Ad Radar

Automotive Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Home | Active Posts | Search | Log In / Register | Terms | FAQs
Xml
Item Posts   

MY 1999 NISSAN QUEST GLE MINIVAN IS OVERHEATING, WHY?

| 
1999 Family Minivan 1999 Family Minivan
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/24/06
01:12 PM

For the last two days, the needle on the temperature gauge inside the vehicle has been steadying right around the "high normal" area.  The engine is sounding rough and the fan seems to be working overtime trying to keep the engine cool.  I took it to the auto repair shop, and they did a pressure test on the cooling system and determined that there was a hole in the radiator hose, and the radiator was drained and bone dry, blowing steam out of it.  So, we had the hose replaced, refilled with fluid.

Initially, it seemed to correct the problem.  But, later in the day, the needle on the temperature gauge has spiked again in the "high normal" area and again, the smell of anti-freeze is prevalent.

Is it possible the radiator is bad and needs replaced, or a thermostat needs replaced?  

I have looked through the manuals that came with my 1999 Nissan Quest GLE minivan, and they don't say anything about this?

Can someone help me out before I end up sinking hundreds of dollars into this?

Sincerely,

Anthony and Lisa  

1999 Family Minivan 1999 Family Minivan
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/06
01:16 PM

At first glance, it doesn't seem that there is any new leaking coming from the engine compartment after replacing the worn radiator hose.

It appears that the fluid isn't cycling through the system like its supposed to, like there is some kind of blockage preventing the radiator fluid from cycling through?

Sincerely,

Anthony and Lisa  

RexRat RexRat
User | Posts: 86 | Joined: 11/06
02:35 PM

Your best bet is to replace your thermostat. It is a good idea to replace the thermostat when you change the coolant and preform a coolant flush. If you have and use tools then buy a manual from auto zone when you buy your thermostat and gasket. The book will tell you how to flush the system and change the thermostat. Also look in the air inlet for blockages in the face of the radiator. As you drain the system you should be able to see the core of the radiator. You should see row after row of small tubes if they are full of deposits you need a new radiator if the seem cleen then this is not the fault.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
2014 Nissan Quest
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Minivan/Van
Rating:
Poor Poor

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com