1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

Unintended acceleration problems with Scion

| 
MichaelRN MichaelRN
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/24/06
01:42 PM

My sister bought a new Scion the other day.  She pulled it into a friends driveway, stopped the car, went in to visit.  When she started the car, she put it into Drive, the car surged forward uncontrollably, she put on the brakes which did nothing to stop it.  It smashed into a car in front of it.  Has anyone had any similar experiences, answers, insights into what could have happened?  Thanks.  

joannelbaker joannelbaker
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/17/09
03:00 PM

I had the same thing happen yesterday on the highway when I was making a turn.  My husband took the Scion to the dealer today and they say that nothing is wrong with it.  I am afraid to drive it.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4548 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 11/17/09
07:40 PM

what's really important... is to practice putting the car in NEUTRAL.. while you are driving it.. this will stop any run away car instantly...   don't worry about the motor blowing .. the computer will kick in the rev limiter to stop the motor from blowing..

scion is made by toyota...     so the out of control problems seem to be spreading..

the second is to open this link and fill out the form...   you will need your VIN numbers and car mileage.. possibly the date of production on the door jam information sticker...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/  

victoria7427 victoria7427
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/16/10
04:57 PM

Since I bought my Scion TC in May of 2009 I have been experiencing this issue, but it would occur on the low speed 20-30mph. Yesterday it has happened on highway. It accelerated from 65 to 73-75mph WHILE I was pushing break repeatedly! I took it to local Toyota dealer and I was turned back as they were not able to duplicate this issue and this car is not on the recall list, even thou it is build with identical accelerating part with Corolla that is on the recall! Please contact me who is experiencing this issue at victoria7427@gmail.com. I will file a claim against Scion Toyota that will help to resolve this issue for all. For now here is a number to call to start a case regarding this issue (866)707-2466. Be save!!  

RickL RickL
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/23/10
11:30 PM

Our 21 year old daughter Maryann was killed in a single car crash on July 4th 2009 in her 2007 scion tc. the officer said the car was traveling around 80 to 100 mph. & swerved to avoid hitting another car then lost control & slammed into a pole,their were no skid marks. we believe the brakes did not respond to the high speed..We know our daughter would never drive that fast. We are now hearing & seeing more people talking about recalls & the scion tc even though we have not heard of a recall on that model. we will be contacting a lawyer soon to look into this. please respond if you have any input on the scion tc problem. My daughter was a beautiful active young girl,our first child.
you can google, Maryann Lombana it happened in Port Charlotte,FL

Lrick9@yahoo.com  

sonagenics sonagenics
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/05/10
05:30 PM

I have had the same problem but while driving at low speeds. I thought it was my imagination. Then yesterday while doing a U-Y in a cul-de-sac, I took my foot off of the pedal to slow down and the car took off! I hit the brake fast and was fine, but my boyfriend was really upset. So here I am researching....  

moli315 moli315
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/16/10
01:00 PM

We currently represent clients where the drivers of Scions were killed when their vehicle unintentionally accelerated.

We were wondering if you would give us an affidavit of events involving toyota-scion.

We need this information as we are preparing a case for unintentional acceleration  since we believe that Toyota has hidden this information.

Please would you contact me to discuss whether you have an attorney for this matter, if you do, we need to discuss this with your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, would you please contact me so we can discuss getting that help for our case against Toyota.  Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, I can be reached at 203-380-1556 or reply can be sent via email to moliveras@perkinsandassoc.com. I look forward to hearing from you!  

valleypt valleypt
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/06/10
05:31 PM

Not only do I have un-intended accelleration which pulls to the left, I also have un-expected decelleration which pulls to the right.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4548 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/07/10
06:02 AM

there have been steering problems reported with toyotas also...

please copy and paste the following link..

it is the quickest way to get help.. that goes to the proper united states government inspectors ..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is what you will see when you open the page..

FILE A SAFETY COMPLAINT

Form Approved: O.M.B. No. 2127-0008
HOW TO REPORT A SAFETY COMPLAINT
Select how you would like to report your complaint. See below for information regarding this form.
ONLINE: Select the "Begin Form" button to the right.
BY PHONE: Call the Hotline, Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at
(888) 327-4236 , TTY: (800) 424-9153.

WHO WE ARE
We are The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways.
WHY YOUR COMPLAINT IS IMPORTANT
Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA-ODI's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.
If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must provide a remedy at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
HOW YOUR COMPLAINT IS HANDLED
Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) will open an investigation to determine if a safety defect trend exists. Some of these investigations result in safety recalls.
While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA-ODI investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends.
FILLING OUT THIS FORM
Types of safety complaints
There are four types of safety complaints you can report.
Vehicles: All motor vehicles -- cars, heavy trucks, RV's, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, buses, etc.
Tires: All types of tires -- requires you to submit your vehicle information as well.
Equipment: Non-original equipment -- replacement oil filters, wipers, RV accessories, lights, floor jacks, etc.
Child Restraint: All types of child restraints --infant seats, booster seats, convertibles, etc.
Time needed to complete
The average time to complete the minimum requirements of this form is eight to ten minutes. It is advised you gather the necessary information for your complaint type before completing the complaint form.
Information needed
Below is a list of items you will need for each type of Complaint. Select the "+" button for the type to see what information you will need.
Vehicles
Model Year
Make
Model
Component*
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (Optional, but very important)
Found on registration or insurance card.
* Component -- Part or system of concern
Tires
Equipment
Child Restraints
Consumer

Send your suggestions or comments to webmaster@nhtsa.dot.gov.

