Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2000 Xterra Air Conditioning problem!!! Help!!!

| 
henryp henryp
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 11/30/06
09:59 PM

I have taken my Xterra back to the dealers at least on five occasions because my air con just stops working.

On the last two occasions they said it was the high pressure hose and both times it cost me over $450!

The last time I got this repaired was in May 2006, and now as before the Air Con has just stopped working again!

Does anyone have any idea's what the problem could be? The dealer in Tampa isn't very helpful at all and their lack of help to solve the problem is causing me great concern, I would just like the problem solved once and for all, if anyone has any alternative ideas I would be most greatful.

Thanks, Henryp  

Mr.K Mr.K
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/12/07
10:24 AM

Wow, that sucks.  You should check out www.nissantech.com  Post this up over there and see what they can do for you.  

kcuellar kcuellar
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/19/07
09:28 AM

Hey Henry, We wrote this on the main Nissan site. I suggest you do the same and I would encourage you to make it public if you have the opportunity like we do w/our local TV station. Good luck!

The airconditioning in our 2000 Nissan Xterra has gone out FOUR times, all due to the SAME high pressure hose being faulty. We have replaced this hose three times, each time the parts manager at our local Nissan dealership refrencing how many of these hoses he sells and that it is definately A PROBLEM. Now that we are on our FOURTH time, and having a 8 month old baby w/summer right around the corner, I'M FED UP. Nissan needs to correct this problem and either make a hose that won't break or replace my entire system. After searching the internet, I have found that there are many people just like me, that have all paid and paid and paid to have their AC fixed by Nissan, same hose everytime. Why has there not been a recall?? Not to mention the driver window problem that Xterra owners are all experiencing. What is wrong with Nissan?? We have owned 7 Nissans - Xterra, 240 SX, Pathfinder, Sentra, 2 extended cabs and a truck. This will be the last one we buy if Nissan does not make this right. I also have a call in to our local news station who has a special segment on this very thing. I am a stay at home wife and mother. I have nothing better to do than to persue this thing until your company either issues a recall so everyone can finally have their AC permanently fixed or you replace my entire system, free of charge. My local dealership, Hudiberg Nissan, has been of no help. Seems to be "my problem" and I need to see if "my part" is still covered by a part warranty so they can give me yet another FAULTY HOSE so I can repeat this process EVERY YEAR until I sell this car. Not to mention labor and freon costs that we are out each time. I am extremely frustrated and like I said, I'm prepared to go as far as I need to - this is an obvious problem that Nissan needs to take responsibility for and FIX.  

kaycie kaycie
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/11/07
08:03 AM

I have not been to dealer yet, but I am in same boat.  My regular mechanic has tried everything to find the leak and cannot find it.  Last summer he put coolant in a few times to get me through summer. After reading your posts though, I think I will try a local shop that specializes in air conditioning before I start handing $450 over to my local dealer every so often.   Confused  I will come back and let you know if I have better or worse results.  

bigdave1966 bigdave1966
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/30/07
04:29 PM

i have a 2000 xterra all the same problems ! had both hoses replaced !no fix ! then i posted my problem .... here is the magic fix !!! thermo probe in the evap. its behind the glove box some where. the  nissan mec told me he has seen it a million times. guess what that was it !!! i have had every thing else changed. low preasure swith. both hoses.charged recharged . leake detector. thats how we found the small hose leaks ! but if you have tried all that and not the thero probe  thats going to do it . good luck !!  

bigdave1966 bigdave1966
Posted: 04/30/07
04:55 PM

i had all the same problems.  if you have had it checked for leaks and its fully charged and the low preasure switch is good. i had both my hose replaced and the low preasure switch replaced. than charged.and heres the only thing no one checked !!! temp sensor in evaporator !!! behind glove box. that did the trick !!!!!! good luck !  

voltek1 voltek1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/07/07
10:55 PM

I have a 2000 xterra...All of a sudden I had no cold air. Along with that, there is a terrible roaring (or rumbling)noise when the ac is running. The noise is in the dash somewhere, can't hear it under the hood. I recharged the system and that lasted about a day or two. Any ideas?? Maybe a seal or something? I am in Georgia and it is about to get HOT, and I don't have the $$ for a shop to rob me of. Help!!
 David
 voltek1@yahoo.com  

markrgi markrgi
Posted: 05/10/07
04:09 AM

I am having the same symptoms.  Replaced the high pressure and low pressure hoses.  A/C works great sometimes, othertimes not at all.  

I am going to follow up on your suggtestion.  Do you have a part number for the thermo probe.  When I called Nissan Parts, they seemed at a loss with just thermo prob in the evaporator.  If I could direct them a little more specifically.

Thanks, this is a troublesome problem.  

bigdave bigdave
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/05
Posted: 05/13/07
03:04 PM

sorry it took so long o reply. it was called a temp sensor not a thermo probe. sorry it is located behind the dash around the glove box.it is beside or in the evaporator. if you can not get any info on a part number let me know. ill get it from my mech.i replaced both my hoses and the low presure switch. worked ok but not right untill i heard obout this temp sensor in evp.  

xterra1596 xterra1596
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/15/07
07:12 AM

Hey Everybody, This part that you guys are referring to is called a Thermo Control Amplifier. It is 58 bucks at my Georgia dealership. Jeff  

bigdave1966 bigdave1966
Posted: 05/15/07
03:26 PM

yea!!!! what he said!!!! lol  yeap thats it ..... thanks man !!!  

thomweber thomweber
Posted: 05/16/07
05:40 PM

I do have a 2000 xterra and we do have an issue with the A/C:

It worked fine till we had the car in the shop to do the timing belt maintenance (replaced all belts).

I went back to the dealer and the guy who did the job looked at it and fixed it right away, (I didn't watch what he was doing but I am guessing that he forgot to put a plug in). Worked fine for the whole last summer now after the cold Chicago winter we switch it on and nothing but a noticable click from the compressor but no cold air.

Any guess what it could be?  

graphx64 graphx64
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 06/22/07
01:49 PM

yeah, we have a 2000 Nissan Altima and the ac goes in and out. have had the condenser replaced by nissan dealership and it's still not working right. i've taken it in 4 times. this last time they said it "could be" the thermomaster. what the heck it that? a thermostat? Nissan said it would be another $300 to repair this after paying $600 for them to replace the condenser. part price was about $40 bucks and $270 was labor. sick of nissan's runaround. not buying nissan again unless they can make good on their crappy vehicle parts and service. tired of their runaround.  Frown

we have another friend who has the same make/model and his ac is doing the same thing. also, cd player went out in his as did ours.  

shellmartinesco shellmartinesco
Posted: 06/27/07
07:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  I to have been having the same problem with my 2000 Xterra.  My husband and I have replaced everything except the compressor and the part you had mentioned.  I did note that you gave the correct naming for the part in another area.  We will definatley check that out.  Otherwise the dealer, pep boys, and a shop that specializes in car air conditioning has not been able to figure out why this is happening. Smirk   I will hopefully try that within the next few days and let everyone know if that helped my same problem! Wink  

jellisjenius jellisjenius
Posted: 06/28/07
08:55 AM

Looks like this is a common Nissan issue from that early '00s period.  I have an '02 Sentra SE-R which had a bad condenser (from hitting a deer a few years back), and after I paid $600 to get the condenser replaced, I found this same problem - the AC will just randomly shut off, and the engine starts pulling hard and losing more RPMs than it should.  My mechanic (who I trust) did some digging and feels like it is probably a faulty thermo control amplifier, which regulates the internal temperature and shuts off the AC if it is too hot or cold.  Apparently Nissans from this period tend to have an inordinately high rate of these amplifiers just going bad for no good reason.  

Hopefully replacing this part will solve the problem...although I'm not happy about shelling out more $$.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2015 Nissan Xterra
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
SUV
Rating:
N

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com