Item Posts   

caravan scan codes PO700 and PO740

| 
lats lats
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/05/07
02:56 PM

Hi,
I hope someone can give me some clearer info on what I should do. I have a 2000 Grand Caravan and the engine light has been on so it will not pass the smog test in CA. The scan codes that come up are PO740 and PO700. I have been told that the van does not go into 5th gear. (I never really noticed when it stopped doing this) Is it possible that if the PO740 (clutch) is fixed, will the PO700 be cleared as well? Is there another test to determine more specifically where the problem in the transmission could be?
Thank you
Lor  

JEEPTECH JEEPTECH
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 11/06
09:03 PM

the P0700 code is an internal trans controller ,P0740 is torque converter clutch control circuit,replaced your trans controller this should fix both codes if the P0740 does comes back replace your solenoid pack....  

jippadyak jippadyak
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 12/06
09:04 PM

P0700 is an information code that tell there is a fault code stored in the trans control module which in your case is P0740. if the cause of the dtc P0740 is corrected then the MIL lamp should go out. further; code P0740 will not cause a limp-in and the trans will still shift up to 4th gear (not 5th, your trans doesn't have it)only the effect is the torque converter lock-up together with the mil lamp illumination. possible causes of the P0740 codes are worn pump bushing and/or failed torque converter. valve body lock-up accumulator out of specs (possible but not likely).  

lats lats
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/06/07
01:52 AM

Thank you both for posting your responses. I really appreciated your help. I do have a few more questions. What is the price range to fix the possible problems? I was told by a mechanic that I will probably need a new/rebuilt transmission for $3000. How would I know that another transmission is the answer? Also, I don't know if there is a connection to the scan code problems, but sometimes the car does not turn over when I turn on the ignition. There is no sound and if I keep turning the key on and off, then by the 5th time, the van will start. Does anyone think there is a connection to the other things or do I just need a new starter?
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and educating all of us.
Lor  

jippadyak jippadyak
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 01/06/07
04:57 PM

i suggest that you take your van to the dealer or any trans shop that can perform the 41TE TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE with the aid of a DRB3 or any high-end scanner capable of accessing operations of the 41TE trans.you may not need a new trans and may not spend as much as you was told. as for the starting issue it may or may not be related to the trans. maybe related if the TRS (trans range sensor inside the trans)is malfunctioning but not likely, so you have to check it separately.  

JEEPTECH JEEPTECH
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 01/07/07
09:28 AM

im a dumb *** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

vanmom vanmom
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/03/07
07:51 PM

I had the same starter problem a couple of months ago...a new starter fixed the problem.  

w5tdn w5tdn
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/24/08
08:39 PM

Hi,
I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and I replaced the flex plate and drove it about a week and now the engine light came on and shows the codes  PO700 and PO740. Does anyone know what causes or what to do to fix this. Thank you,
                                                      Tom  

jgate-#002 jgate-#002
Guru | Posts: 953 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 05/25/08
10:56 AM

The p077 is there to tell you that there is a code in the TCM (transmission control module) the PO740 is problem with the torque clutch solenoid converter circuit.  

w5tdn w5tdn
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 06/24/08
09:38 AM

Hi,
I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and I replaced the flex plate and drove it about a week and now the engine light came on and shows the codes  PO700 and PO740. Does anyone know what causes or what to do to fix this. Thank you,
tom  

Layne Layne
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/13/08
04:12 PM

I basiclly have the same problem 2000 Chrysler Town & Country P0700 code no other codes and leaking transmission fluid. If I keep the transmission full I would't know I had a problem except the engine light is on all the time and the transmission fluid leak. As previously posted the Internal Transmission Controller, is this something the do it yourselfer can do and where is it located on the vehicle? My haynes manual only tells how to check the fluid.  Confused  

waynep712 waynep712
Enthusiast | Posts: 652 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 11/13/08
11:45 PM

P0700-EATX controller DTC present
P0703-Brake switch sense circuit/switch stuck pressed or released
P0711-Transaxle temperature sensor shows no temperature rise after start-up
P0712-Transaxle temperature sensor voltage too low
P0713-Transaxle temperature sensor voltage too high
P0720-Output speed sensor circuit malfunction
P0740-Torque Converter Clutch, No RPM Drop At Lockup
P0743-Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid/Trans. Relay Circuits
P0748-Governor pressure solenoid control/transaxle relay circuits
P0751-Overdrive switch pressed (LO) for more than 5 minutes
P0753-Transaxle 3-4 shift solenoid/transaxle relay circuits
P0756-AW4 shift solenoid B (2-3) functional failure
P0783-3-4 shift solenoid, no RPM drop at lockup

i would start with fixing the leak....  where ever it is...  and there are repair seals to support the output shafts  when they get too loose in the case...  check with the aftermarket trans parts stores...    

with a P0700 code i would start with new relays up on the firewall that power the trans controller..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com