All the information that you submit to NHTSA will be transmitted using secure mechanism.

The Privacy Act of 1974 - Public Law 93-579, As Amended: This information is requested pursuant to the authority vested in the National Highway Traffic Safety Act and subsequent amendments. You are under no obligation to respond to this questionnaire. Your response maybe used to assist the NHTSA in determining whether a manufacturer should take appropriate action to correct a safety defect. If the NHTSA proceeds with administration enforcement or litigation against a manufacturer, your response, or statistical summary thereof, may be used in support of the agency's action.  

tammy123 tammy123
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/14/11
02:25 PM

i bought a 2006 scion tc in 2007. i have the same problem accelerates at low speeds. hum thought it was me. then the hatch button broke so her i am looking for any recalls seems a lot of people are having the same problems  

2didwiggy 2didwiggy
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/16/11
02:23 PM

Icon QuoteMichaelRN:
My sister bought a new Scion the other day.  She pulled it into a friends driveway, stopped the car, went in to visit.  When she started the car, she put it into Drive, the car surged forward uncontrollably, she put on the brakes which did nothing to stop it.  It smashed into a car in front of it.  Has anyone had any similar experiences, answers, insights into what could have happened?  Thanks.

need to read out the computer, i have a 98 old silhoutte and it will some times accellerate to 2500 rpms, pulling a trailer no fun trying to stop but just turn off ignition and restart and rpms return to normal, will read out bad tps( throttle position sensor)  

Sarah White Sarah White
User | Posts: 77 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 07/09/11
08:43 AM

I had the same problem, you just need to replace your breaks  
Find Cheap Insurance. Save up to 700$ with http://www.onlinetopinsurance.com

titta70 titta70
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/03/13
07:29 AM

Hi, I had the same situation with my Scion XB... I stop in the parking lot to let a person walk by and when I a touched the pedal to move the car forward to park the car took off uncontrollably, I put on the brakes which did nothing to stop it. I smashed into a tree in front of it. I went to the dealer to see if they can install the brake system The new system averts collisions if the driver mistakenly hits the gas pedal instead of the brake. It can also prevent rear-end collisions of cars running at high speeds.
They told me that they could not do it…  The manager of the parts dept. told me that was not possible that the car could accelerate on their own… He suggested to trade in my car for another Toyota.. It was not help at all.…  We contacted 10 lawyers but nobody was able to help me because I didn’t get hurt…  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1856 | Joined: 03/13
09:01 PM

there is a lawyer here in court with Toyota right now.. in los angeles..

Garo Mardirossian,
6311 Wilshire Blvd  Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 653-6311  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Guru | Posts: 1856 | Joined: 03/13
09:10 PM

Attorneys wrapped up arguments Wednesday in a $20-million lawsuit against Toyota Motor Corp. that arose from a 2009 wreck that killed an Upland woman.

The Los Angeles County Superior Court jury is to decide whether Toyota was negligent by not including a particular safety device on Noriko Uno's 2006 Camry, or whether the crash resulted from her poor driving.

Uno's car accelerated unexpectedly, heading the wrong way down a street before hitting a telephone pole and a tree.

In the trial, Garo Mardirossian, the attorney for Uno's heirs, contended that design flaws including lack of a brake override system in the Camry led to Uno’s death.

However, Vincent Galvin Jr., an auto product liability attorney representing Toyota, argued that an override system would not have prevented the crash that killed Uno. He said the wreck was most likely caused by Uno mistaking the gas pedal for the car's brakes.

The case is expected to set the direction for hundreds of similar lawsuits against the automaker in connection with incidents of unintended acceleration.

Last week, Ford Motor Co. won a Torrance Superior Court lawsuit that also alleged the automaker was obligated to include a safety device that wasn’t sold with a vehicle. A jury ruled for the automaker after deliberating for an hour, rejecting a claim that Ford's F-150 pickup truck should have been equipped with an inflatable seat belt.

The case brought by Isaura Garcia and Celia Morando arose from a Compton wreck nearly three years ago. In that crash, Garcia pressed down on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal while exiting a freeway, causing the truck to hit a guard rail, a Honda Civic, a Lexus LS400 and a utility pole.  

The occupants of the truck survived but sustained multiple injuries.

Attorneys Steven Smelser and Raymond Hua of the Yukevich, Cavanaugh law firm successfully argued that the crash was caused by the driver and that the vehicle had adequate safety systems that protected the plaintiffs.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories: