but I just can't find it?!?! any help would be much appreciated. thank you.  

nismohater nismohater
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 06/07
08:53 PM

There is a new forum for issues relating to recalls/bulletins or other problems on any Nissan. It has contact information as well as other victims stories.  Stop by and check it out and post up if you have had a problem.

Thanks

http://www.thenissanfight.com  

Prev |  1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Xterra
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories: