First |  Prev |  7 |  8 |  9
Item Posts   

2001 Dodge Caravan....key won't turn

| 
ajorg ajorg
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/18/11
02:45 PM

Just replaced my ignition lock cylinder for my Chrysler 2000 T & C van.  Your youtube was invaluable and dead on.  The part cost me $68 (a Dorman) and took all of 15 min. Van started right up.

Thanks for all the good info. Saved me a a good chunk of change.  

ajorg ajorg
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/18/11
02:46 PM

Just replaced my ignition lock cylinder for my Chrysler 2000 T & C van.  Your youtube was invaluable and dead on.  The part cost me $68 (a Dorman) and took all of 15 min. Van started right up.

Thanks for all the good info. Saved me a a good chunk of change.  

Strandedagain2 Strandedagain2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/22/12
11:32 AM

Can you believe...2012...and these vans continue to have the same issues. Thanks to everyone's advice...I'm heading out to the car with a mallot. What a piece of junk. I though it was bad enough that the window motor went out and the heater and heater fan goes out frequently but when you can't start it at all...plus it's difficult to tow.
Good luck!  

JohnH1962 JohnH1962
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/24/12
05:10 PM

Well, I got a really good one. I have a 2001 Voyager, key issue. I've been tapping the key to get it to work for about 6 months before I decided to fix it by purchasing a new Dorman replacement cylinder..... "Easier the changing the oil"!!!!!!!!

I dis-assembled the old lock cylinder, carefully following the instructions; however the numbers on the old tumblers were so worn I could hardly read them. I put the new ones in the new cylinder thinking I had it correct, but I was wrong. Now I cannot get it apart to try another combination. Am I screwed? Seems like a bad design that the only way to test if you're tumbler combination is correct by a "one shot test".

Any help would be appreciated.

-John.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Addict | Posts: 4561 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 01/24/12
06:15 PM

you might be close with the combo.. so you might work the key in and out slightly while twisting slightly.. sometimes if its really close.. you can get it to turn..

usually a locksmith or somebody who knows how to pick locks is needed to pick it open..

as many cars as i have had apart.. i have NOT had this lock cylinder in my hands.. i totally understand how it works..

the wafers are spring loaded upwards. and downwards on the bottom of the plug..   the key pulls them down till they are level with the surface both top and bottom..

if the wrong key is used... the wafers will not be pulled down to the correct height..  either not far enough down or too far... this prevents turning of the plug in the case...

i cannot tell if there is room to work a tool like a paper clip in to lower the wafers on both sides  from the  BACK of the lock.. to allow you to turn the plug to remove it..

i am hoping that you have NOT shoved it back into your steering column and found it won't allow the key to be turned..

if you have NOT done that..

in the mean time.. you still have all the old lock parts... the wafers are already out..   go in with a pin of some kind and carefully extract the springs from the ends of the slots.  then reassemble the old lock plug into the old lock case...  and stick a key in it and verify it works...

you can now if you have verified that it does work.. use that lock to start and operate the car until you can get the new part unlocked and properly coded..  

Dragonheart65 Dragonheart65
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/08/12
10:43 AM

I'm new to these boards and the question was posted quite a while ago, but that video is private and I cannot see it. I will try the hammer trick as our 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan has issues with the key locking in the ignition. The valet key is the worst. I have the original key and it is starting to bend from trying to start the engine many times from it being locked up. This seems to be a big problem for Chrysler/Dodge.

But if anyone has the video that is NOT private for the Dorman products I'd be very appreciative so I may view the video and get his problem solved once and for all. Thanks. Crazy  

Dragonheart65 Dragonheart65
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/12
10:46 AM

We seem to have the same problems LOL. 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan key locks up and the window motor crapped out and sometimes window won't go back up. No wonder people aren't too pscyhed to buy American cars anymore!  Shocked  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
03:33 PM

try this link

http://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/Installation_Videos/video_Page.html

look for the video called ignition lock cylinder chrysler

or google     dormanproducts chrysler lock cylinder..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Guru | Posts: 825 | Joined: 03/12
03:34 PM

if they take it down again.. i have a friend with one of these.. i will have him come over and i will do a step by step tear down and post it..

its not hard to do..

after you see it once..  

mmamajor mmamajor
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/13/12
05:50 AM

Awoke this cold morning to find our 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan had a stuck key cylinder. Put the key in and she would not budge. Turn wheel left and right, nothing. Found this forum, took a small hammer outside and by holding it backwards, tapped the key with the rubber handle 6 times...not hard but firmly...BINGO! Van started. Thanks!!  

Gman57 Gman57
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/09/13
09:16 PM

The rubber mallet fix worked! I had been trying for over an hour to get the key to our 2001 Dodge Caravan to turn in the freezing cold, the  car had stopped late at night, in the middle of the street on my wife and she was not happy! I finally googled this thread, dug up my rubber mallet and hit the key a few times and shazam! the ignition was able to turn. Thanks everyone for sharing this tip!!  

First |  Prev |  7 |  8 |  9
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide2
Get a free and easy new car
price quote in minutes
Button Getmyprice

Research Categories:

Sponsored Links

• Trade-in-Value.com