Item Posts   

351w 5.8L distribuor rotor alignment and firing order help

| 
Elizstoy Elizstoy
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/08/07
05:15 PM

Ignition Rotor Alignment & Firing order  
Message:  I have a 1980 Lincoln Mark VI engine 351w 5.8L. I changed the distributor cap and rotor and wires during a tune up. Now the car wont start. So i have an MITCHELL Auto Repair Program plus went to ALLDATA. Still confused one says the carry over design rotor funny looking has contacts on top and bottom since i can not post pics or html to link to a pic kinda hard to explain. I used ALLDATAS link to a 1982 FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA since it had the V8 351 5.8L VIN G 2BBL. Found the NO 1 cyl removed plug cranked engine felt pressure. Now from here it says turn engine slowly until timing mark shows 10 degrees after TDC then align rotor with alignment slot on adaptor Ok i guess. Now gets funnier one page says firing order counter clock wise and since rotor doesent point to number one tower picture shows number one tower on cap is two over from cap clip firing order 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. But when i read more it says the DURA SPARK III unique distributor with its two level design the firing order is molded into the cap and i shouldnt use the counter clock method HELP is the 10 degrees ATDC correct to align rotor? Is the number one tower 2 over from the cap clip since rotor aligns another way? And the firing order is it the cap numbers or counter clock wise order. Thanks  

jeep god jeep god
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/24/07
06:01 PM

Well Hope this helps.

1st  Ford small block engines can use two differet firing orders

Counter-clockwise 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 OR Counter-clockwise 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Do like you did and remove the number 1 plug find top dead center align the timing indicator to 0 to 10 degress and the rotor should point to number one on the cap if you haven't removed the dist from the engine.
If you goofed up on finding number one it should be pointing to the oppsite side of the dist. hence 180 deg out.

Then try either of the firing orders. They change because of different cam shafts Ford used in these engines.One isn't better then the other there just different..You maybe able to locate the proper firing order for your engine on the intake manifold by the front of the carb(buried in vacuum hoses)Good Luck...Please let me know if this helped.  

Elizstoy Elizstoy
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 02/04/07
12:40 PM

Jeep thanks for the reply but the rotor is a bi-level since io cant use html or post a pic it is a WELLS F963 which does not at TDC align with number one but with a alignment grove inside the bottom half of the distributor. AllDATA from AutoZone says use firing order. My MITCHELL AUTO REPAIR program says because of the unique design of the cap use the numbers molded on the cap for firing order. One place shows #1 tower at the 1oclock position if you are standing in front of the car looking in another Lincoln forum says no #1 tower at 10 oclock. See if this works here are the cap and rotor pics.

Cap.- http://www.geocities.com/elisthe1/gps_fr118_full.jpg
Rotor.- http://www.geocities.com/elisthe1/gps_fr119_full.jpg

But thank you for the reply  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com